Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Toro 826LE/w Repowered Tecumseh 10.5
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've owned my Toro 826LE for a year and it's a good blower.

I may try and upgrade to an Ariens after this season in spring of 2023 when prices comes down.

What are the best bang for your buck models in your experience? I'm looking for something with 8-11 HP 24-28 inch models. I don't want to spend over $500(CDN).

Any models to avoid?

I know a properly maintained blower is best to get, but I don't mind putting in some work.

·
Registered
366 Posts
from my limited experience.. some Ariens in the size range your looking at didnt have a cast iron gearbox housing.. and those seem to be shunned aside... usually they would have smaller diameter auger/impeller as well.. which is probably more a problem ( given one particular width) for when the snow gets deeper.. say 2 machines.. both 24in.. same engines.. one with 14in auger and impeller.. the other with 12in impeller and augers.. the 14in auger-impeller model will move snow faster..

from personnaly experience.. my father inlaw has an ST10-32.. my biggest cimplaing tring out his machine in 12-15inches of dry fluffy snow.. was that it shoots out the bucket anythign past 1st gear..like it wouldnt chew its bites kinda thing.. i think its got something to do with the low.. square bucket shape more than anything else and im assuming its less a problem with the narrower buckets of the same shape

Reactions: KJSeller

·
Registered
232 Posts
I'd avoid the ST824s with plastic wheels: Need Rims/Tires for Ariens ST824S
Deluxe 28 SHO is not only the best bang for the buck Ariens machine out there, it’s the best bang for the buck snowblower across all brands (IMHO) out there. If you want a few more bells and whistles, the platinum 24” SHO has heated grips, and a little bigger engine. I have a 2019 Platinum SHO and love it. I have several neighbors with deluxe 28 SHO’s that I’ve had the opportunity to try. Both very reliable machines with excellent power, easy handling/ starting with auto turn, and able to handle any depth snow or EOD pile. The regular deluxe is a nice machine, you just have to be willing to slow down when the snow gets deeper say 6”+. My SHO is impossible to plug with wet snow. The engine torque/speed, and the SHO impeller/faster impeller just overpower anything I throw at it. I ran other machines for years (still have some of them in the stable). When I shopped for a new blower in 2019, it was my first Ariens, and I’d buy the Ariens again in a heartbeat. Being made in Brillion Wi, and being family owned for so long, parts are pretty easy to get & I'm guessing always will be. Ariens has many Great free online videos to help you if you do need repairs buying a used machine. You can download a more detailed repair manual online for free for most newer machines, which is nice. I don’t recall you giving much info about type or amount of snow you receive, but if you want a machine to last you say 20 years or so, and you get 80-100” a year (or more) with a couple of big storms mixed in), I’d avoid the smaller deluxe machines as I just don’t think you’ll be as happy with them in really deep or heavy wet snow. (there still good machines) Good luck, and always ready to answer questions about my machine, or share videos of it in use.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Since you suggest it would be an upgrade, what's wrong with the Toro that you think would be cured by buying an older Ariens using the limiting factor of a $500cdn purchase price? Just wondering. I have a couple of Toros and find them to be solid reliable machines,

·
Registered
Toro 826LE/w Repowered Tecumseh 10.5
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Since you suggest it would be an upgrade, what's wrong with the Toro that you think would be cured by buying an older Ariens using the limiting factor of a $500cdn purchase price? Just wondering. I have a couple of Toros and find them to be solid reliable machines,
Nothing is wrong with the Toro. I'm probably just bored and want to try an Ariens out. 🤣🤣
I had a single stage Ariens 522 as my first blower years ago. I don't have enough space to keep multiple blowers though. With the prices of used blowers especially newer ones at an all time high I'll probably just stick with the Toro.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I have several Ariens snow blowers and the only one I did not like was my 11528 so I sold that one, I also did not like ,my old ST-824 it did not blow snow well. Have 2 10K series Ariens blowers that blow snow really well for classic machines. I just picked up a Deluxe 28, so we'll see if this one is better than the other 28 I had. Just need some snow.

·
Premium Member
5,365 Posts
I've owned my Toro 826LE for a year and it's a good blower.

I may try and upgrade to an Ariens after this season in spring of 2023 when prices comes down.

What are the best bang for your buck models in your experience? I'm looking for something with 8-11 HP 24-28 inch models. I don't want to spend over $500(CDN).

Any models to avoid?

I know a properly maintained blower is best to get, but I don't mind putting in some work.
May as well stick with your Toro. They're good machines and you know what you have.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts