Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I'm new here and new to snowblowing machines. I am looking for a used blower and came across a ST826 Lawnboy (model 55383). I don't really know what to look for but it seems in decent shape. All gears and levers move smooth and clean, it appears it's been maintained (spark plug is new and oil seems clean), and there's minimal rust. The owner wasn't home so I couldn't start it.

He is asking $525 for it which seems kinda high but I was told LawnBoy is a good make. I've attached some pics. Any thoughts regarding condition or what it's really worth would be appreciated.

Thanks for the help

Attachments

·
Banned
2,029 Posts
for a snowblowers with a 1980s tecumseh thats asking way to much, get him down to 300. these engines can have a lot of issues and are kind of a pain to get right so if it doesnt run right, knock down the price

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply, just curious though...what's a 1980s tecumseh? I googled tecumseh but it just brings up native references. Typo?

·
Registered
28 Posts
thanks for the reply, just curious though...what's a 1980s tecumseh? I googled tecumseh but it just brings up native references. Typo?
Tecumseh is the engine that is on the snow blower you are looking at, I believe that engine is a Flathead Design which is prone to deposits.

·
Banned
2,029 Posts
this particular tecumseh also has points if its from the early 80s, a trouble prone carburetor known to cause surging, and a weak connecting rod prone to breaking at slight over revs (like 1000 rpm over revs). these are also known for leaking valves too because the valves stems tend to expand with use, so listen for a hiss or leaking air when you pull the cord slowly

·
Registered
407 Posts
I had the same blower and sold it shortly after getting it. I don't know who made that era of LB.. but my guess is maybe mtd. just a standard so-so homeowner with pretty green color. You are right LB had a good reputation but that was years back- not so great anymore. At least in what I hear and what I see now. The LB reputation was rock solid on the older 70's mowers or earlier but that was days gone by. For 500 ( or less) you can get a extremely nice used Ariens or Toro and they still have great blowers and strong following. just my 2 cents.

·
Banned
2,029 Posts
get a toro 824 (38080) or 826 and install an impeller kit, nothing more durable then that, older ariens are also excellent machine and the frame on both machines will outlast the engine like it did on my toro 824, try to get an ariens with a cast iron gearbox if you decide on ariens

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
FWIW, it does appear to have a cast auger transmission. The only ding I could make against it, besides the age related rust, is the slightly bent up auger on the right side as you are facing it on the ground.

·
Banned
2,029 Posts
by the way thats not a 13hp, on snowblowers and lawnmower, the model numbers such as 826 stand for 8hp engine, 26 inch auger or on mowers blades. i would do a parts lookup to see what parts are available. on my toro i know that important parts like the brass auger gear are still available and most tranny components, do a parts lookup and see what is discontinued

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
by the way thats not a 13hp, on snowblowers and lawnmower, the model numbers such as 826 stand for 8hp engine, 26 inch auger or on mowers blades. i would do a parts lookup to see what parts are available. on my toro i know that important parts like the brass auger gear are still available and most tranny components, do a parts lookup and see what is discontinued
That is a very good point. It makes no difference what the price is, unless you can either get it running, or scrap it.

·
Registered
183 Posts
That was a Gilson made Lawn Boy machine, last generation gear drive Gilson. Notice the chute type, indentations on the side of the bucket, and handle assembly/type. There is one extra control handle on the handle assembly which is not shown below in Spectrum's photograph of the model. Perhaps this was because this is/was a 1988 model and Spectrum's was a 1987 model.

Link: The Gilsonian Institute - The Gilson SNOW BLOWER Shop Gallery

·
Super Moderator
6,669 Posts
hello toroused, welcome to SBF

·
Super Moderator
9,888 Posts
Welcome to the forum Toroused :D Please add a location to your profile so we have an idea where you're at, thanks.

Chschie, IMHO . . . I'd pass on that as it seems very expensive and more so looking at it's condition of rust and auger damage.

I'd keep looking at ads and get a feel for what they are going for and reading up on different brands here. That way you'll have a better idea of what will be a good buy.

Maybe you're in the region that's been dumped on and blowers are expensive this winter but you're not likely to have much more snow and you can do way better on price in the coming months.
A lot of people who bought anything they could will be selling those to get what they want now that the pressure is off.

Also check on youtube for videos from "Donnyboy" on what to look for when buying a machine and he also has some excellent videos that walk you through repairs. ;)

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
Wow, you guys really don't like Tecumseh engines, do you?

Tecumseh sold many thousands of engines over the years and no doubt some were lemons, but many were not.

Just to give a little counterpoint: I got a used Hahn-Eclipse snowblower with a 6 HP Tec engine in 1976 when I was a teenager. It spent winters on that snowblower, and later on an Ariens, getting used to remove considerable New England snow every year, including the blizzard of 1978. For the first 4 or 5 years it also spent summers on various minibikes and go-karts with the governor bypassed getting the snot beat out of it. I finally retired it in 1994 when I got a great deal on an 11 HP Honda motor. It still ran well, I just wanted more power (insert Tim Taylor grunt here).

I now own two different Ariens 'blowers, one with an 8 HP Tec and the other with an 11 HP Tec. Both L-heads, exact age unknown but the 8 was bought in the late 1980s and the 11 probably a couple of years later.

The work I've done to all those motors over all those years is as follows: a few spark plug replacements, one or two fuel line replacements, and I put a $25 ebay carburetor on the 8. I did pull the head off the 6 once when it wasn't starting well and removed some carbon deposits. The 11 doesn't idle happily right now and could probably use a carb too. But that's it... otherwise those engines have been dead-nuts reliable.

As I said at the beginning, there are no doubt some bad Tecumseh engines out there, but they're not all ticking time bombs!

So what I'd say to the OP is definitely check parts availability, and the price on that 'blower sounds high (I'd be looking to pay more like $200), but personally I wouldn't worry about the engine if it starts well and doesn't make any funny noises.

·
Super Moderator
9,888 Posts
"Tecumseh sold many thousands of engines over the years and no doubt some were lemons, but many were not."

I think it's more like hundreds of thousands and usually if one does throw a connecting rod it's from lack or oil or someone messing with the governor for a little more speed. In either case, operator error.The only reason it's kind of a common failure point is that there are so many of them out there and they have 20-30-40 years on them.
My 69 Ariens with a 32" bucket has worked hard all it's life and it's still going strong as is my 32" Craftsman. I'd love to have higher horse engines on them but the Tecumseh engines just keep pluggin' away, ignition points and all.

IMHO the only thing wrong with a Tecumseh is that it's cost prohibitive to rebuild one compared to replacing it with a cheap ($99) Honda clone.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Wow, you guys really don't like Tecumseh engines, do you?

Tecumseh sold many thousands of engines over the years and no doubt some were lemons, but many were not.

Just to give a little counterpoint: I got a used Hahn-Eclipse snowblower with a 6 HP Tec engine in 1976 when I was a teenager. It spent winters on that snowblower, and later on an Ariens, getting used to remove considerable New England snow every year, including the blizzard of 1978. For the first 4 or 5 years it also spent summers on various minibikes and go-karts with the governor bypassed getting the snot beat out of it. I finally retired it in 1994 when I got a great deal on an 11 HP Honda motor. It still ran well, I just wanted more power (insert Tim Taylor grunt here).

I now own two different Ariens 'blowers, one with an 8 HP Tec and the other with an 11 HP Tec. Both L-heads, exact age unknown but the 8 was bought in the late 1980s and the 11 probably a couple of years later.

The work I've done to all those motors over all those years is as follows: a few spark plug replacements, one or two fuel line replacements, and I put a $25 ebay carburetor on the 8. I did pull the head off the 6 once when it wasn't starting well and removed some carbon deposits. The 11 doesn't idle happily right now and could probably use a carb too. But that's it... otherwise those engines have been dead-nuts reliable.

As I said at the beginning, there are no doubt some bad Tecumseh engines out there, but they're not all ticking time bombs!

So what I'd say to the OP is definitely check parts availability, and the price on that 'blower sounds high (I'd be looking to pay more like $200), but personally I wouldn't worry about the engine if it starts well and doesn't make any funny noises.
Their extended viability, really has to do with the preventative maintenance. With a used machine, there is no guaranty to the regularity of said maintenance, and as a result the reliability comes into question. I know that this can occur with any make, but this particular one seems to be more sensitive historically.

·
Registered
1 Posts
for a snowblowers with a 1980s tecumseh thats asking way to much, get him down to 300. these engines can have a lot of issues and are kind of a pain to get right so if it doesnt run right, knock down the price
Hi, can anyone tell me the website to download a manual for a lawnboy st826 snowbloer?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts