Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What do you think sscotsman, aka the Snowbird King.:)
Or anyone else into old vintage blowers.

Advertised as a 1963, runs, good shape. that is all.

Edit.
Took pictures out see next post. saving on my storage space.

From the pictures posted it does look in pretty good shape.
Looks almost like the S-226 you show on your site page.

Could it be the larger model this one that you list,
Snow Bird Model 262-2Produced 1962 - 1963
26 inch, two speed
Engine: B&S 6HP 143302

Can you tell just by looking?
What do you think? How much $$$?
What bad to look for?
Looks to be all complete huh?

I am thinking of calling tomorrow and checking it out.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I made the pictures a little larger, lets see how they come out.
Edit......Better for viewing this size.

Click on me, after you click on it, you can click on the picture again to make it a little larger.
01111_eFSCvaeRnNA_600x450.jpg

01616_2NKdPLXLXjV_600x450.jpg

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It looks to be missing the cover on the side for the gas tank?

·
Super Moderator
3,855 Posts
cool find!
Snowbirds came in four bucket widths, 20", 22", 24" and 26".
the 20" are the smallest and are called "snow chick" models.

The 26", the largest models, are identifiable with a "box" on both sides, one side is the carb heater box,
the other is the gas tank, but they were made so the box looks basically the same on both sides,
so they are symmetrical with a box on each side:

while the 22" and 24" only have a box on one side:

This one (the one Big Ed posted) looks like a 22" model probably..(im not that good at telling them apart yet!) ;)
They arent in high demand..very few people are interested in them. They are worth the same as any other 1960's snowblower..
maybe a little less even, because parts might be hard to find. an Ariens of the same year would probably be worth a bit more.
This one is missing the heater box. If everything works, I wouldnt pay any more than $200 for it..
I paid $25 for my non-running 1961 Snowbird.

They are cool machines! :) I would like to find a nice operating 26" model.
I think the parts situation is their major drawback.

Scot

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like the name Snowbird and the decal.:D
If the decal is all messed up it might break a deal.

It looks in good shape from what I can see for it's age, I e mailed him with some questions and asked if he had the side box that goes over the gas tank.
And for a model number and bucket width.
The gas tank looks newer...maybe it has been replaced at one point?

Did they all have a Briggs and Stratton motor?
Belts should be easy to get? I should be able to get bearings and replacement chains if it ever needs them?
Body parts will be hard I guess?

Anywhere to copy manuals that came with them?

Heck, maybe he has one, this blower is in a town known for the rich and famous. All real large houses and fancy cars.

The ad is 2 months old but it is still listed for sale.

Maybe if I get it I will then look for a vintage Ariens to park along side of it.:D
Heck it is only money, I need more machines listed under my profile!:p

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I guess I won't be looking at this, he never replied.
He was asking $195, I would have offered way below that and go from there.
The ad was 2 months old but still listed.

There are plenty more fish in the sea huh?
I really wanted a larger machine anyway. Something for the larger storms. Bigger motor and a larger bucket.
I will still keep my little Craftsman as it fits my sidewalks better, it slips by the bushes nice.

Maybe I will keep my eyes opened for an older Ariens like suggested.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well his Snowbird ad is gone, how long would it be to type sold? :rolleyes:

Here is one close by,
Listed, Electric start gas snow blower.24 in
00h0h_d8OV3Y2d4is_600x450.jpg

Would this be an older Ariens does anyone think?
Can anyone tell by the picture?
From the 60's?
Missing the nameplate maybe?
Wants a $100 bucks.
Though I would offer less, plus it is not in a very good part of the town.
I would have to bring some kind of backup with me. :cool:

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now this makes sense.
I save my branches that drop in the yard on a pile, I add bush clippings and stuff. Right around this time of year I empty my pickup (it has a cap on it).
I throw a tarp inside and fill it up with the pile of debris and bring it to the dump. I get to the dump and pull the whole thing out on the tarp and dump the debris. It is an easy way to move it out of the pickup.
I always do that right before the snow starts as I need weight in the pickup to move in the snow.
Now I strategically add all of my weight in the proper spots to gain traction.
I then put back what I normally carry in it and am set for the winter.
And I have it filled with no room. Complete with salt and sand and a shovel.:)

AN HOUR AGO THE GUY WITH THE SNOWBIRD TELLS ME I CAN LOOK AT IT AFTER 3 TOMORROW!:mad:
I wish he could have emailed this morning!:(
That is my luck.:rolleyes:

Maybe my bro in law can run me over?
Anyone know what that other machine is above that I posted?
Is that an older Ariens do you think?

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
That is an early Ariens. The round chute, ring gear vs worm gear and bolt on side panels should help you figure out the year looking at Scot's site.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is an early Ariens. The round chute, ring gear vs worm gear and bolt on side panels should help you figure out the year looking at Scot's site.
I thought it looked like an Arien, thanks I will go to the site and see if I can ID it.
Depends on how big the bucket and motor is (and the condition) maybe I will get that one instead, because I was thinking of a larger blower anyway. I guess obtaining parts would be easier then the snow bird. You can't really tell by the picture.....maybe 24", 26" would be better.
Though the bird looks in good shape, and the parts are all there. He said he does have the box cover for the gas tank side.
Parts are hard to come by for the snowbirds, it might be worth some $$$ just to part it out? Though if it operates I would hate to do that, I see someone on e bay asking $50 for the engine cover and $50 bucks a piece for all the other covers. I could probably triple my money parting it out. But to me that would be like killing it, it should stay all together huh?

Thanks, I will search Scot's site.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can't tell from his site?
Maybe he could?

I found out the bucket size duh...it is in the ad, it is 24".:eek:
Got to stop reading so fast!
That has electric start too, I wonder when electric start on the Arien's came around?

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Here is one close by,
View attachment 26569

From the 60's?
Wants a $100 bucks.
BUMP
Any of you Ariens experts tell me the approximate year on this blower?:confused: Pretty please with roses on top.:)

·
Super Moderator
3,855 Posts
1963 or 1964 Ariens "first series"..
Engine appears original, probably a 6hp.
Condition looks pretty good, I would consider $100 an ok price if everything works..
But its not worth much more than that! ;)
Just be aware these 1st series mahines are fairly primitive, even by the standards of 1965..
I wouldn't recommend one as a "daily driver", a late 60's or early 70's Ariens 10,000 series would be a "step up" from an operational standpoint..but the 1st series are still functional and (mostly) capable machines, if you specifically want one..it depends on why you want one I suppose! ;) and what you are looking to get out of it..

Since you already have other "working" snowblowers, I take it you are now looking for something cool and obscure, just for fun, and not necessarily to be a primary working machine? In that case, a $100 first series would be a fine choice! ;)

Scot

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
OK, Thanks I was thinking 1963 or 64 until I saw the electric start.
Those early ones didn't have electric starters did they? I looked through your site an could not find anything about when electric starters started to be installed on the Ariens?

No I guess I will continue looking. If I get another it will be a larger one and I want it functional something that is going to handle the big snow storms that my little Craftsman has to work to get through.

The guy e mailed me back on the snow bird, says he has the gas tank cover.

It looks in nice shape but I don't think I need it as it only has the 4 hp.
If I had a barn to put it in I might just buy it just to have an old bird. It does look in nice shape and with a coat of wax it might shine up too. I might just go and look at it, I am off this week. He wants $195 maybe I will offer a $100. For the body parts alone I could get my money back, probably triple my $100 at least parting it out. Though if it is in nice shape I wouldn't want to part it out.

My garage and shed are kind of full now with the boat, an old 650 Bonneville Triumph bored out to 699 with a 16" Harley rear wheel.......made for speed Zooooom, and a couple outboard motors (3), an old 750 Kawasaki motor, my snapper ride on, air compressor, portable generator, power washer, small table saw and lord knows what else I forgot about. That doesn't say anything about all my tools and tool boxes I have.
My cellar is filled with my trains, my garage and shed is filled, I HAVE TOO MUCH! :eek:
Maybe I could just get me a new shed to put a Snow blower collection in?:)

Thanks, I think I will keep my eyes open for an older but larger but older Ariens like you suggest.

·
Registered
864 Posts

Here is one close by,
View attachment 26569

From the 60's?
Wants a $100 bucks.

"arrgggh....the last of the Ariens interceptors....it would be a shame to destroy it...." (Mad Max impression...)

get the Ariens...it's the best relief to missing out on a Snowbird. I have a '63 model only 3.5HP and paid $75-that one you found is worth every bit of $100.

you have good tastes, I'd grab a Snowbird 26 in a heartbeat if one popped up locally....

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The Snowbird is still for sale.
I am thinking if I do get one it will have to be larger.

I am afraid to go and see the bird as it looks in good shape. And if I think I could just polish it up to make it shine I will buy it.:D

The Ariens is only 24".
Both are still showing as for sale.
I am still wondering when Ariens started putting electric start on them?

Not in the early 60's right?????
That one in the pictures might be from the 70's? early 80's?

Anyone know when Ariens started providing electric start?
I can't find any reference on Scot's site about when the electric start came around?
I am on the lookout for something with a bigger bucket and horse.
But it has to be a deal, Ed is one to steal a deal. I got no shame.:p

·
Registered
581 Posts
My '62 had an original one. I still have it, but it had a separate rectifier switch that you plugged into the starter motor, then into the wall. It took me over a year to get that rectifier from ebay and in the interim, I put a new style electric starter on it. Saving the original for posterity I guess. I think they were avail even earlier Ed. If you go to Scots site, you can see the early ads for the blowers and the options, electric start being one of them.
This is from the '62 ad...the first accessory is elec start:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you, I looked and couldn't find any info pertaining to the electric start.

But I guess that they came as an option?

If that is the case the Arien I posted up top for a $100 bucks looks to have all the options that were available back then, or most of them? As the front auger cover bucket plates I saw them somewhere came as an option I think?
I will have to research that some more.
That might be the original tire chain option too. I imagine who ever purchased it back then wanted the top of the line with all the goodies.
He wanted the best, to be King of the block.:D

Maybe I will bring some back up with me, and venture into never never land and check it out.

What the heck, only a hundred bucks for an old classic.:)

But if I do I will still list my Craftsman first in my signature.:cool:

·
Registered
257 Posts
One thing I'll say about Snowbirds, as I've owned just under a dozen of them and currently have and use an S-241. Please forgive me if any of the points have already been covered....

1. There are a few jobs on a Snowbird that are seriously difficult if you need to do them no matter how well the machine was cared for. Right side tires is one. Getting to the tire involves taking the primary auger drive chain and guards off, but getting the wheel off the axle is nearly impossible. A lot of Snowbirds don't run because of corrosion on the points. You'll be removing all the guards and the chute chain before you even get to the recoil cover. Recoils are also a challenge. The worst, however, is the chute turn cable. I've done one successfully, and I'd never do another. If you go to buy a Snowbird make sure that the chute turn cable works....it'll swivel around when you turn the chute.

2. The machine will require regular adjustments of the primary auger drive chain and the belt pulleys under the rear cover. Usually twice a year I check them and adjust as needed.

3. Nobody wants them because you really have to pay attention to what you're doing to use them, and more often than not they don't work because of the points outlined in #1. It's not made for the 21st century "pull the rope and go" mentality, it was made 50 years ago by a company specializing in farm equipment, and operates as such.

4. If you get to understand how they work and how to keep them in adjustment, they are a wonderful machine. I'm almost thinking about selling my trusty 10ML60 because my Snowbird really impressed me in the Buffalo knife storm. I bought this S-241 for $40 back in the spring. Took me 3 months of on and off tinkering and repair to get it right, but it's all dialed in and is awesome :)

1 - 20 of 141 Posts