Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for advice form folks who have a lot of experience with walk behind snow blowers. I'm building a house in the mountains in Montana and the driveway will be 130 feet long with a large turn around area (see attached map). There is a lot of snow at least 6 months out of the year. Am I dreaming, thinking that a good commercial walk behind will do the job in a timely fashion? Or should I focus on something that I can drive? Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
455 Posts
Kabota....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Since I've never used one, can you give ma an idea how long it would take to use one on the driveway pictured?

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Since I've never used one, can you give ma an idea how long it would take to use one on the driveway pictured?
Kind of depends on whether there's 1 inch of snow or 3 feet... And whether it's dry or wet... And how long it's sat... And since you've never used one, your experience will likely vary...

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
You can seriously forget a walk behind unless you intend on importing one of the fine very large tracked walk behind diesel YANMAR/WADO or FUJI 2 stage snow blowers from Japan.

Its either that or a compact tractor with a heated cab and rear mounted snow blower. That way you can swivel the seat and clear snow with little effort and time.

You will want the rear tires and 2 link snow chains with R4 tires for the rear tires.
Don't bother buying a front mount snowblower as they are expensive junk.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I wanted to say you need loaded rear tires for it

Am I mistaken or can we no longer edit our posts???

·
Retired Moderator
9,900 Posts
I would think you might want to stick with a walk behind because of the layout. I think it would be easier to maneuver than a rider and also give you better chute/discharge control. Did you plan to get a rider for mowing ?
Your age and physical ability matter too. I have a rider but I find it easier to do my 300' driveway and turnaround with a walk behind.
Wind direction will also play a role in how you attack and move that snow. It seems you only really have one way to go, toward the street. Looks to be 50+ feet.
I'm guessing the thing that has a "7" on it is a deck and you only have nine feet between the parking area and the house and it's never a good idea to pile snow close to the house as it might find it's way into the basement come spring.
You'll likely have to move your snow across the driveway towards the road so you'll be tossing it twice.
Is the area marked "6" going to be a garden area? If so you wouldn't want to toss snow from the parking area there in case you have any road salt as it could kill the plants.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts