Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What type of air gun do you prefer to have around you in your shop? do you have preference for a brand? how many blow gun one needs to have in shop?

I have always used the cheaper (Pistol grip type) plastic blow guns with a plastic trigger/handle, and to be fair , they usually last me 4-5 years before they start leaking air or show small cracks near the inlet, I have tried the ones with lever on top but don't care much for them.

Just bought this one from Amazon to give it try, so far I really like it , it's pressure is not adjustable, it's 120 PSI or nothing, but that's what I really was after for blowing dust/debris from clothes or other surfaces.

I also found a Guardair brand air gun which seem to have good reviews , some say they are made in USA but in all likelihood they are made in Taiwan now, do you own one? what do you think of them?

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
When I bought out Konica-Minolta's lab in Maine in 2006, I received about 12 of these Geigers. They're still all going strong. I have each one on a coil-hose with quick-connects hanging from the ceiling at a machine tool or workstation.

·
Premium GOT Member
9,812 Posts
What type of air gun do you prefer to have around you in your shop? do you have preference for a brand? how many blow gun one needs to have in shop?

I have always used the cheaper (Pistol grip type) plastic blow guns with a plastic trigger/handle, and to be fair , they usually last me 4-5 years before they start leaking air or show small cracks near the inlet, I have tried the ones with lever on top but don't care much for them.

Just bought this one from Amazon to give it try, so far I really like it , it's pressure is not adjustable, it's 120 PSI or nothing, but that's what I really was after for blowing dust/debris from clothes or other surfaces.

I also found a Guardair brand air gun which seem to have good reviews , some say they are made in USA but in all likelihood they are made in Taiwan now, do you own one? what do you think of them?
You should be fine. I have a cheapy but it does the job.

Reactions: distrbd

·
Super Moderator
261 Posts
Hand Automotive tire Finger Wood Nail

My alum pistol one in the vid below is the one I grab the most at home. When I worked in shops we carried a homemade one in our pockets at all times. The 90deg angle lets you blow stuff off your back easily.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I bought out Konica-Minolta's lab in Maine in 2006, I received about 12 of these Geigers. They're still all going strong. I have each one on a coil-hose with quick-connects hanging from the ceiling at a machine tool or workstation
I got two of those blue ones very similar to the one in your pic, one has a very low output so it is relegated to blowing metal chips off my mill and lathe, the other one that I use the most leaks slightly but enough that make my compressor kick in unexpectedly that scares the hell out of me , I don't see any way to fix it by replacing the rubber "O" ring , which is too bad because it's so comfortable to hold/use.

·
Registered
945 Posts
The only one I use regularly has a 4' tube on the end so I can blow off chainsaws without getting **** all over myself.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
I have this style and one with a 2' extension, both with quick disconnects.
They are cheapies from Princess Auto. They are fairly robust and will take some abuse, will leak some air when not in use and over time cause the compressor to come on if valve is left open.
The one with a 2' extension is handy for a quick cleaning of the garage floor, blowing dust from benches, shelves, over head lights, cob webs etc.

Bicycle part Gun accessory Metal Composite material Titanium

Grey Rectangle Parallel Font Eyewear

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That OSHA tip is crazy. It’s like a jet, the air gun actually recoils in your hand.
I never cared for them either, I guess it was a necessary improvement to stop idiots from harming themselves or co-workers.
A few years back , the safety supervisor at my place of work used to randomly check worker's blow gun just see if they were with a hole or not and if he ever found one without that venturi ,he would force the worker to drill a 1/8" hole near the tip ,then call the gun "compliant".

·
Super Moderator
261 Posts
Here are a few more homebrew ones from the semi-trailer gig. We blew out trailers after working on them especially blowing out expanding foam after shaving it down--a nightmare.

The copper one started out longer but broke after being bent a million times. Note the hanging hooks. They hung on my toolbox.
Wood Automotive exterior Office ruler Bumper Gas

·
Registered
765 Posts
I have this style and one with a 2' extension, both with quick disconnects.
They are cheapies from Princess Auto. They are fairly robust and will take some abuse, will leak some air when not in use and over time cause the compressor to come on if valve is left open.
The one with a 2' extension is handy for a quick cleaning of the garage floor, blowing dust from benches, shelves, over head lights, cob webs etc.

View attachment 195880

View attachment 195881
Those are similar to what I have too. Good enough for my needs.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I have had this one for a long time.
No brand or name anywhere on it, must be pre Chinese era. :)

Automotive tire Product Blue Tread Electrical wiring
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior Bumper
Revolver Hand tool Tool Bicycle part Gas

·
Registered
502 Posts
There are two nozzle configurations that I find useful of an air gun.
1) With a venturi which is what I use 99 percent of the time. Although you should not blow off your body or clothes, this is the nozzle you should use if you do as you are less likely to blow air through your skin and possibly end your lifes journey. If you are careful to keep the gun back and blow on an angle you will stay safer.
2) A nozzle with a good 2 foot reach and no venturi to keep a distance from something that is hard to blow off or might blow back in your face. A face shield is a good item as well when performing this task.
I have driven too many people to the hospital to get debris from their eyes not to bring this up. Stay safe.

Wood Household hardware Hardwood Fashion accessory Metal

I personally prefer the pistol grip metal bodied guns simply because if you drop them on the ground they don't break very easily and they are more ergonomic to use if you have a large blow off job.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts