Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just joined today. I have been using my inherited yellow, 7hp vintage bobcat for about 25 years. It's so rugged I got rid of my Sears machine and never looked back. The only fault is controlling the forward speed separate from the thrower speed.
I need help. What I need is tires. THEY DON'T MAKE THAT S IZE ANYMORE! ! Mine are so rotten there's chunks missing, only keeping the tube in with plastic liner.
Does anyone know where I can find some used tires for this machine? It has the three hole lug pattern. It's a 4.50 tire I think. If you know what I'm talking about, I need help finding at least one. It's so jury rigged its ridiculous. There was a guy in Connecticut that used to specialize in the yellow bobcat, that was years ago. Can anyone give me a lead? Thank you.

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
You will want to get some XTrac snow tires ... they still make an equivalent to your tire, just post a photo of it, or at least what it has imprinted on the sidewall. If you cannot get them locally from Marketplace, most are not that expensive online.

You mention the rim as being 3 lug, that is what the older Ariens had for rims as well. Every rim I have seen could always be restored, just sand, prime and paint, and put in a new valve. I have restored more than I can remember.

I live in CT, and have been around here a long time and restored many blowers over the years. Here is just a couple of the XTrac tire photos ....

Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Crankset
Tire Wheel Vehicle Plant Automotive tire

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for responding. The tire is a Carlisle 10.5x4.50. The rims are good. An equivalent tire would have to have virtually the same out side diameter to work on the machine. The same inside also. These wheels are very wide. I would be very happy with very used tires as long as they aren't rotten. I use chains. The wheels use tubes. The original size is best, but I'm desperate. It snows slot in New Hampshire. What are my chances of finding a used tire or two?
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I contacted Carlisle Tire about my 10.5x4.5 tire for my vintage bobcat. They confirmed this size is no longer made and their closest size is 4.10x4. Clearly, this won't work on a 4.5 rim. What I need is a used original equipment 10.5x4.5. Any condition would be better than what I got. Can anyone steer me towards a source?

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
That is a 4-inch rim ..... 10.5x4.50-4 ... the dash 4 at the end is your rim size. There are plenty of snow tires in the Sno-Hog design out there, but they are expensive, like 40.00 each. Taking off and installing a tire on a 4 inch rim is a bit of a challenge, but having a mini-tire changer and all the proper tools and lube will make it go easier. Most snow blowers are with 6 inch rims, and the newer ones, many are 8 inch rims. A 4 inch rim was on many of the older smaller blowers like 20 or 21 inch.

NOTE Also ... that is a lawn tire your showing, which years ago many snowblowers had, and they expected you to buy chains and install them over the lawn tires .... This was before they were manufacturing snow tires like XTrac or Sno-Hog snow tires. Most all new snow blower tires today are of the XTrac design, or some still use Sno-Hog design ... I personally run all XTrac design, as I find them to be the most effective grabbing design and they track smooth, without any bouncing like Sno-Hogs or chains over lawn tires.

I have only seen the Sno-Hog design in a 4-inch tire ... I have never seen a 4 inch XTrac tire design.

Let me try to explain how to read a tire size .......

Let's take an example size such as your tire size of 10.5 x 4.50 -4

The first number in the tire size is 10.5. This number refers to the overall diameter of the tire or the tire height. In this example our finished, aired-up tire will be roughly 10.5" inches tall.

The second number in our lawn tractor tire size is 4.50. This number refers to the width of the tire. In this example our aired-up tire will be roughly 4.50" inches wide. This doesn't mean the tire mounts on a 4.50" wide wheel, normally the tire width will be wider then rim width.

The third number in our lawn tractor tire size is 4. This number refers to the rim diameter or the size of the hole in the middle of the tire. In this example our tire will mount on a rim with a 4" diameter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, you understand what I need. Thanks for the education. The rim is two halves that come together when bolted on. I sure don't want to spend $80., when what I really need is one used tire, original size. I appreciate your help. I think I will give up on pricey new tires and hold out for someone coming up with one used tire; Someone who is a fan of the yellow vintage Bobcat snowthrower. There used to be a guy in Connecticut that specializes in his machine, but that was many years ago. If I have to, I will continue to stuff a piece of old car plastic floor mat behind the hole as I have for years. It works, but I would rather have a good tire. I will keep searching the Internet, but this tire is a rare item. Any leads towards a used tire is greatly appeciated.

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
If that is a split rim, that means you will need (qty. 2) 4-inch tubes as well .... the good news, is that it will be a cinch to install the tires on the rims.

Just keep your eye out for 4-inch Sno-Hog tires, but used ones are extremely rare .....

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Your local Marketplace by Facebook or Craigslist will be a good source .... check also with any local small equipment repair shops, as they usually have all kinds of older units being discarded. As mentioned, that 4 inch is an obscure snow tire size.

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
After some searching, if it was my machine, this is what I would opt for from Amazon ......

You get 2 brand new tires for 4-inch rims and 2 brand new tubes, which you will need for split rims, with free shipping, all for 37.49 ...... done deal for sure.

Tire Automotive tire Product Tread Wheel

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I would try to get newer tires so the chains would not be needed. Forum: are there any wheels that will mate with the machine, and allow for newer treads? Otherwise oneacer is on point as usual

1 - 15 of 15 Posts