Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today we had maybe 1 1/2". Definitely not deep enough to use a 2 stage blower, would have left too much snow. So I used one of my paddle blowers, a 2 cycle, only 3 1/2hp. I have others up to 5hp including one that has a plug in electric start. I had forgotten how well the rubber paddles get down to the pavement, how light the machine is to maneuver, how fast it is, and how well it pulls into the snow. I am definitely going to use it again. The last time I had used a paddle blower may have been 15 years ago. Now having acquired several this past year, and not using one for such a long time, I had planned selling them all. Now I have to decide which one to keep.

·
Super Moderator
6,669 Posts
we had one to three inches of snow on the ground so I made quick work of it with the 2450E. hard to say which one of your e stage machines to keep but do keep one of them

Attachments

·
Registered
891 Posts
My neighbor gave me her Murray 4.5 hp 21" single-stager and I finally got to use it a couple of times this season (we haven't had any snow worthy of a 2-stager).

I am pleasantly surprised how well it works! I also had a chance to use another neighbor's Honda HS520A and that one is even better!

I've always been a 2-stage guy but I might have to keep a single stage unit around.

·
Super Moderator
6,669 Posts
I use my Toro CCR1000 for everything under 8" whether on the deck or the driveway.
I use to use the 2450e for everything, even after getting a two stage snowblower but after using the two stage a couple of times I found them to me more relaxing to use for the properties I blow snow for. if I'm using the 2450e then I only do my house and three neighbors, if I use the 521 we generally have 4+ inches of snow and then I'll end up blowing snow for something like nine neighbors plus another six of mom's neighbors and mom's place too

·
Registered
579 Posts
I use my Toro CCR1000 for everything under 8" whether on the deck or the driveway.
I too, use a Toro CCR2000 with a Suzuki engine in it - about 24 years old and still going strong. Basically use for snowfalls under a foot. Keep that chute slick!

·
Registered
772 Posts
Today we had maybe 1 1/2". Definitely not deep enough to use a 2 stage blower, would have left too much snow. So I used one of my paddle blowers, a 2 cycle, only 3 1/2hp. I have others up to 5hp including one that has a plug in electric start. I had forgotten how well the rubber paddles get down to the pavement, how light the machine is to maneuver, how fast it is, and how well it pulls into the snow. I am definitely going to use it again. The last time I had used a paddle blower may have been 15 years ago. Now having acquired several this past year, and not using one for such a long time, I had planned selling them all. Now I have to decide which one to keep.
I sold my 2 stage because of my experiences with single stages I was flipping.

I was surprised at the performance of the ccr2000, ccr3650 hs521 hs621 Hondas I had.

I used them for 8-10 inches before and it got through it without much trouble. If I was getting 12+ regularly I would have a 2 stage but we only get 10+ a couple times a year here.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
There is definitely a place for the smaller machines. I too, like mine for smaller snowfalls, also for really wet snow. The little machine is so easy to move around, and gets right down to driveway surface as you mentioned. I seem to have carb issues often with mine, it is currently down again waiting for a rebuild kit. But aside from that trait, I do like using that one. Not as much as I like the 2-stange, but still WAY better than a shovel, LOL!!

·
Registered
772 Posts
With this storm coming you should do a max performance test on the single stages just for fun. not saying do your whole drive but just test them out and see how they do in 12+ inches

i have yet to reach the point of not being able to use the single stage the most ive had was about 12" with an older CCR2000 with new paddles on it.

it took care of everything including the EOD it was a lighter dry snow but still 12" isnt a joke.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
With this storm coming you should do a max performance test on the single stages just for fun. not saying do your whole drive but just test them out and see how they do in 12+ inches
Last night I loant it to a neighbor for today's snow, he called me back last night before the snow saying the auger wouldn't turn. I used it last week. ???

·
Registered
772 Posts
Last night I loant it to a neighbor for today's snow, he called me back last night before the snow saying the auger wouldn't turn. I used it last week. ???
hmm could be something with the belt ? or i had one come in that needed a scraper he wore a hole in the bottom where the belt cover meets the blower.

it then was sucking up snow around the auger pulley on the inside ......then it froze solid i had to bring it indoors then thaw it out and get the ice chunk out.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts

i have yet to reach the point of not being able to use the single stage the most ive had was about 12" with an older CCR2000 with new paddles on it.

it took care of everything including the EOD it was a lighter dry snow but still 12" isnt a joke.
I've had an Ariens 3hp SS322, and a cheap 5hp MTD, where the PO may have swapped the paddles from another machine.

I really liked the Ariens, but it was underpowered (there was also a 5hp version). The MTD was not an impressive machine, but maybe it was a Franken-blower. In both cases, I really liked them in small storms, like 3". Fast, easy to move, cleared down to pavement. But when it got to maybe 6-8" of slightly heavier snow, both of them just floundered, and the MTD would hardly make real progress. The 2-stage just sailed through it, of course.

I was disappointed, I really liked having one available, but couldn't justify the storage space (which is at a premium), for the performance I got from these. Maybe the 5hp-version Ariens, or a nice Toro, would do better. But I haven't tried another one. If I had the space, they were a nice tool for certain storms. But for now, I dropped back to a 2-stage that can do it all (even if it's clumsy for little storms), and an electric single-stage for the deck.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I've had an Ariens 3hp SS322, and a cheap 5hp MTD, where the PO may have swapped the paddles from another machine.

I really liked the Ariens, but it was underpowered (there was also a 5hp version). The MTD was not an impressive machine, but maybe it was a Franken-blower. In both cases, I really liked them in small storms, like 3". Fast, easy to move, cleared down to pavement. But when it got to maybe 6-8" of slightly heavier snow, both of them just floundered, and the MTD would hardly make real progress. The 2-stage just sailed through it, of course.

I was disappointed, I really liked having one available, but couldn't justify the storage space (which is at a premium), for the performance I got from these. Maybe the 5hp-version Ariens, or a nice Toro, would do better. But I haven't tried another one. If I had the space, they were a nice tool for certain storms. But for now, I dropped back to a 2-stage that can do it all (even if it's clumsy for little storms), and an electric single-stage for the deck.
I don't really mess with any single stage that isn't a toro or honda. For whatever reason they move the snow better.

If you can find an older toro ccr2000 for cheap I would. Those always surprise me with how good they work and that old Suzuki 2 stroke has quite a bit of torque.

I can find them for $30-$50 in the off season around me I usually pick up 2-3 each year.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Does your single stage have a safety interlock where you have to
pull on a second handle to get the rotor to spin??
My Toro CCR3000 is exactly like that.

I hope the belt is not burned in half.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I haven't looked at the single stage snowblower yet that stopped working the evening before the storm hit. I was too busy myself using my real snowblowers to look at it. Probably the belt. It's an old machine, a Snapper, with a manual chute control, Tecumseh, 3 1/2hp I think. Starts on the first pull or at least gives you the impression it's going to start. That's why I like it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts