Snowblower Forum banner

Well, this is a first for me ......

7K views 53 replies 20 participants last post by  Yanmar Ronin 
#1 ·
This is the first time in my life I ever paid for a snowblower ... The deal was just to hard to pass up ... a pretty much brand new 524 Cub Cadet, 208cc overhead valve, zero turn power steering, one handle joy stick chute control, led light, etc.... .. Tires still have the factory nobs still on them.... not a bit of rust or any scratches whatsoever ... They were asking only 100.00, I offered 80.00 ..... its a keeper for my personal line up .... I am truly done now, this is the absolute last snowblower (til I sell some at least ..) :) :)

See less See more
#5 ·
i personally think you should just flip it. if it was a Ariens deluxe or SHO i would say keep it but a cub cadet is just a mtd machine. while i like them and you got a good deal they really aren't built that great. also the shorter chute works better at throwing snow farther. i know i had that style chute on my machine at the beginning of the season and was very disappointed with it. there is also a lot of moving parts for the trigger steering that cost lots to replace if they are not maintained.

#9 ·
no it is a powermore engine. they are pretty good engines.
and seem to break control cables and plastic parts frequently.
i don't know about that. yes there is lots of plastic parts but i haven't come accross many broken plastic parts or cables in the many machines i have pass through my hands. i know someone that has ariens with very little use and it had a $100 cable fail and the cable is only about 3ft long. i also think ariens had a lot of issues with chute deflector cables on their machines failing which is why they now connect from the top so water can not get into the cable so easily. mtd have been running pretty much the same setup for the last 20 years with no real change. i would guess this is because there is hasn't been any issues with it.

#8 ·
Famous last words oneacer.

That is a great buy no doubt.

I agree with crazzywolfie, I would clean it up, service it and flip it for a nice profit this fall/winter.

The MTD Cub Cadets are not great machines IMHO, and seem to break control cables and plastic parts frequently.

#14 ·
You can flip that for $350-$400, more the night before a 20" snow.

One of the best buys for a new machine I've seen.

#16 ·
To remove a carburetor from a Zongshen engine is terrible! You have to remove the muffler, gas tank, shrouds.

Reactions: Dusty
#18 ·
Not a fan of those MTD plastic chutes and cables. You didn't hurt yourself at the price though.

#19 ·
Update ..... After I got it home, evicted a couple mice, then parked it ..... Got to take it apart today and go through it before I fired it up .... It had been sitting in a shed for over a year..... Carb certainly could have better access, but not bad ..float filled with gas, seam let go, I may have one or Ill order probably a new carb .... and they chewed the accessory live feed, grounding it out .... Easy repair there ....changed the oil ... I am going to lube it up, clean and wax it while I am waiting on carb.

#21 ·
The Zongshens I've had to pull off all the stuff had a top mounted choke knob. They all were Craftsman if that makes a difference. In one way I like it because I have to charge the owners more but the other I feel guilty charging them more so I upcharge just a little more but enough.

#22 ·
This Cub has a Powermore 208cc, made by LCT ....... The choke knob is on the front of the heater box, but they did put some bolts in some hard to get places. I had to get to the flywheel anyways, so no big deal.

Ordered a new carb for 16.99 with free shipping ..... only needed the float, but new carb was a no-brainer at that price.

#25 ·
:) ... that makes 7 in my stable now .... I guess I can sell a few in the fall to give me back some room ..... I still have to put my circa 60's Ryan Core Plug Aerator back together ... looking good in John Deere colors ... :)

Reactions: rod330
#27 ·
#28 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.