Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

When I start up my machine, it seems to be running well. There is a vibration sound when I tilt it back to lift up the scoop or when I engage the drive. I have checked everything on the exterior for loose parts and such and don't see anything. The chute is a bit loose and vibrates some times but the sound does not go away when I hold the chute down. Everything looked fine the last time I had the belly plate off and changed out the drive bolt.

The augur was not engaged when I first heard this, so it seems like it must be something in the drive. Why the sound appears when I tilt it back is a mystery.

Any ideas as to what the issue may be?

LMHmedchem

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Maybe the auger belt is too loose or the two belt stays at the pulley are not adjusted correctly and the belt is slapping around, or the belt could be missing a chunk out of it.

Of course shake the auger and impeller to check for bad bearings, you may have bad bearings.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Use a 4ft length of old garden hose as a stethoscope and poke around.
You might need an assistant to help create the condition while you listen.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe the auger belt is too loose or the two belt stays at the pulley are not adjusted correctly and the belt is slapping around, or the belt could be missing a chunk out of it.

Of course shake the auger and impeller to check for bad bearings, you may have bad bearings.
I have checked the impeller and there is no movement in the shaft at all. I will replace the bearing soon, but it doesn't look like the issue here.

I opened the top to check the belts and everything seems tight there. When I tilt the machine back, I hear the vibration but it doesn't seem to be coming from the box where the belts are. It just sounds like something is loose and vibrating against metal. I can take the belly plate off but I can't run the engine with the machine on it's nose so I don't see how that would help.

LMHmedchem

1 - 4 of 4 Posts