Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The main gear shaft grease zerk, sticks out side of case behind tire, popped out of my machine last year. It’s a drive in type 5/16 according to the calipers. Will a replacement stay put with these type, should I tap it and use a threaded type? Or would it stay put with a tack of MIG weld easier and better?

·
Registered
842 Posts
are you sure it's a 5/16? most common zerk sizes are 1/4 x 24, 3/8 fine or metric 6mm and 8mm . a few are 1/8 npt . 8mm is very close to what you think is 5/16,

i think you need to try and get a size of the hole it goes in first then find a zerk that can be tapped then installed

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hole is right around 5/16and that’s depressed acout 3/16. I looked up the drill size and it comes up to some weird Ltr or Ltl size whatever tat means. I’m takin the easy way out and just getting another drive on. If it sucks I’ll go to tapping then.
Those style zeros plain suck.! This is he only machine of any sort I ever saw them on and I can see why. The good thing about this is that with 2 tiny tacks Of Mig wire it will stay put if it doesn’t want to stay put yet is easy and simple to access for a redo.

·
Registered
842 Posts
if you have a tap chart it will give a decimal. letter or number drill size for the thread, when used it sure makes tapping a thread a simple easy task.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts