Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was helping a friend snowblowing his driveway and one of his nieghbor came out and asked if I fix snowblowers. I say I do but for myself only. She then asked if I would take her 1968 Ariens 10970 from her and her husband. I was a little perplexed by the question. Then she say, “it’s yours for free if you want it. We just bought a new snowblower.” She say I would be helping her out as it was just taking up room. So did what most here would do. I took it and thanked her. She told me it worked till last year when the an attachment linkage for the auger control broke so the auger won’t engage anymore.

Now I am inspired to restore this classic machine. What do you guys think. Is this a nightmare or is it worth restoring?

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
I often have to "help out" people with similar problems. It pains me, but somehow I manage to do what I can to help those poor souls.:wink2:

I myself have many projects just like that to catch up on. If you are so inclined, I say GO!

It is just too nice to scrap.

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
On those old Ariens, there is just one belt and a 2 jaw sliding clutch/coupler that transfers power to the blower itself, controlled by the black handle on the side, which is what I suspect she is talking about. They are very sturdy parts, so if I had to guess, one just came loose. Even if a half broke, it ought to be an easy fix . . .

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
Machines like that are a nightmare... for people who sell brand-new snowblowers. Because with a little effort, the darn things will run forever!

Definitely fix it, then use and enjoy it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Macplee
I just finished getting one ready to sell to a friend. It looks to be in the same condition as yours and it is worth the repair. The only thing I modified is the carb to put a fuel priming system on it.
Snoman110

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
restore? you mean wipe it off?

:grin:

That's in great shape! Preserve the patina!

Were you able to start the engine? It might have year-old fuel in the tank/carb & that points ignition might need a little TLC.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just had a chance to clean the points so now i have sparks. I drained the really old gas (smelly), replace the hose, drained the pitch black oil, and completely cleaned the carburetor and jets. Now I am just waiting for the new carb gasket kit to arrive so I can put it back together and hopefully it will fire up. If it fires up and functions well then i will do a restoration job, just for fun.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts