Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across this guy's videos while I was researching Ariens. He has several videos where he complains about his Platinum 24 SHO not working well, being imbalanced, and leaking water inside the belly where the friction wheel gets wet etc. He claims it is a design fault.

Found 1 Of The Problems With My 2018 Ariens Platinum SHO. - YouTube

Curious if anyone on here has the same issues or if it is just one guy nitpicking. When looking at my new Deluxe 24 I was wondering if there is any value in putting some sort of rubber seal along the bottom side of the plastic belts cover panel if indeed water drips down there and heads to the inside rather than the outside. Maybe the metal rim there is angled down to the inside a little rather than angled up to the outside so it will drain.

Since I haven't used mine yet I don't know if it is even an issue so that is why I was curious if others saw this

·
Premium Member
1,149 Posts
That guy made a bunch of videos complaining about his Ariens, as I recall Ariens bent over backwards trying to satisfy him. He had made some errors when he assembled it and didn't seem to know how to properly use the machine. He had to turn off the viewer comments on You Tube because he got so much grief from viewers setting him straight.

I have had my Deluxe 28 SHO for 3 seasons, no issues with water leaking anywhere, no drive issues, no balance issues etc. It has worked flawlessly, I have no complaints.

You don't need to worry about any water intrusion issues, there is no design flaw.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That guy made a bunch of videos complaining about his Ariens, as I recall Ariens bent over backwards trying to satisfy him. He had made some errors when he assembled it and didn't seem to know how to properly use the machine. He had to turn off the viewer comments on You Tube because he got so much grief from viewers setting him straight.

I have had my Deluxe 28 SHO for 3 seasons, no issues with water leaking anywhere, no drive issues, no balance issues etc. It has worked flawlessly, I have no complaints.

You don't need to worry about any water intrusion issues, there is no design flaw.
Great, thanks. I figured as much since I didn't see any other hits on Google or on this forum, so figured it was isolated. This guy made his own weights, and complained about the transmission slipping due to water leaks inside, etc. Watching that monster SHO just collapsing in his modest size snowdrift led me to believe he was doing something wrong....

The magic of Youtube and social media. I'm sure Ariens would love if his videos were not hanging out there forever as it is not a very good advertisement for the brand.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I have a 7 seasons old Platinum 30 SHO (similar to the useless bloggers machine) and never a problem with a slipping transmission or any snow clearing issues. According to "Moving Snow" blog it is difficult to keep water out of the transmission area, but it does not affect the friction wheel transmission at all.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Those chunks of rubber are from the friction disc not the belt and that is normal on a friction drive machine. You can see in the video his rubber tire on the driven wheel is worn pretty much.
It is also normal to get water down inside them, every one does.
They have to get air down in the drive box to cool them and be able to allow the water to evaporate out.
some get more snow/water in them than others and many can slip the drive disc when wet, especially under a load, that is perfectly normal.
If he is worried about it slipping, he needs to get a Hydro-static drive that doesn't slip when wet. He will be looking at paying more money for it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
The Deluxe models have a plate between the engine and the frame which works like a gutter to direct the water to the outside of the chassis. I've owned my D-28 for two seasons and never once has the drive system slipped. In contrast, my past snow blowers over the past 35+ yrs, a couple of Jacobsens, an MTD, and a Craftsman, were frequently slipping their drive systems.

I think you're going to really like your Deluxe 24. Grease up the wheels and axles (take it apart to do so). If you want to increase the chute rotate angle by ~15 degrees, it's easy to modify the plastic gear under the guard.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Deluxe models have a plate between the engine and the frame which works like a gutter to direct the water to the outside of the chassis. I've owned my D-28 for two seasons and never once has the drive system slipped. In contrast, my past snow blowers over the past 35+ yrs, a couple of Jacobsens, an MTD, and a Craftsman, were frequently slipping their drive systems.

I think you're going to really like your Deluxe 24. Grease up the wheels and axles (take it apart to do so). If you want to increase the chute rotate angle by ~15 degrees, it's easy to modify the plastic gear under the guard.
Yep as I noted in my other thread about my new toy, I've done lots to it. Freed up the wheels from axles, greased them, greased the transmission, greased the friction wheel (just kidding), wire wheeled/primed/repainted rusty spots, and repainted the wheels. Tomorrow when I have time I'm going to attach the brand new scraper bar and new stainless hardware I bought for it (I decided to pay the extra few bucks for OEM scraper bar for the color match, although I'm sure Stens would have been fine too) and also the Detroit Thermo poly shoes. I am looking forward to it. When I would pull my old 7524 out to use it, it always felt "big enough" especially vs the little buzzy single stage "toys" that lots of neighbors use (or perhaps it is really the single stages that "use" the operators based on how I see some guys fighting with them in any sort of heavy snow). However the 7524 looks like a little shrimp next to the Deluxe 24. The larger frame, wheels, bucket, etc make it feel much more real and substantial.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I can definitely verify that fluids can leak onto the friction disk, as happened on my Deluxe 30 EFI bought new in Dec. 2019. In my case it was gasoline that leaked from a faulty fuel tank and fuel pump, destroying my friction disk. It has now been in the shop for over four months, as they are still waiting for the fuel tank and/or fuel pump. I will assume this will be fully covered under warranty. I don't know exactly what failed or how, but those two parts were ordered by the tech.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts