Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an i7243 with a Tecumseh hsk70 motor it has electric start and I cannot figure out a way to wire lights to it.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Not all engines have the appropriate flywheel, along with an alternator, to provide the electrical output for a light.

You'd be looking for at least a single wire coming off the engine, likely not connected to anything. I've had a machine with an HMSK80 with this wire, able to take a light, and another machine from the same year, also an HMSK80, but without provisions for a light.

If your engine doesn't have this output, then the simplest & cheapest approach is a battery-powered light on the machine itself, or a decent headlamp. I've been very happy with this $30 rechargeable headlamp. It's waterproof, and handy for a bunch of other things too.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013COPT6K/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Retired Moderator
9,913 Posts
:iagree: Sorry I must have been typing and looking for a photo. :eek:

:welcome: to SBF Bambam1020

Some engines come with lights, some come set up for lights and some come without the means to run a light. First thing to figure out is if yours has the means to run a light. Down by the starter or where the starter would be will be a single wire hanging off in space. That wire will be the wire that can supply electricity. If there is no wire they you either add something that's battery powered (and the battery) or buy the and pull the flywheel to install it. That's only if the flywheel has the right magnets. If not than you need a flywheel too.

On my Troy 2410 the leads where actually labeled. It had two leads, one for light, one hand warmers. Most I've seen it's just one wire and it's not labeled.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Then stop taking small-engine advice from your buddy :) Don't tap into the spark plug wire.

A battery-powered light of some sort is the cheapest and most-practical option. When I was looking for my HMSK80, a flywheel with magnets was somewhere around $80. Plus you need the alternator, and you have to disassemble the engine to swap those parts. Probably over $100, and a bunch of time, vs an inexpensive battery light, which could also be used for other things.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts