Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many Ariens owners have run their machines with the augers engaged ( Ziptie), and the belt cover off ? I have done this a few times, to check the belt tracking and finger guard clearance. What I have noticed is that the pulley on the bucket has , what I call, significant runout ( if that's the right term), so therefore when you watch it from the top, it would seem to wobble back and forth between engine and bucket, about 1/8 to 3/16ths of an inch or more. Now, I realize that some of this is normal....but I think my machine has more than what I think is normal. Now, it doesn't throw belts, works well, and doesn't vibrate at the handles excessively, but I wonder about the bearing on the gearbox shaft over time. Will it go prematurely? I believe there must be too much runout on the shaft going to the gearbox...at least that's my non-professional mechanical assumption. Anybody care to offer their experiences with their Ariens?:plain:

·
Registered
994 Posts
I adjusted the belts on my machine yesterday and set it up to get engine rpm and impeller rpm. I looked at the engine pulley and impeller pulley while the engine was running based upon your observations in your other thread. At 3,900 rpm and with the auger clutch engaged (tied down) both the pulleys and the belts ran straight as a die, no wobble at all. So there is something to fix on your machine. I also checked the impeller rotation in the housing at 1170 rpm and it was also smooth with no runout (wobble).

You may have a bent impeller pulley, or bent impeller shaft (also may cause impeller wobble and gearbox wobble up/down and or sideways).

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Town.....that's kinda what I was thinking. Just need another to verify my thoughts.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts