Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The pictures show my way of fixing a Honda HS1132 that was really pitted from previous owners stone driveway.

I will let everyone know how it stands up to this winters snow.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,205 Posts
Whatever works! Let us know.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
If anything, you have reduced the clearance between the housing and impeller, which should work in favor of the performance of the machine. By chance, did you use some sort of adhesive under the plastic?

·
Registered
465 Posts
I've done that with old MTDs before. Lined the drum with part of a 5 gallon bucket. It adds about 10' to the distance it will throw snow.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did try adhesive....but it did not hold the plastic pail very well. Certainly not enough to use it with adhesive only.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's nice to know......Thanks
The pictures show my way of fixing a Honda HS1132 that was really pitted from previous owners stone driveway.

I have to report that with this latest very wet heavy snow. My plastic pail lining of the impeller housing must of gotten caught or sucked up into the impeller. I've lost about 3/4 of the pail lining. Since I'm without a heated garage to work in.....have to wait until spring, before relining it again. I will use the counter sunk stainless steel screws, that very well could still be there, but use a larger diameter washer to hold the plastic down, away from the impeller.

I had planned to pull the auger & impeller in the spring to repaint all surfaces. Now I have just to find another pail....Guess I have to shop at Home Depot.....get a orange pail.

Merry Christmas to all !!

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
If I may ask, what is the circumference of the auger housing?

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Ah, understood.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
What did it look like before you fixed it?
Do you have any before pictures?

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Pretty self evident just from his first post.

Well worn blower housing fix

Attached Thumbnails

Roy did you think using pop rivets with washers? as long as the impeller clearance to housing allows it.

·
Registered
864 Posts

nice work. that won't wear through again, in this century.;) or at least, not in our lifetimes.
she's good to go...

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
These are the pictures before installing the plastic.

I did think of pop rivets but was afraid that they would loosen with the vibration of the machine. What I have to do the next time is put a larger washer holding the plastic pail in place.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Ehh, pop-rivets are usually aluminum, which is pretty soft.

What about truck bed liner?

·
Super Moderator
2,677 Posts
Lining

What about truck bed liner?
I saw one someone had Rhino liner sprayed in. It was very rough and apparently didn't work out. I've thought about trying some of the epoxy concrete coatings like used in garages without the grit added. If it would apply smooth, hold up and be slick, might be worth a try.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've used double sided waterproof bonding tape in different applications. I think it would work well in conjunction with the bucket and the screws with wider washers.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If there where a Rhino liner spray that was slick....that probably would be great. But everything that I've seen is very course. I did consider that concrete coating, I do like that idea..

Koreywill: We can I get that two sided tape.....that would be nice to hold the pail in place while bolting it in.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Pretty self evident just from his first post.
Yes, I read his first post and any damage is covered by his fix. No need to show me his after pictures again, I saw them.:)
Seeing it before the fix is more evident. no guessing then.;)

These are the pictures before installing the plastic.

I did think of pop rivets but was afraid that they would loosen with the vibration of the machine. What I have to do the next time is put a larger washer holding the plastic pail in place.
Thanks for the before pictures.
I wonder if an application of a Liquid metal would have worked?
It is a patented process that allows the application of metal in a cold, liquid form.
You can brush or roll or spray it on, you could use a spatula too.

Check it out,
How to Cold Spray Real Metal

I heard about this stuff a while ago, I have yet to know anyone that has tried it.
That is why I asked for the before pictures, I wanted to see how bad it was before you covered it. You can't see that with the after pictures.

Did you beef some of the rot/holes with something like JB weld before you added the plastic over it?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes, I read his first post and any damage is covered by his fix. No need to show me his after pictures again, I saw them.:)
Seeing it before the fix is more evident. no guessing then.;)

Thanks for the before pictures.
I wonder if an application of a Liquid metal would have worked?
It is a patented process that allows the application of metal in a cold, liquid form.
You can brush or roll or spray it on, you could use a spatula too.

Check it out,
How to Cold Spray Real Metal

I heard about this stuff a while ago, I have yet to know anyone that has tried it.
That is why I asked for the before pictures, I wanted to see how bad it was before you covered it. You can't see that with the after pictures.

Did you beef some of the rot/holes with something like JB weld before you added the plastic over it?

Ed: I tried researching that Liquid Metal.....seems a little more advance & maybe more then I need right now...not sure.

I did not try JB weld product before putting on the plastic pail.

I'm going to try the plastic pail idea again, since while it was working, I threw snow so far that it was unreal. If I can't get it to hold up. I may take it to a welding shop, and have them just weld in a new impeller housing, right over the top of what is already there. They may have to reduce the length of the impeller blades... I don't see that as a large lost.

In the mean time. I'm looking for anyone that has used concrete coating on a steel surface.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts