Snowblower Forum banner

Want to add a electric starter

4K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  LouC 
#1 ·
Hello, new to SBF and my first snow blower.

I was able to find a Sno Tek "24 model 920400 208cc 9.5tq LCT in my area cheap.

It runs well, but as I get older was looking for a way to add a starter. It looks to me I need to add a different flywheel, cut the shroud for the bendix cover on the starter, make something to hold the 120v plug.
On this forum a guy named Scot has a Ariens '60-'70 file. I looked and there are models after mine that have electric starters. So would one of those flywheels fit my machine?

Even with the possible $250 for a flywheel and starter I still come out ahead with the price I got the blower for.

Any information would be great.

Roger

#2 ·
welcome to the forum red ! sounds like a fun project, but it may be cheaper to repower with an engine already equipped with an e-start. ( my 208cc 28" sno tek has estart but havent yet needed to try it)

Reactions: Freezn
#3 ·
Exactly my intial toughts. If you sell your Sno Tek and add that money to the $250 you plan to spend on a fly wheel/starter, you can likely get a nice machine with an electric starter. Maybe enven a nicer machine than what you have now.

#4 ·
I agree with Nwcove's suggestion. You can repower your Sno Tek 24 with a brand new LCT Storm King 254cc engine for $129 plus shipping and it's a direct bolt-on to the Sno-Tek 24 with zero modifications.
Did the exact same swap on a 2014 Ariens Compact 24 this past summer. Everything lined-up exactly as the stock engine including the four engine mounting studs, the 2-7/16" crankshaft length, 3/4" pulley diameter, factory drive and auger belts. No additional trips to the hardware store needed. Direct "plug-and-play" and the 254cc engine is a fantastic match for 24" - 28" width snow blowers. The LCT 254cc storm king is specially designed for snow blowers, so unlike the Predator engines sold at Harbor Freight, there's no need to fabricate a heater box to keep the throttle linkage from freezing. Plus with the LCT Storm King your getting a 254cc engine vs the stock 208cc LCT engine. In addition, you're also getting electric start and 60w alternator output for adding a light or hand warmers. Can't go wrong for $129 plus shipping.

#5 ·
Ok, for $129 ish not bad.

The engine on this one works just fine, it's just I'm getting older lol. I got the machine for $170. Machine didn't have many hours as it looks new for a '09. So far the machine works just fine, sat last two years with no gas, got the chute and handle back together as I brought back in a Subaru outback. Added gas, hit the primer a couple of times and it started on four pulls. Oil had been changed already so I ran it for about an hour with no issues.

I'll have to look for the snow king then. It will be a summer project. Right now I have to do the shade tree thing.

Plus, I like messing around with stuff keeps a mind smarter.

Thanks for the replies.

#7 ·
Agreed the electric start is very nice to have, esp if you have a bit of carb trouble one year as we all have likely had, but using syn 5w/30 will make cold starts easier.
This is one thing I really like about 2 stroke blowers, if you have a good clean carb and fresh gas, they start very easy because you don't the resistance of cold oil in the crankcase. I have electric start on mine and its helped out a few times when I had carb trouble.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.