Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen these on some bigger/higher end models and was wondering what their function is? The rails bolted to each side of the bucket that are adjustable.

Do you put them up when the snow is so deep you can't see the bucket? Anything else they might be used for?

A newbie question I know but I had to ask because google isn't helping me on this one.

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have seen these on some bigger/higher end models and was wondering what their function is? The rails bolted to each side of the bucket that are adjustable.

Do you put them up when the snow is so deep you can't see the bucket? Anything else they might be used for?

A newbie question I know but I had to ask because google isn't helping me on this one.

They are called drift cutters. Loosen the wing nuts and raise them up when you're in deep snow to cut drifts and have higher snow fall in front of your machine instead of on top. Some machines like Honda and Yamaha offer stationary versions.

·
Account closed by member request.
9,612 Posts
Yep that is what they are. I have never needed them because when we do get dumped on here. THE BROTHERS like to go head on, full bore and right through the center of it all.:smiley-whacky017::smiley-whacky017::smiley-whacky017::smiley-whacky017::smiley-whacky017::smiley-whacky017:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay thank you, I had to know!

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Okay thank you, I had to know!
You can buy drift cutters at Lowes and probably 20 other places. There are generic version that can be made to fit on most buckets. Only useful in really deep stuff however, if you don't get that really deep snow, you can probably live without them. One thing you MIGHT find useful depending on the balance you your machine is a weight kit for the front of the bucket. Some machines are balanced too far forward and the bucket can tend to ride up over the snow instead of biting in underneath. I added 16 Lbs to my Craftsman/Husqvarna this year and it made a big difference.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can buy drift cutters at Lowes and probably 20 other places. There are generic version that can be made to fit on most buckets. Only useful in really deep stuff however, if you don't get that really deep snow, you can probably live without them. One thing you MIGHT find useful depending on the balance you your machine is a weight kit for the front of the bucket. Some machines are balanced too far forward and the bucket can tend to ride up over the snow instead of biting in underneath. I added 16 Lbs to my Craftsman/Husqvarna this year and it made a big difference.
Excellent and very useful advice, thank you.

My machine also didn't come with a chute unclogging pick/trowel. Anyone who where you can buy a kit to affix to your bucket with that device?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts