Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I picked up a unit that used to be a track drive snowblower. Someone had pulled off the blower assy., and mounted a blade (fixed angle, scoop sides) on it. The owner before me said that it only moved a little bit of snow then sat and spun the tracks. Can anyone recommend a use for this? I got it for the price of the engine, so as soon as I find a machine that needs an 11hp Honda clone, I’ll have no use for the drive assy. It even has working heated handle bars!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Today I picked up a unit that used to be a track drive snowblower. Someone had pulled off the blower assy., and mounted a blade (fixed angle, scoop sides) on it. The owner before me said that it only moved a little bit of snow then sat and spun the tracks. Can anyone recommend a use for this? I got it for the price of the engine, so as soon as I find a machine that needs an 11hp Honda clone, I’ll have no use for the drive assy. It even has working heated handle bars!
It is a snowblower, I would not use it for anything else. Most likely you have a friction drive system. It is not strong and smooth enough. You put it into gears, it jumps forward, instead of start rolling out slowly. It has no frame, just sheet metal. It is not heavy enough to have good traction.

I saw people using it to plow snow, pulling their trailers, turning it into a go kart, and even a garden cart. It is not going to work very well and reliably for them. Need heavy modifications for that. It is only worth as an engine.

Plowing snow requires more power and traction. Put some weight on it, but then your belt will wear out in no time.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Since, it already has a blade, I would try to improve it as a snow plow (will need chain drive, or something). It would be fun. Or, just get rid of it.

·
Registered
280 Posts
You maybe able to find a used ATV hydro-static transmission on Ebay for under $100. Will need fabrication. I would just get rid of it. No times for that.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Modify the friction drive system so that it uses 2 drive belts and maybe two friction wheels.

The simplest and cheapest, is to just use chain drive and clutch. One forward speed only and you engage it using a clutch. Throttle up will give you more speed. Use Go Kart parts. It is similar to a go kart. Heck, it is easier to turn a go kart into a snow plow.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Ive seen the track assemblies mounted on the rear of a lawn tractor in the past. No idea if it is an improvement or even functional.

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
11hp Honda's are hydro static trannies. the clones are friction disk? did not know that. any pictures of this contraption?

oh , i see. another one and done poster?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts