Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
daryl started a 1 year long test of fuel additives in various octane levels and racing fuel on ten engines

·
Registered
278 Posts
The problem is the basis of assumption is failure to start is a fuel desegregation issue.

That is not remotely fact based.

They could fail to start for a lot of reasons and the fact they do start means nothing as well.

Putting an additive in the fuel, keeping said fuel say say 75 degrees and then getting a test report on the gas would be the only way to get any idea and even that has variable of tempearue assumption (AK is quite cool compared to most locales even in the summer).

I have had those tests done on diesel to see how it was doing. Bottom line was I could tell just by the color how it was doing. My test subject were in steel tanks so I did not have jars of diesel sitting on a shelf and the temp control was pretty good in the one building with 6 tanks so I had a pretty decent temp stability.

Pull a fuel sample out of the tanks and see what the condition looks like will tell you more than starting. I have had rigs that were run on 60 Octane fuel (they had a mini refinery up on Prudhoe for the oil field use). Equipment still ran on it fairly ok so is not a given it means anything on how they run. So to baseline you would could start with the rated octane but would need a lab test to see what it was after a year.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
if that guy didn't act so funny i might actually consider watching it but i really just can't tolerate watching his video. he makes me think of 1puglife. at one point the stupid antics were kind of entertaining but now it just stupid and can't even understand half the crap he says.

·
Registered
97 Posts
100 octane aviation fuel last the longest (now 100LL). Don’t get caught out at -40F with a tank of straight 100LL, doesn’t like to start...

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I watched the whole video. It was very good and very interesting. I'm in watching every month.

·
Premium Member
5,010 Posts
if that guy didn't act so funny i might actually consider watching it but i really just can't tolerate watching his video. he makes me think of 1puglife. at one point the stupid antics were kind of entertaining but now it just stupid and can't even understand half the crap he says.
I watch the Project Farm videos on his comparisons . Maybe he did this already. It would be easy to find out. Plus, I have used some of Project Farm recommendations with success so I consider him more scientifically reliable.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
i have watched projects farm video on fuel and the additives he used which is what proved to me it is better to use ethanol free fuel when possible since it is less likely to gum up a carb. i haven't got it in my engine yet but he is the reason i picked up motorkote. i have been meaning to do oil changes on all my machines to add it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I love Taryl-Dactyl! Yes his videos are not normal but he adds comedy to get his points across. He really knows his stuff and personally has taught me a lot on carbs. If you're reading this Daryl, THANK YOU!

·
Registered
950 Posts

Taryl is my favorite Youtube OPE personality.

Looking forward to seeing if these products - especially Seafoam - are as good as people think they are.

Reactions: Waylon

·
Registered
1,288 Posts

Taryl is my favorite Youtube OPE personality.

Looking forward to seeing if these products - especially Seafoam - are as good as people think they are.

Talk about a waste of money

so much easier to keep new fuel in the machine

good owner no issues seafoam not needed
dunderhead seafoam

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Taryl knows his stuff. Any one have a link for what he's really looks like?

Project Farm's comparison's are very good, very detailed and scientific.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
old fuel = bad fuel

dont matter what additives say they do
i never let it sit for months at a time, i use up whatever i have the the gas cans, i only use high octane for small engines, 91, dont know if that helps, in my area ethanol @ 10/%.
i have had any issues accept for debris which i plan on installing fuel filters

·
Premium Member
5,010 Posts
last 2 years have been using E Free gas.....no problems, easy starts , better running engines.

don't need to know anything else.

do I ?

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
old fuel = bad fuel
in my area ethanol @ 10/%.
there is a shell all the way accross town from where you live that should have ethanol free 91 if you want to go ethanol free. i know it is out of the way but it is available.
https://www.shell.ca/en_ca/motorists/my-fuels/shell-v-power-nitro-plus-premium-gasoline.html
Shell V-Power® NiTRO+ Premium Gasoline helps keep your engine running like new* with:
Four levels of engine protection against gunk, wear, corrosion and friction
The highest octane of all Shell fuels at 91 octane
The highest concentration of the Shell Nitrogen Enriched Cleaning System
Seven times the minimum amount of cleaning agents required by federal standard
0% ethanol at every station in Canada

·
Registered
457 Posts
Guy 's a hoot!!! Funny and entertaining!!! Subscribed!!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Interesting what people thing of worth spending their time on and what is interesting.
All I can say is in my career fixing equipment, I never was able to sing and dance it into working. I just had to get the facts of what was wrong and repair it.

I was soured on both the initial supposition (more weird take on reality and not factual) to the presentation, having seen it, I would never watch anything put out by the clown.

·
Registered
464 Posts
100 octane aviation fuel last the longest (now 100LL). Don’t get caught out at -40F with a tank of straight 100LL, doesn’t like to start...
This is true, aviation gas by design has a lower vapor pressure than car gas. You really, really do not want vapor lock at 15,000 feet over the Rockies.....

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hmmm.....I've seen those fake hilbilly teeth at the dollar store at one time....:icon-rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts