Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I bought a used Troy-Bilt 42000 5 HP 21".

For 75 dollars and perfect running as stated in Craig-list. I thought it wasn't too bad, just before I went to pick it up, the man called me and said it wouldn't move but still starts, so he lower the price to 50 bucks. What the ****, can't be that hard to fix so I picked it up for 50 bucks.

Low and behold, it needed both cables $110, both bearing flanges $45, mangled Control levers, part is obsolete not available to buy, 2 hours labor to straighten them out.

With the time spent I could have gone to work make the money and buy me a new one.
Nevertheless, will I do it again? I don't know...:)

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Low and behold, it needed both cables $110, both bearing flanges $45, mangled Control levers, part is obsolete not available to buy, 2 hours labor to straighten them out.

BTDT with a TORO 38185 I bought on the side of the road for $100. Looked like it was in great condition, but $200 later, and it still wasn't running right. I elected to cut my losses :mad:

Welcome aboard, Blown !!

·
Retired Moderator
9,913 Posts
My $50 buck Estate was like that. Owner was concerned that he added fresh gas to it for me and warned me it kept breaking the blower belt.

He didn't warm me the axle had broken and "someone" drilled the stub and wheel to pin it on to just enough axle to make it work but wobble. Didn't tell me the other wheel was seized on the shaft. Didn't tell me the reason the belt kept breaking was the impeller housing to mounting tab welds were cracked badly.

He seemed so much like Mister Rogers being concerned about putting in fresh gas and handed me a folder with the original manual in it. Thought I got a deal but luckily I can weld and I've sourced a lot of the parts cheap and made my own axle or this wouldn't be going back together. I'm learning you really need to check out anything including the really cheap ones as you might be getting much less than what you expected.

If I keep buying and fixing up I'm going to get to the point where I'll know when to just say no thanks as it's not what I expected and keep my money in my pocket for the next one if, IF it checks out. Better to cut your losses and eat the gas $$ spent going to see one rather than buying it and finding out you need to totally rebuild it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PHP:
He seemed so much like Mister Rogers being concerned about putting in fresh gas and handed me a folder with the original manual in it.
Gotta love people..:rolleyes:

PHP:
BTDT with a TORO 38185 I bought on the side of the road for $100. Looked like it was in great condition, but $200 later, and it still wasn't running right. I elected to cut my losses 

Welcome aboard, Blown !!
Send it to me and I will spend some more money and time for you. :) I really hear ya, sometime you just have to know when to stop.

And thank you for the welcome..:D

·
Registered
792 Posts
Hi Blownaway,
Welcome to the forum. Most of us have had a similar experience with one or more of the "bargains" we buy. It's inevitable. It usually ends up being a learning experience with the parts amounting to "tuition and books." If you end up with a good running piece of equipment, there is the personal satisfaction of knowing that you fixed it. The challenge of renewing old equipment is part of the attraction to a lot of us. MH

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Blownaway,
Welcome to the forum. Most of us have had a similar experience with one or more of the "bargains" we buy. It's inevitable. It usually ends up being a learning experience with the parts amounting to "tuition and books." If you end up with a good running piece of equipment, there is the personal satisfaction of knowing that you fixed it. The challenge of renewing old equipment is part of the attraction to a lot of us. MH
Thank you Motorhead64,

You're correct on the personal satisfaction.:D

·
Super Moderator
3,860 Posts
Your problem wasnt buying used..it was buying a used Troy-Bilt! ;)
Troy-Bilt is one of the lowest quality, least reliable brand names out there..

Sure, used can be bad..but you can increase your odds of buying a good used machine by sticking to the reliable brands..
Ariens, Toro, Honda..and the newer Briggs names.
IMO, do *not* buy a used MTD..ever..this includes Troy Bilt.

Names I would *never* buy, new or used, include:
Troy Bilt
Cub Cadet
MTD
Craftsman
Yard Machines
Yardman

and any of the Chinese names:
Echelon
Huskee
Mansfield
Powerland
powRcraft
Snow Beast
Snow Joe
Stanley
World Lawn

Some of those names, such as Cub Cadet, can be good used machines, but only for much older models..a 40 year old Cub Cadet is a much better machine than a 5 year old one..but you need to know who made the machine, and when. For many of those names, newer is worse than older..(For the 100% Chinese ones, they are just flat-out junk even when brand new..)

Scot

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
HTML:
Your problem wasnt buying used..it was buying a used Troy-Bilt! 
Thanks for the list. I couldn't agree more!

I like old stuffs but now I'm diesel guy and Kubota is my favorite brand.:D

·
Registered
37 Posts
I bought two used machines this past winter both of them were simplicitys that ran and had no issues. I spent $550 for both machines which I believe I could get 600 for just the one. Its about buying quality old iron as scotsman said

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
I have bought a few used machines.

I bought a used MTD whose augers wouldn't turn, for cheap. Found a sheared woodruff key in the auger gearbox, cost $1 to fix. Plus some worn parts. I used it for about 8 years, just replacing wear items. I think it had been garaged, so that helped its condition.

I then bought a used Ariens ST824 inexpensively a few years ago. It turned out to be quite heavily used, and took a fair bit of work/parts to get it back on its feet, and worn-out items replaced. But it was a nice, solid machine for a few seasons.

Last year I bought a different used Ariens inexpensively, a better machine. It was smoking while running. After quite a bit of time & work on the engine, I finally figured out the (simple :eek: ) problem, which was with the crankcase breather. That fixed the smoking. It had been stored outside, so some fasteners twisted off (including in the cylinder head), causing trouble. I then found some worn bearings & bushings, which took too much effort to replace, mainly due to things being rusted and stuck. However, the parts cost for this one wasn't bad (though it took a lot of time). And I've now gone through the whole machine, I think it's in good shape now.

Used *can* save quite a bit of money, and older machines can be higher quality than new. But it might require a fair bit of time, depending on what you find. Maybe also money.

Look it over closely before buying.

Feel shafts for play due to worn bearings/bushings. Is it all rusted? That can make working on it harder. Check that the augers can move/rotate on the auger shaft. I rotate auger A to bind it up, then wiggle B. You should feel it move slightly. Then hold it, and wiggle A. If the augers are frozen to the shaft, you might consider not buying. They can apparently be incredibly hard to remove, if rusted to the shaft. And if they're stuck, you can blow a gearbox, vs just breaking a shear pin.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi Blownaway,
motorhead64, you hit it right on the head! "Tuition and books", I like that one, I hope you don't mind if I steal it.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
5,205 Posts

For 75 dollars and perfect running as stated in Craig-list. I thought it wasn't too bad, just before I went to pick it up, the man called me and said it wouldn't move but still starts, so he lower the price to 50 bucks. What the ****, can't be that hard to fix so I picked it up for 50 bucks.

With the time spent I could have gone to work make the money and buy me a new one.
Just for the record, stay away from anything carrying the Troy Bilt name except for old rototillers everything else is pretty much MTD throwaway equipment. My opinion alone. Feel free to have your own.

·
Retired Moderator
9,913 Posts
Just for the record, stay away from anything carrying the Troy Bilt name except for old rototillers everything else is pretty much MTD throwaway equipment. My opinion alone. Feel free to have your own.
I do bash my hand me down Troy but it did get me through the winter repeatedly clearing almost 400' of gravel driveway each and every snow. It's not the TroyBilt I think of as it is a light weight machine like so much of the newer stuff is. It's not terrible it's just not overbuilt. With care and proper maintenance it gets the job done just fine. My older Craftsman Drift Breakers are tanks and you know it when you try to muscle them around. Same with the Ariens 32".

·
Premium Member
5,205 Posts
Your problem wasnt buying used..it was buying a used Troy-Bilt! ;)

Sure, used can be bad..but you can increase your odds of buying a good used machine by sticking to the reliable brands..
Ariens, Toro, Honda..and the newer Briggs names.
IMO, do *not* buy a used MTD..ever..this includes Troy Bilt.

Names I would *never* buy, new or used, include:
Troy Bilt
Cub Cadet
MTD
Craftsman
Yard Machines
Yardman
and any of the Chinese names:
Echelon
Huskee
Mansfield
Powerland
powRcraft
Snow Beast
Snow Joe
Stanley
World Lawn

Some of those names, such as Cub Cadet, can be good used machines, but only for much older models..a 40 year old Cub Cadet is a much better machine than a 5 year old one..but
you need to know who made the machine, and when. For many of those names, newer is worse than older..(For the 100% Chinese ones, they are just flat-out junk even when brand new..)

Scot
You nailed it, Scot. ya get what ya pay for. ( my sig)

·
Registered
8 Posts

why can't i find any of these perfect condition snow blowers on craig's list for a song? I've heard of these magical deals but never came across them. Do i need to get up earlier in the morning? Say 4am?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
why can't i find any of these perfect condition snow blowers on craig's list for a song? I've heard of these magical deals but never came across them. Do i need to get up earlier in the morning? Say 4am?
As the old saying goes early bird gets the worm. :D And 4 AM is too late.:)

Well, do you want mine?

·
Retired Moderator
9,913 Posts
I don't know about the perfect condition ones but I know if you keep your web page refreshed you'll run across some well built fixer-uppers for cheap. My Ariens was no beauty queen when I went to look at her, wouldn't start, transmission stuck in gear but $25 for a 32" Ariens, couldn't load it fast enough. Just had to drag it up the driveway to get it to my truck :(

NEVER, EVER want to try and drag a blower that big and heavy up a ramp into a pickup stuck in gear again.

Besides used is what we're all about. If it's new you likely don't have any problems and if you do you can take it to a dealer.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
I don't know about the perfect condition ones but I know if you keep your web page refreshed you'll run across some well built fixer-uppers for cheap. My Ariens was no beauty queen when I went to look at her, wouldn't start, transmission stuck in gear but $25 for a 32" Ariens, couldn't load it fast enough. Just had to drag it up the driveway to get it to my truck :(

NEVER, EVER want to try and drag a blower that big and heavy up a ramp into a pickup stuck in gear again.

Besides used is what we're all about. If it's new you likely don't have any problems and if you do you can take it to a dealer.
Is that a drift cutter or a flag pole on the right side? :eek:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts