Snowblower Forum banner

61 - 80 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
bc ca i sure wouldn't want to know i have to drive the Coquihalla till mid may in loaded semi
I have two friends who are both Long Haul truckers, one goes Manitoba to Vancouver and back weekly, via the Coq and one does Van Island northern BC and Alberta, so he gets to experience both the Coq and the Canyon.
In 2017 I started school in Burnaby at BCIT in February and lived in Surrey for 6 months. Every second week I commuted back to Quesnel, and only one weekend were the highways so bad I had to stop at my daughter's in Kamloops.
Yes, high mountain highways, lots of snow and cold and ice, but for many it is a way of life.
I also have a second contract job that sees me travel from Quesnel to Williams Lake and/or PG once or so a week, and so far I have not had to many issues. Most seem to not understand the concept of snow tires and icy roads, and it seems as soon as you put the windshield of a 4x4 in front of some, they forget how to drive, and think they are invincible. More 4x4s in the ditch than rigs, buses or cars.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I live in Bridgewater ma and I don't put my blowers away until April 1st to the 15th. Even though we haven't had any big snowstorms in April in years I still remember the APRIL fools snowstorm that dumped 36 inches of snow.
Its still to cold to use the pressure washer and then winterize it again...
I'll just wait till April than put the blowers away and move the motorcycle into the garage...
From the house?

·
Registered
2,899 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
It was a good season Power Max got a work out and did an excellent job. I think we are done in my area (Hudson Valley NY) until next winter. Your thoughts.....
Not sure where in the Hudson Valley you are. Not being nosy, I'm 30 miles west of the Hudson near I-90 at about 1000' elevation. I won't put it away till May or so. The other night we got maybe 2" and single digit temps. And 40-50 mph winds. So today I needed to clear 6" drifts. Nuisance snow. We're on the tail end of most lake effect squalls so you never know when you might get a quick couple inches, and winds to move it around. After a warm-up today, we still have about 6-7" on the ground.

·
Registered
154 Posts
AccuWeather says wait
The first day of spring is less than a month away, but you shouldn't pack away your parka quite yet.
AccuWeather just released its annual spring forecast and it sounds like most of the United States will be dealing with wintry weather for longer than we'd hoped. 😬 Depending on where you live, experts are warning that "the winter hits may keep on coming" long past March 20th.

·
Registered
83 Posts
chargin,

Thanks for that weather update. It looks like I'm right on the line for severe weather! I hope it stays East of me!

Hec

·
Registered
17 Posts
I live in Milwaukee, WI...learned a long time ago not to trust weather forecast projections. We've had snow in April...sure it's gone by the next day or two but you still have to clear the drive.

When snow season has passed for good my machine gets same wash down and wax routine as my car. That's after gas has been drained, engine ran dry, plug pulled & cylinder fogged, everything greased/oiled, and oil changed...then it's put to bed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm not in the NE (SE Wisconsin here).

This morning i was out with the dog observing the melting show (still a lot in the yard, but it was 45 F at 10 this morning).
I was thinking about storing the blowers, and then laughed. We typically get a number of snows in March. It might be gone in a couple days, but still a chance to have fun clearing it 😁

On April 14th 2018 we got a MAJOR snow storm. I wait till May to store things now.
View attachment 176572

View attachment 176573
None of my business really, but you'd need to insulate your attic. There's heat loss there.;)

·
Registered
108 Posts
None of my business really, but you'd need to insulate your attic. There's heat loss there.;)
You would think BUT we get the same icicles on the east side. We had 15" of ins blown in AND air dams installed between rafters. It lessened the icicles to a point but still happens in the warm/thaw/freeze cycles.

·
Registered
424 Posts
the fat lady is warming up here in MA. March looks brown, not white. the lawnmower and trimmer are catching my eye.

·
2,394 Posts
snow in tomorrows "sat" report again than next week maybe up to 50, hate to say it but i'm ready for some warm weather and a trout steam holding a fly rod that's 36 days away

·
Premium Member
2021 HSS1332ATD
142 Posts
Man, I’ve still got a good two months of snow up here at 9600’ in Colorado. When April comes, it brings that high moisture stuff that is seemingly like cement. It always seems like the 10-12 of May every year we get a good dump of 10”+. As this is my first year with the Honda 1332, it’ll be a good test to see how it performs with that heavy stuff. This year in general has been light with less than 200” - but March is usually a good month for snow. Frankly, it being light the last three weeks has given me an opportunity to jump on the learning curve: only one impeller shear pin replaced so far....but lol only six hours of operation.

·
Registered
287 Posts

People here start uncovering their boats in March, but I usually leave the winter cover on till April, and don't run the engine till I know its not going to freeze just not to crawl around in the bilge to drain it if freezing weather comes. Rare in April here but it can happen.

61 - 80 of 113 Posts