Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I have been an Ariens-man, but what I felt was a good price, made me cross over to the dark-side, and I recently went Red.

A week+ ago, purchased a TORO PowerMax 826 and I liked it, and then found a better deal on a PowerMax 1028 with plans to unload the 826. Both are about 10 years old beased upon Model/Serial Number.

I was going through the 1028 before putting it into service, and one of the auger sheer pins seems to be rusted in place. I say sheer pin, but is it really a Grade 5 "bolt" ? I have been trying to loosen it with PB Blaster, and a clamp/large socket to ease it out, but I have not been successful. I am thinking about drilling it out, but not sure if I can do that with a standard HSS 1/4 drill bit - can I - or what method is better ? I suspect that if I can remove it, the auger will be rusted onto the shaft. So, if this is not really a sheer pin, am I wasting my time worrying about removing it, or should I continue to work on it ? I plan to bring this up to a lake-home, so I really don't want to get stranded with a broken gear case on a snowblower up there ?

I also just posted this on the TORO forum, and haven't gotten any feedback yet, so I thought I would alsopost here because seems like many here own bot TORO and Ariiens.

THX

·
Account closed by member request.
9,612 Posts
I would just leave it. you will not bust up the gear case. I have sucked up door mats the size of old phone books and never had any issues with it.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, "Red" really does build a "never" fail gear-case, and my 10-year old blower has one ? They say that the engine will just stall. Is that what happens when you try to snow blow a phone book ?

THX

·
Account closed by member request.
9,612 Posts
So, "Red" really does build a "never" fail gear-case, and my 10-year old blower has one ? They say that the engine will just stall. Is that what happens when you try to snow blow a phone book ?

THX
YEPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP The engines stalls out.

·
Super Moderator
6,670 Posts
welcome to the dark red side RIT333

·
Registered
225 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
"I thought you were going to say you hired a plowing service."

Bingo, this is what I thought when I read your topic subject line.

I'd give the PB Blaster some time to work. Spray a little on it every day. Maybe in a week, it will have penetrated all the way through.

·
Super Moderator
6,670 Posts
when you go dark side on a motorcycle it means you are using a car tire on the back but I'm pretty sure they don't make a car tire to fit a walk behind snowblower rim

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I don't know, those smart car tires might come close.....

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
I have seen one of those home made contraptions on youtube that was similar to an old 2 wheel gravely tractor blower that did have car tires on it, but I can't find the video now. I think it was orange.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Welcome... hope you enjoy your new machines. :cool:

I find for loosening some of these stubborn bolts I have to break out the airgun.

·
Super Moderator
6,670 Posts
I have seen one of those home made contraptions on youtube that was similar to an old 2 wheel gravely tractor blower that did have car tires on it, but I can't find the video now. I think it was orange.
know the one you are referring to, haven't seen it in a few years

1 - 13 of 13 Posts