Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on my Yardworks snow king tecumseh engine I'm having issues of my exhaust getting red hot and spitting blue flames. So initially I thought it was the exhaust valve being open at the same time as the intake which is partially true. So at top dead centre both valves are tight shut but on the intake stroke the exhaust valve is not fully closing. So I am wondering if the problem is valve timing or something else. Any help would be great!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
The only valve timing happens when the engines are assembled; crank and cam are synced-up by lining-up the marks on the cam / crank gears.

If it's a points ignition, you do time the spark advance by rotating the magneto...nothing to do with valve timing.

Have you actually measured the clearances?

If not, open the breather and put a feeler gauge between the lifter / valve stem for a flathead (or between the rocker and valve stem on an OHV).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only valve timing happens when the engines are assembled; crank and cam are synced-up by lining-up the marks on the cam / crank gears.

If it's a points ignition, you do time the spark advance by rotating the magneto...nothing to do with valve timing.

Have you actually measured the clearances?

If not, open the breather and put a feeler gauge between the lifter / valve stem for a flathead (or between the rocker and valve stem on an OHV).
I have tried but the screen seems to be putting up a big fight to come out

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
There’s a inner case with the screen. Sometimes it stuck to the block with additional gasket. Just put a screwdriver at corner and slightly pry it out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts