Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all -
My elderly neighbor may be selling his HS724 and I am interested in buying if the price is right. However, I think that even used it might be out of my range in which case I'd like to help him list it for sale at a fair price.

The case is stamped with GCAE and then the SN# - what else would be needed to determine age? He has had it maintained by the local honda shop since he purchased it - it's solid.

thanks for any info

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
You can get close by looking at the copyright date on the owners manual... My friend's HS724 manual says 2001-2007, for example, so probably near the end of that range. Calling Honda will get you the date sold.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just talked with the owner - he can't recall the exact age but feels it is between 10 and 12 years. He has had it 'tuned up' each year. I've used it a few times in the past few years and it runs very well.

So - if we assume it is in very good condition and approx 10-12 years old - would there be an approx range for the value?

thank you,

·
Registered
250 Posts
I'm no expert and I have no idea of the condition of the machine.

However, you say it runs well and has full service history. That counts for a lot!!!

As a guide, cars & motorcycles that hold their value most will see returns of about 60% after 3 years. That blower could be 12 years old.

A new base 724 is about $2300. 60% of that after 3 years would be $1480 (although in the real world a 3 year old Honda would go for about $1500 - $1800 I think)

A really nice 10 - 12 year old one? Maybe $800 lower to $1200 higher?? Just a reasoned guess

Make him an offer!!! Maybe he'll take a few installments

Edit / add - thinking a bit more about it, I could see a machine like you describe going for more like $1,000 lower and maybe $1400 higher.

·
Premium Member
4,795 Posts
I'm no expert and I have no idea of the condition of the machine.

However, you say it runs well and has full service history. That counts for a lot!!!

As a guide, cars & motorcycles that hold their value most will see returns of about 60% after 3 years. That blower could be 12 years old.

A new base 724 is about $2300. 60% of that after 3 years would be $1480 (although in the real world a 3 year old Honda would go for about $1500 - $1800 I think)

A really nice 10 - 12 year old one? Maybe $800 lower to $1200 higher?? Just a reasoned guess

Make him an offer!!! Maybe he'll take a few installments

Edit / add - thinking a bit more about it, I could see a machine like you describe going for more like $1,000 lower and maybe $1400 higher.
agree 99%.

he better get it before it snows. time of year for purchase is very important. summer prices are much lower than snowstorm prices.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well - in a turn of events they offered to sell it to me for $400. So, as they say, the check is in the mail (but it really is).
I'm not positive, but it may need a new muffler - how often do they go bad? This one sounds louder than i remember it being last time i had borrowed it.

I won't be able to get the owners manual until the spring.

Of course, i've done their sidewalk a few times with it already this year and helped them several times in the past as well - so that helped both of us.

I still have my toro single stage for the smaller events, but the deep snow and slush won't be an issue now!

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
even if it needs a muffler $400 seems pretty for a honda. definitely may want to get the muffler swapped out if there is holes where water could get into the muffler/engine. you cam most likely get a new muffler pretty cheap. you could probably buy one from harbor freight for the predator engines for under $20 that would likely work. everyone seems to be copying the honda's.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good to know on the muffler - i'll have to look into that. Do you know if they make quieter ones as well or pretty much just the one option?

·
Premium Member
4,795 Posts
Well - in a turn of events they offered to sell it to me for $400. So, as they say, the check is in the mail (but it really is).
I'm not positive, but it may need a new muffler - how often do they go bad? This one sounds louder than i remember it being last time i had borrowed it.

I won't be able to get the owners manual until the spring.

Of course, i've done their sidewalk a few times with it already this year and helped them several times in the past as well - so that helped both of us.

I still have my toro single stage for the smaller events, but the deep snow and slush won't be an issue now!
you just got a great deal buddy. check with the local Honda dealer to see if they have a used muffler in their bins. otherwise check boats.net.
have not run across bad mufflers on a Honda. does it have the exhaust gasket? maybe needs a new gasket .

·
Registered
8 Posts
We just replaced our muffler on approx 20year old HS724. We followed some advice on here and used the parts from the brand new HSS724. It was a lot cheaper and worked like a charm.

Less than 5 minutes to do the complete swap (hint, install the heat shield before mounting the new muffler to save yourself some time).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts