Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,

FYI, last winter I did a write up on my 1977 826's gearbox oil change:

http://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum/toro-snowblowers/36249-toro-826-auger-gearbox-fluid-change-pictures.html

Anywho, when I did the routine check up for this winter upon removing the 826 from summer storage in the shed (did an engine oil change, tire pressure and spark plug check, gearbox oil check), I noticed that some of the gear oil added last winter was missing. I added some through the drain plug and left the machine in the garage until today, a day after this year's first snow storm.

In any case, upon inspecting the machine, I noticed that a small amount of gear oil has dripped onto the garage floor. It doesn't seem to be coming from the drain plug, as I wiped it clean after adding oil two weeks ago and it's still dry. I do, however, see droplets of oil forming at the bottom of the gear box case.

Any ideas on where this could be coming from (common leak points)? I'm thinking that the driveshaft seal is possibly leaking, or the seals from the auger shaft (I haven't taken a closer look, as visibility is very restricted in there).

I wonder what to do with this? Take it apart and replace gaskets, if new gasket kits even still available? Put in thicker gear oil that hopefully won't leak? I noticed that the gearbox casing seems to be held together by bolts... I'm gonna try to tighten those first, perhaps (maybe they got loose over time?).

Note: the "leak" is actually a very slow drip from oil droplets forming at the bottom of the cast iron gearbox case... and it dripped on the floor even though the auger was never engaged. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Hi guys,

I noticed that the gearbox casing seems to be held together by bolts... I'm gonna try to tighten those first, perhaps (maybe they got loose over time?).
that's where I'd start. My '89 service manual says that they should be torqued to 120in-lbs.

here's the tightening sequence:

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the suggestion and pic!

Last time I had a similar issue was on my parents' 1997 Nissan Pathfinder. The valve cover bolts rattled themselves so loose that the truck would be pissing engine oil on the exhaust and burning it... it looked like the engine was on fire, lol! :eek:

Tightening the bolts fixed the problem on the Nissan. Hopefully, the Toro will be the same (I love cheap fixes, lol!).

;)

Question: how do you tighten the bolts in the back of the gearbox case? Do you need to take off the auger? (I'm not near the machine right now, but I believe access is very restricted back there from what I remember)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are going to have to overhaul the gear case. there BROTHER 762.:eek:k::eek:k::eek:k::eek:k::eek:k:
Overhaul, as in new gaskets/seals? (where does one even get the kit for a 1977 machine these days?)

I was kind of afraid of that.... let me try to tighten the case bolts first, lol!

·
Retired Moderator
3,149 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for the links, bwdbrn1! :)

I'm located in Canada, so probably won't be able to order these anyway... but having part numbers is a good start. Maybe a local dealer would have them, if new parts actually end up being needed.

The one question I've been asking myself is: how important is it to have a gear case full of oil at all times? My driveway is not that big and my normal snow removal operation with the Toro takes approx. 15-20 minutes. Plus when I changed the gear oil last winter, I've found a brown goo-ish liquid in the gear case that seemed to have been there for decades, yet no damage was done to the gears in years, it seems. See the link in my post #1 for pictures.

It's not like it heats up like a truck's diff/rear end due to excessive friction or anything... so perhaps it's not that crucial to have it full?

In any case, I'm gonna try to figure out a way to fix it without taking it apart for now and see if it helps. The other option is to keep adding a bit of fluid every few weeks. Not how I like to roll, but it may come to that...

:(

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Others here will rightfully disagree with this advice, as it's not what the manual says for that vintage. If I were you I'd consider replacing all the 90 weight oil with 00 grease. I'm not sure where you get this stuff in Canada, but here is an example of the grease I am suggesting.
NAPA AUTO PARTS

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Others here will rightfully disagree with this advice, as it's not what the manual says for that vintage. If I were you I'd consider replacing all the 90 weight oil with 00 grease. I'm not sure where you get this stuff in Canada, but here is an example of the grease I am suggesting.
NAPA AUTO PARTS

Thanks. I think it actually had something similar in the gear case before I swapped it for the 90 weight oil last winter. Maybe the leaking gearbox was a well known problem to the previous owner and the heavier grease was his solution...?

Thicker grease is much less likely to leak, after all... I think I'll try to see what can be done about the leak from the outside first (tighten the bolts, etc) and then take it from there. I paid $160 for the whole machine last year, so I'm not really inclined to be dropping $100+ in parts just to fix a minor leak... at least not yet. The seals, gasket, bushings and shipping to where I am will certainly add up quickly. Our sucky Canadian dollar and outrageous delivery costs most businesses charge make you think twice about having to order parts from the US, unfortunately.

In the past, I've had excellent luck sealing/repairing leaky gaskets with automotive liquid gaskets (the ones used on most modern cars instead of actual gasket kits). I'd "rebuild" some old worn out gaskets and their mating points with it, effectively stopping oil or water leaks. That too could be a possibility for my Toro's gear box... well, maybe (depends where the leak is).

:huh:

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I'm not sure when this pourable grease became the thing to use in many snowblower gearboxes, but the remnants of what you drained out appears (to me) to be a small amount of oil mixed with a small amount of some water to give it that creamy look.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I'm not sure when this pourable grease became the thing to use in many snowblower gearboxes, but the remnants of what you drained out appears (to me) to be a small amount of oil mixed with a small amount of some water to give it that creamy look.

I think the water puddles you see in it dripped from the insides of the auger, as the machine was used to blow snow the previous day. This is what I don't really get: the thing was low on gear oil for some time (years, maybe?) and what came out couldn't be much of a lubricant, yet the gear box never suffered any apparent damage (it blows snow like new). Can one get away with not having proper lubrication in there for so long?

The stuff that came out was very thick, molasses-like... definitely thicker than any gear oil I've seen. It had the consistency of peanut butter after it's been left out on the counter on a hot summer day, lol.

:eek:

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
My opinion. When a certain gearset has ran together for a length of time they will work better with their lifelong mate.
You may have actually gotten away with just a slight amount of lubrication from the couple teaspoons of creamy peanut butter that was remaining.
I had a couple tubes of this.triple zero grease I not only put it in my old Craftsman driftbreaker gearbox that was leaking. I put it in my near and dear machine that I would never typically "experiment" with. When I was actually able to rotate the impeller by turning the augers (back drive in other words that is typically not possible with a worm gear) I decided it must be good stuff.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have used 00 grease on many machines now with very good luck the last couple of years. very easy excellent solution that someone on this forum gave me.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I have a friend who will pass by south of the border this week-end and he's going to pick up two bottles of 00 grease at a Tractor Supply store:

Super S Cotton Picker Spindle Grease 00 - For Life Out Here

Hopefully, that will solve the issue. As I said, I don't really do a lot of snow blowing, just 15-20 minutes after every large snowfall, on average.

I looked in the service manual on how to get to the gear box and it's no doozie... you need to take the auger drum off on one side and I suspect it will be a major PITA (the machine is a 1977, after all... so it's probably seized on the shaft). I'll still try to tighten the gear box bolts though.

·
Account closed by member request.
9,612 Posts
Overhaul, as in new gaskets/seals? (where does one even get the kit for a 1977 machine these days?)

I was kind of afraid of that.... let me try to tighten the case bolts first, lol!
I can get the gasket and seals 4 that 1. there BROTHER 762

·
9,612 Posts
I think the water puddles you see in it dripped from the insides of the auger, as the machine was used to blow snow the previous day. This is what I don't really get: the thing was low on gear oil for some time (years, maybe?) and what came out couldn't be much of a lubricant, yet the gear box never suffered any apparent damage (it blows snow like new). Can one get away with not having proper lubrication in there for so long?

The stuff that came out was very thick, molasses-like... definitely thicker than any gear oil I've seen. It had the consistency of peanut butter after it's been left out on the counter on a hot summer day, lol.

:eek:
I would only use 80/90 weight gear oil. and not the syn stuff either. that is what is speced out by TORO.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I can get the gasket and seals 4 that 1. there BROTHER 762
Thank you, I'll keep that in mind brother Powershift93! (in case I need a plan B!)

;)

The machine used to have some thick molasses-like gear oil in it already and ran fine for the previous guy, with no visible leaks. I hate to go out of spec myself too, but tough problems sometimes call for unusual solutions. I'm not even sure if I can get to the gearbox to take it apart, with that drum most likely seized...

:unsure:

P.S. I've never found a belt cover or rear cover for this sucker... so I'm blowing snow "Mad Max" style again this year, lol! (with both covers missing and pulleys/gears exposed)

·
9,612 Posts
Thank you, I'll keep that in mind brother Powershift93! (in case I need a plan B!)

;)

The machine used to have some thick molasses-like gear oil in it already and ran fine for the previous guy, with no visible leaks. I hate to go out of spec myself too, but tough problems sometimes call for unusual solutions. I'm not even sure if I can get to the gearbox to take it apart, with that drum most likely seized...

:unsure:

the only way you will ever know. is to get down and dirty and find out.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts