Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A neighbor of mine asked me to look at his carb, said it wasn't working. I really don't like just getting parts to work on, and I don't know him well, but I said I'd take a look. It came off a riding mower, don't know anything else. I first noticed that the needle seat was tore up, and the float was stuck at an angle. I told him to get a new needle and seat, he did, but that didn't work, the seat did not fit properly (may have been a Tecumseh seat). So I asked him to give me the carb. I looked up the B&S engine number that he gave me and ordered a new needle and seat. They close properly, but the float is way off, no room at all to open the valve. I ordered a new float, thinking he had installed an incorrect one, and it behaves the same, it is fully closed even when the float is down (up in the pic). No room for movement. see pics the closeup of the inside of the carb is without the seat. By the way, the seat I got was green in color.

I have little experience with B&S carbs, and I am going off of the engine model number from the picture that he took, so that should be correct. Though someone else may have messed with the carb beforehand.

Parts diagrams show either a Walbro or Nikki carb, and Walbro can be either a soft seat / hard needle or a hard seat / soft needle. But the part numbers that I ordered seem correct. I don't think this is a pressed in brass seat type of carb. Am I missing something obvious? I am stumped.

thanks for looking.

IMG_20210624_073550960_HDR.jpg IMG_20210701_122912335.jpg IMG_20210701_123123894.jpg

Reactions: Eyeboltman

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah Grunt, I saw that site, but my carb does not look (exactly) like the ones with brass seats. And the parts diagrams list both types of seats. And my neighbor said he gave me all the parts, and there was no brass seat or soft tipped needle. I may just order a brass seat, and see if it fits. I hate throwing parts at a problem, and I'm doing this free, but it is bugging me,

Thanks again Grunt.

·
Super Moderator
1,458 Posts
A good starting point (if everything's confirmed there) is that you'll have to adjust the float height. A good ballpark is to have the float sit level with the carb body when it's upside-down. Adjustment is achieved by bending the tab on the float.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A good starting point (if everything's confirmed there) is that you'll have to adjust the float height. A good ballpark is to have the float sit level with the carb body when it's upside-down. Adjustment is achieved by bending the tab on the float.
yeah, this is a not a float height issue, the float is way off, pinned up against the emulsion shaft in the valve-closed position. We'll see if the brass seat fits this carb. I need to talk to the owner and see if I can get more info.

thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts