Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Some on here are using a flapdisk to remove rust. Essentially they are sandpaper on a fabric wheel deathbed to be used in a hand power grinder as you would a round wire brush, grinding disk, or a cutting wheel. They are better than a wire brush as they remove the rust, and paint, down to the bare metal. They are better than a grinding wheel because they don't mark or gouge the metal. You can get them in different grits as you can with any sandpaper.

I did a sample on a car's rotor. On the left you will see a very pitted rotor, I then quickly moved the grinder with the flap disk to the right increasing the standing time but not by much. It cuts very fast especially on sheet metal.

(I will post a clearer picture tomorrow)

Attachments

·
Registered
725 Posts
I've been impressed with these wheels. I have the ones to fit my right angle grinders. They have been a mainstay with fabricators for along time.

Remember that old paint, especially reds and orange predating the early 1970's are apt to contain lead................

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Flapdisks FTW. The best for sharpening mower blades.
Doesn't the mower blade cut the disk? It also seems to not take off much material. I use the grinding disk to sharpen my blades. I find you always have to take off material because of roundness on the edge, knicks and such.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I have been using them for awhile now.

When HF has a sale on angle grinders I got several so i can have different grit disks on each one. saves time .

now i feel like Rick at Rick's restorations. look at this.....

Can you provide before/after pictures taken from the same angle so we can really see the remarkable difference. Looks great though !

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did not tell my story using flap disks.

I've know about flap disks for quite a while, many many years, but never used one because of hesitancy that they would work. I thought it was a tool scam. Then I joined SBF and so many others have mentioned using it with SUCCESS! ***? Really? It works? I trust these people on SBF none are deceiving people. So a few months ago I bought I bought 4 in a package from Amazon, 36 grit, 50 grit, 80 grit, 120 grit. I've forgotten about having these until last week. I used it on a Black & Decker work stand that had some heavy rust on one section. Though the paint was thin, and the metal thin, just a touch removed all the rust instantly to bare metal. Wow.

I have always wire brushed metal using a hand power grinder with a cup wire brush and have ALWAYS been dissatisfied with the results, never seeing bright shiny metal. On occasion I've had to use a grinding disk but that really carves up the metal but then you can't use the latter on thinner metal. I then cover with oil based Rust-o-leum primer then oil paint. To discover POR-15 on here though I've had no need to use POR yet.

Now with my flap disks, and the positive user feedback of SBFers, I'm waiting until I need to do a snowblower or lawn mower. to see the results. I'm starting to believe I should have bought some flap disks many many years ago and tried them. I'm kicking myself for not. Ouch. That hurt.

Will it extend the life of the flap disks by first power wire brushing using a cup wire brush to remove the rust? or is the amount of normal surface rust inconsequential?

·
Premium Member
4,923 Posts
Can you provide before/after pictures taken from the same angle so we can really see the remarkable difference. Looks great though !
okay , here are a couple. if you folks knew how many hours i worked on this you would think i was crazy. YES, it is the same bucket. Used my amateur skills to pound it out and weld in several places and then used different flap disks and wire wheels.

then bead blasted and powder coated. if you look really close at the full on pic here you can see remnants of imperfection. even after all the hours I spent on this I am not truly happy thinking I could have done a better job.

sorry, but do not have a full on pic without augers installed.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts