Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Somebody
4,668 Posts
Good thread this, helpful for everyone... Got me thinking that the Hella halogen I replaced the stock light on the Yanmarrrrr with could be improved even further.

Had thought to go LED, doing so at the Hill for indoor lighting, but I wanted something fast and simple to kick off the season with, blowing in the dark is weaksauce.

Supplies inbound, thanks for all the good links to what has been working.

Expect updates.

· Somebody
4,668 Posts
Welcome. I think that you'll be very happy with led lighting. What led's did you order? I agree, blowing in the dark is weak sauce!
Thanks... everyone has been super nice, great forum. :)

Ordered two sets, will decide if/where/how to mix and match after I get to play with 'em...

First is the 2x10w Cree-based rounds like those pictured toward the beginning of the thread:

And a pair of 2X4" 18w, also Cree-based:

Thinking now is: one or both of the 36w on the machine itself and one/both 10w on the chute, to light up the target area/roostertail. If that only needs one then maybe I'll point the other 10w to the rear, mounted down low, to see and be seen.

The original light had the switch on it, the current Hella does not so when I installed it I also added a toggle switch, where the hole for the choke knob was for the gas-powered version of my machine. Two switches won't fit there and the steel is like armor, don't really want to drill any extra holes... do want two switches though. Found these which should work real slick instead, I think:

We shall see... :D

· Somebody
4,668 Posts
Preliminary results in, first unit out of the box examined, one of the round 10w.

Just the facts ma'am.

Initial impression of robust construction slightly let down by somewhat careless finishing. For example: whatever it's coated in, they did it after the fine threads for the holes were tapped. Noticed right away, trying to thread the bracket to lamp module together, tight as. Ran the allen screw in by itself with some spray lube as you would a tap: two turns in, one turn out/lather rinse repeat. OK, threads clean, goes in fine... this however led me to suspect the integrity of the other three fasteners, namely those holding the 'face' of the lamp onto the body. Not extremely surprised to find one of the three stripped and spinning freely in its bore. Removed the allen screw (and a pile o' aluminum dust), and stuck it back in there with some Loctite 242. Good enough.

Here we add a pic instead of typing a thousand words:

Clear that the width of this bracket is just over 1mm more than the fixture it is meant to embrace... suspect that this is why many internet reviewers stripped the threads/have trouble getting it to stay tight. Bracket is fairly robust and the bolt is not up to compressing against it to maintain tightness in the supplied configuration. Adding a washer between the mounting fixture and bracket removed the slop and allowed for sufficient tightening without distorting the bracket. An even better solution may be to use toothed washers internally on both sides. Don't have some that size kicking around right now it seems, to be explored later.

With the washer in there/fair and square mounting the factory supplied bolt is just a hair too short, will also be rectified. Should have a lock washer under the bolt head too so.

Will check out one of the 18w next...

· Somebody
4,668 Posts
Screws all seem solid this time, let's move on to checking some dimensions.

We first look at the width of the lamp mounting fixture, on the light itself.

Callin' it 30.35mm.

Now let's look at the supplied bracket, at the base.

31.57 if I ever saw one.

She spreads 33.40 at the top.

No wonder folks can't get it on...

There will be vices, and washers.

· Somebody
4,668 Posts
Addendum to earlier post re. stripped hole in one of those 10w; decided not to be happy with the Loctite. Allen screw is an M3, found some slightly longer @10mm. Probing the depths with a toothpick said it would be mighty close so I trimmed the screw a little, couple of mm, beveling the end just slightly and cleaning it up real good. Went in tight, easy does it, but it did catch some thread and snug down well. Never know it happened:

Just in case anyone else runs into a similar problem//

· Somebody
4,668 Posts
But my cell phone warp charger requires 6A @ 5V = 30W...
...add a solar panel...? 😁

Andymann... yes we're giving you just a bit of a good-natured hard time... 'tis the Season to be jolly. 😎

I suggest doing some testing... haul the lights and a battery out in the dark and see if you really need both lights.

· Somebody
4,668 Posts
1 of these days someone almost needs to just make 1 really good post that cover most if not all the important info and then sticky it...
The problem with that is that LED tech has been rapidly evolving, and so has lots of the associated peripherals and available accessories.

You're welcome to try, but it's still shooting at a moving target... imo. I think we'd end up with another thread very similar to this one.

I dunno... ?

[Edit: You did give me an idea, which was to add a note to the first post in this thread reflecting the above. Thanks. Y.R.]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts