Snowblower Forum banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
4,990 Posts
" seal your equipment " ... ??

Do you mean what type of wax?

I usually grab whatever I have still remaining left over from waxing my vehicles ... I believe its Turtle Wax and Nu-Finish.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Ok, so, I missed spelled a word. I, will try this again. I, am retired, like to tinker. Do not want to get into a lot of work, just from time to time. What method to you guys use to sell what you repaired.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Might be picking up 2 more machines on Tues. An Airens 624 that like new for $100 and a Craftsman 24" that's mint for the same, $100. Should be able to make a buck or two on them easily.

·
Registered
4,990 Posts
Mine usually come to me for free.... I have feelers out through a lot of people, and also my local transfer station, as well as Marketplace, which has some free once in awhile, as well as many dirt cheap like 20--50 dollars. I am never in a rush, and actually right now my personal fleet is taking up my entire shop, along with all my summer equipment. No room at the inn as they say.

After using some that I refurbished this coming season, I will sell some off .... but it will be hard letting go ... :)

Good freebies and machines that cost hardly nothing are out there, just be patient.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
So I was 1 and 1 today, the guy with the Craftsman wanted more money than he was asking (asked before I left) so I passed on that blower. I did get the Ariens 624 and other than needing the basic stuff, oil change, fresh gas and the carb cleaned a little the only item that needed was the chute adjuster was really screwed up but I got that fixed. It's got a goofy Tecumseh 6hp engine like my other Cub Cadet and this one seems to need the governor adjusted but for $100 it's a really nice blower with hardly any use on it. Should fetch a pretty good buck.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Anyone else having luck selling this year?
Depends on where you live. Around here snowblowers, new or used, don't sell easily as we often don't get enough snow to warrant their purchase. The machine I have the dealer had to bring in from out of province and I only have one because I'm getting old with a bad back and don't want to shovel the drift that can sometimes build up in front of the garage doors. A leaf blower is usually good enough.

A guy down the street tried selling refurbished snowblowers but he often ended up storing them from one year to the next. Its only because of the big storm we had last year was he finally able to sell them all. Mowers and tillers however much easier.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I, live in N.W. Ohio. About 60 mi. south of Cleveland. That put me South of most lake (Erie) effect snow. Our worst snow comes from the West or S. West. That really suprises me you do not get much up in Alberta.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I, live in N.W. Ohio. About 60 mi. south of Cleveland. That put me South of most lake (Erie) effect snow. Our worst snow comes from the West or S. West. That really suprises me you do not get much up in Alberta.
Except for the Rockys to the west the southern 1/4 of Alberta is pretty much all semi-arid grassland with not much rain or snowfall. If it wasn't for the irrigation canals it would be mostly ranch land. Cacti and rattlesnakes are found in areas that have never been tilled. A couple months ago a rattler tried to make a winter den under my front step. You don't see them much but they are around.

An exception are the Cypress Hills in the SE. There the elevation is quite a bit higher and gets much more precipitation than the surrounding prairie. Enough to support lodgepole pine, aspen forests,and a ski hill. Its central and northern Alberta that gets quite a bit more snow and rain.

Reactions: Darby

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I listed the Ariens today and had a guy come out and look at the machine and he was impressed, but did not like my asking price of $400 bucks. He pulled out $200 and I said no and he left without a blower. I did show him 2 others that were cheaper but he wanted an Ariens. At least he has good taste.

·
Premium GOT Member
8,269 Posts
I listed the Ariens today and had a guy come out and look at the machine and he was impressed, but did not like my asking price of $400 bucks. He pulled out $200 and I said no and he left without a blower. I did show him 2 others that were cheaper but he wanted an Ariens. At least he has good taste.
That would have really irked me. offering half your asking price. glad you said no. the most i have ever discounted is 50 . I do a lot of work on these machines .
When people see the shop and the pictures usually my snowblowers sell themselves.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
eh, don't let it bug ya. Many folks now a days are taught to go ahead and try a lower offer with cash in hand, more times than not, the seller will take a lower offer. He wanted to test the waters to see if you would play ball. He knows he'll eventually find someone who will.

·
Registered
302 Posts
My feeling is it stems from people watching those 'picker' tv shows and figure they can wheel & deal over anything with half price offers, then turn around and flip it. (Not all buyers but definetly some)

Reactions: Plan - B
21 - 40 of 58 Posts