Snowblower Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm in watching every month.
I wouldn't expect much to change unless this test goes on for at least a year. I say that because what I do know this: I've used Stabil for years in my snowblower, adding it to the remaining gas in the blower's tank in mid to late March. I then run the engine for about ten minutes to make sure the stabilizer is spread throughout the entire fuel system. The machine is then stored in a wooden shed which is in a shaded area of my yard.

And has subsequently started right up when i take it out of storage 7-8 months later in the late October early November timeframe. I've also had similar experience with using Stabil in my lawnmower.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I'm very impressed with Darryl's video, but not because I found out anything. I'm impressed the guy figured out how to get huge viewership of videos when nothing is happening. The fact is it takes at least 2 months for the gas to begin to be impacted by stabilization issues (evaporation, oxidation, and contamination) and twice that for the changes to become significant. Than it'll take more time for the destabilized gasoline to impact the carburetor or engine to the point of noticeable performance. And that's without stabilizer.

Discoloring due to oxidation will become noticeable fairly quickly, probably 3 months. The rest will take at least 6 months.

In the mean time, he'll have a huge volume of followers watching nothing. A really impressive idea.

I'm thinking about planting a bristlecone pine tree and creating a live feed. They grow 1" per century.

·
Read Only
871 Posts
This is true, aviation gas by design has a lower vapor pressure than car gas. You really, really do not want vapor lock at 15,000 feet over the Rockies.....
no we don't want that not even at 6 or 7 k feet,

something to note Av gas can freeze, takes the temp to be below minus 58 C or minus 72 f but it is known to do so by crystallizing

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I’ve managed to watch Taryl’s videos a time or two by looking past the antics but not enough to considering subscribing. I will however be checking in on this particular testing as he is going to be using “time” as a major factor into the testing.
I like that he is testing high vs low octane. Ethanol vs non-ethanol, and non-ethanol with a verity of treatments OVER TIME.

The Subaru engines he is using appear to be running lean (EPA lean). A good place to start.

I do worry that starting them once a month will skew some real-world results. A simple exchange of the minute amount of “bad” fuel that settles to the bottom of the fuel bowl/main jet once a month would help many consumers avoid problems in my opinion.

I’d like to see him insert some sort of bright white background behind the mason jars. This makes it much easier to see a color difference between the fuels.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Just fired up a machine a week ago that I treated fresh gas with at the time with STABIL-360. It takes care of taming the Ethanol, and is a true stabilizer. Close to 2 years now and it still fires right up and runs well. I am going to pull the carb before winter to have a look to see what condition it is in since I've had the fuel in there all this time. The machine didn't get used this past year (not sure why the church members didn't want to use it) and I've started it a few times when I've remembered. The gas does smell a bit.. old.. but based on how well the engine runs, it seems to still be quite combustable. Stabil products say they can be good for up to 2 years. Good test I suppose. I did pour what was left in the gas can into my car so I'll be adding fresh gas when fall comes around. This time I might try using Sea Foam to see how that holds up vs Stabil. Sea Foam, while it says stabilizes gas, is not a true stablizer, but rather is a detergent and cleaner. I love the stuff and run it in the oil and a little in the spark plug hole before I do an oil change. Best part now though is that Wal Mart sells their in-house brand of Sea Foam, made by Sea Foam for about $3.00 a can.

·
Registered
370 Posts
More important is to just buy 100% gas for small engines and carburetor motorcycles. You can get it at the pump, from a marina if you look around, or from Home Depot in the liter cans. It costs more but how much do you really use in a season? You'll never save enough money to overcome the cost of gasohol related problems. An additional bonus, pure gas makes more power and is more efficient.
I remember back in the pre computer days, Certain speed boats required the use of Chevron gasoline only. The warranty would be voided if ignored...Supposedly, there was a very sound reason for this, apparently some of dash intrumentation required pure gasoline to read correctly and if only Chevron marine gas was put in the tank then the manufacturer would know it would always be pure gas with identifiable additives. The basic design of most small engine carbs were designed in the era of pure gas, and that's what they should run on.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
There are still many places that don't have non-ethanol fuel available, but regardless, fuel is fuel and needs to be stablized immediately.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
There are still many places that don't have non-ethanol fuel available, but regardless, fuel is fuel and needs to be stablized immediately.
the difference between ethanol free fuel and fuel with ethanol is huge. i do not run fuel stabilizer in my e-free fuel and have no issues at all. most fuel stabilizer even has a expiry date. if it has a expiry date how is it suppose to help keep your fuel good? ethanol free fuel also does not break down and cause rubber parts to harden like ethanol gas does. i know e-free is not available everywhere but i would still recommend to people to run it if it is available locally at the pumps. i even run e-free in my elcamino just because it is carburated. i am pretty sure it even helps the engines start better.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
It stabilizes the fuel for up to 2 years. Fuel starts to break down and can go bad in as little as 3 months after being dispensed.

It works. Try it. I have. Used 2 year old stabilized gas this spring. No issues, machine fired right up and the carb bowel was clean as a whistle. As for the ethanol, this stuff takes care of that as well.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
hahaha you really aren't going to sell the stuff by lying. Keeps fuel fresh for up to 12 months . straight from that link you listed. it pretty much expires or stops working 2 years after opening. e-free has no problem sitting 12 months and not clogging your carb. it would actually be interesting to see how long you have to leave e-free fuel before it would start breaking down.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
maybe e-free starts going bad after 6 month but i have personally never had a problem running 9 month old e-free gas in a machine. still way better than gas with ethanol which starts going bad anywhere from 2week to 3 months from purchase. i don't even have much faith in fuel stabilizers since project farm did his video. as usually the e-free gas performed better than the rest and stabilizer seemed to do nothing.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts