Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of lightest smallest most inconspicuous and useful "tool" in my toolbox is a spoke from a bicycle wheel.

There's been many a time there's a snowblower spring that I have a hard time reaching for between pulleys and my needle nose pliers are not long enough.

Or there's the times there is so much tension pulling the spring the needle noise keeps slipping because the pliers are straight and it's a straight pull and you have to both pull and grip the handles at the sane time besides maneuvering. One way around the latter there are needle nose pliers where they curve at the end but I don't own those. Maybe Harbor Freight would be a good enough tool and cheap enough for the occasional use it would get.

Or there's the times you are pulling with the pliers but can't quite hook it.

These are all situations that using a bicycle spoke solves these problems. You can reach back under the pulley, pull the spring with the spoke and either hook i using the spoke or pull it and use the needle nose pliers to hook it.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Shorter than a bike spoke but also useful is a headlight spring hook. The T handle lets you get a solid pull on most springs you would find on a snowblower.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shorter than a bike spoke but also useful is a headlight spring hook. The T handle lets you get a solid pull on most springs you would find on a snowblower.
Good idea. I'll have to see if I can get one. Do all headlights or most have a "T" handle?

I do bicycle repairs so I always have spokes around.

·
Registered
765 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
One of lightest smallest most inconspicuous and useful "tool" in my toolbox is a spoke from a bicycle wheel.

There's been many a time there's a snowblower spring that I have a hard time reaching for between pulleys and my needle nose pliers are not long enough.

Or there's the times there is so much tension pulling the spring the needle noise keeps slipping because the pliers are straight and it's a straight pull and you have to both pull and grip the handles at the sane time besides maneuvering. One way around the latter there are needle nose pliers where they curve at the end but I don't own those. Maybe Harbor Freight would be a good enough tool and cheap enough for the occasional use it would get.

Or there's the times you are pulling with the pliers but can't quite hook it.

These are all situations that using a bicycle spoke solves these problems. You can reach back under the pulley, pull the spring with the spoke and either hook i using the spoke or pull it and use the needle nose pliers to hook it.
Somehow, your bicycle spoke story reminded me of this... :smile2:

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is a good tip!

I have a set of Tekton 90 and 45 deg angled pliers. They are a very formidable midgrade brand with excellent customer service and warrante. They are also nice to remove the spring hose clamps for some orientations.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TEKTON-34233-Needle-Nose-Pliers-7-Inch-90-Degree-Bent-Long-Nose-Pliers/282763233191?epid=2255367238&hash=item41d60087a7:g:VhcAAOSwa0VaKN5n
Thanks. Certainly for $12 every mechanic should have those in their toolbox. There are times I had to use them and borrowed from the guy across the street when he's home.

If you had to choose one, would it be the 45 or 90?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've taken a sacrificial standard screwdriver and cut a notch in the side of the blade so I could use it as a spring puller it works awesome I keep it in my tool chest the handle is wrapped in pink hockey tape so is easily found. It works better then the spring puller I bought from princess auto

·
Registered
765 Posts
Thanks. Certainly for $12 every mechanic should have those in their toolbox. There are times I had to use them and borrowed from the guy across the street when he's home.

If you had to choose one, would it be the 45 or 90?
Over all I use the 45 more. But there are some times when either would work fine or times the 90 would work or work easier.

Length can matter too. I also have a set of the X2 needle nose in straight and bent. I have yet to use them on a small engine. But they have been nice to use in a car engine bay.

http://www.crescenttool.com/crescent-psx201c-x2tm-bent-long-nose-dual-material-pliers.html

I am an advocate of having both 90 and 45. But I have a bias to buying tools to make life just a little bit easier. It is one of my vices.

I am fine with mid grade tools like Tekton or Creasant. If you want high end look at Knipex which I do own a few of.

·
Premium Member
4,795 Posts
i have removed the spring that is on the auger handle on a Honda for various things. that handle works better without that spring.

i put two of those springs together and used it as a tool but my brain can't remember why. i put it on a hook on the pegboard since i will know what's it for the next time i need it.

does that make sense?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I took a chance on these a few weeks ago. Was not disappointed.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EAQUX3O/ref=oh_aui_bia_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I do not like the way they priced the shipping, so just think of it as a set of 3 for $20 shipped.
Knipex quality, no. Easily as good as Tekton. Again, I was not disappointed.

Also...speaking of bicycle spokes...I went to a bicycle shop about a year ago and bought a spoke that I then bent into a replacement carb link on my old Craftsman Driftbreaker. It was perfect.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've taken a sacrificial standard screwdriver and cut a notch in the side of the blade so I could use it as a spring puller it works awesome I keep it in my tool chest the handle is wrapped in pink hockey tape so is easily found. It works better then the spring puller I bought from princess auto
I bought a few cheap screwdrivers in a box with other things this morning at a Church rummage sale specifically with your idea of putting a notch in a screwdriver. Thanks.

·
Registered
153 Posts
$13! I have to rethink that. Looks great for heavy duty springs.
It is heavy duty. I use it most often for springs that are used on lawn tractors. I used to use pliers but this is much safer - it doesn't slip like a pliers could. The T handle allows for a lot of pulling power!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Buy both the 45 and the 90 at Harbor freight and pick up a free tool with a coupon while you are there. And have enough left over for Mcd's gut bomb on the way home.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts