Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Smp 860, Arns 22k, 924026, Pwrlite
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
27cc 2 cycle on a troybilt weed whacker has weak spark. It had no spark , and I found there was no air gap with the coil. I set that at .016, (widest it gets) and have a new ngk plug gapped presently at .032. Spark won't even lick off starting fluid. Visually very weak. Can a coil be marginal? I'm sure a strapping young man could pull rope faster, but still... :)

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
27cc 2 cycle on a troybilt weed whacker has weak spark. It had no spark , and I found there was no air gap with the coil. I set that at .016, (widest it gets) and have a new ngk plug gapped presently at .032. Spark won't even lick off starting fluid. Visually very weak. Can a coil be marginal? I'm sure a strapping young man could pull rope faster, but still... :)
Your 0.016" gap seems too wide, have you tried 0.006", a business card thickness. The coil and armature surfaces must be clean and shiny.

The spark plug gap is wide too, perhaps try 0.027" to 0.030" range. The center electrode needs sharp and square profile, rounded center electrode needs more voltage to fire. The ground electrode needs square edges too. A new NGK should work perfectly with the right gap, but a faulty new plug is possible.

Good luck.

·
Registered
Smp 860, Arns 22k, 924026, Pwrlite
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, I'll try it closed down a bit. Guess i was off how thick a business card is. 🤪 The plug gap has been tried with a narrower gap. Appreciate the help. I put this away last fall running fine. Gremlins.

·
Premium GOT Member
9,694 Posts
Check end of plug wire if you can remove boot. Plus I would regap coil to specs. Clean contacts.
Agree with @Town .......doesnt hurt to try a different plug to cover all the bases....

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Your 0.016" gap seems too wide, have you tried 0.006", a business card thickness.
On my Honda HR214, I don't get a healthy spark unless the coil is snugged right up against the flywheel, maybe 0.002-0.003". If 0.006" doesn't work, try it a bit tighter.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Had a class in high school....teacher said use an index card. That seemed to work well. I'm sure somewhere there is a plethora of specifications.....oh well.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Now I think about it who has index cards anymore? Mom had a recipe file full of them....
Me old school...like the manually written stuff...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts