Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 7 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1,604 Posts
So when out and about searching for everything...: Does it matter what Bridge Rectifier??? I hate looking like a dummy when asked at the store lol. Then they(store clerk) says "Whats it for" and I say "snowblower" then they say "Pfft, we don`t handle that stuff, go to a snowblower shop" lol. Are there any certain ones I need? Mine is a 18v system if that matters any.
SE88
Thanks for this thread
I don't have a blower with an AC system, so I am just asking a couple questions on behalf of those that may.

Would one of these from my neighborhood Radio Shack work? Assuming the purchaser has the soldering skills to connect the four wires!
bridge rectifier at radio shack

Also
How much heat do you figure they make while rectifying say just 3 amps? Do you think it would fry it without any heatsink attached?

· Registered
1,604 Posts
Here are some before/after pics. I am quite surprised actually! Will have to check tomorrow, seems the switch must be sorta faulty. It worked somewhat earlier and now it doesn`t shut the light off. Light still flickers with the blower governor (maybe a little farting), but on full throttle it is alot better.
Make sure you are not "grounding" your negative wire in the DC side of the full wave rectifier. Wire it directly to the LED. Grounding your DC wire will turn it into a half wave and give you flicker. Your AC alternator is already using the chassis and you cant share them and keep it full wave.

· Registered
1,604 Posts
Do you really need a relay for this?
Couldn't you just use a double throw switch to the hand warmers?
Switch position 1 hand warmers on, extra LEDs off.
Switch position 2 hand warmers off, power to extra LED switch?

· Registered
1,604 Posts
P = U x I (17volt x ? = Watt)

U=Voltage

Hi Bubbenboy. Got a kick out of your U=Voltage. English is just as silly. E = Voltage.
I've l warmed up to an electrical instructor named Dan Sullivan. I say warmed up to because he is a little odd.
We use his books sometimes in classes we teach.
Here is his YouTube thoughts on the letters we use to label electrical terms.

I'm not familiar with Honda alternators, but Tecumseh has 1 amp, 2.5 amp, 3 amp, 5 amp, 7 amp and 10 amp variants.

· Registered
1,604 Posts
Did it blow while you were idling or running at a good speed ?? The higher the speed the more voltage the system produces and the lower the amperage you have in the circuit.
At 14 volts you'd be running a little under 1.5 amps but at 10 volts (idle?) you would be hitting 2 amps and blowing the fuse.
K4aF. I'm not getting your math.
The load (resistance) isn't changing.
Same two lamps.
Say for the sake of conversation they were 5 ohms total.What would the current be at 10 volts vs 14 volts?

1 - 7 of 8 Posts