Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. Yesterday I stopped at my local dealer to see some machines. They carry Toro, ariens and cub cadets. I almost left with a platinum 24

However the salesman said the Toro has a really nice joystick for the shute and a bigger intake for snow to reach the impeller. He also said that the ariens come back the most for service then the other 3 brands.

I had a hard time believing what he said.
What do you guys think?

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I don't know much about which comes back for repairs the most...but the OPE dealer near me that I do business with is an Ariens dealer, and I notice that 8 out of 10 blowers out back for repairs are Ariens....

·
Premium Member
4,811 Posts
Hi everyone. Yesterday I stopped at my local dealer to see some machines. They carry Toro, ariens and cub cadets. I almost left with a platinum 24

However the salesman said the Toro has a really nice joystick for the shute and a bigger intake for snow to reach the impeller. He also said that the ariens come back the most for service then the other 3 brands.

I had a hard time believing what he said.
What do you guys think?
Consumer reports backs up his opinion. But not sure how accurate CR is. They use actual owner feedback now so I feel there is more weight to their surveys.

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
And the other part of the equation is how many of each, Toro, Ariens and Cub Cadets are in that dealers area and what is the percentage of those machines that come in for service. If you have a lot more of one brand than another it would be natural to have more in for service and repair.
And is service just service like adjustments, plug, oil change, belt ... or is it a repair ? If there are a lot of machines in for service it might just indicate you have a lot of folks with more money than time or skills.
Like a guy who drives his new Vette or Porsche around in the winter. You figure he should be able to afford a winter car but then again maybe they're only going to have it for a year or two.

The Cub is an MTD painted yellow but it's not bad and will get the job done. Personally I'd go for either the Toro or Ariens based on specs, price and warranty. Did you try the joystick and did you like it ?

·
Registered
654 Posts
What are the repairs being performed. Simple adjustments after the break-in period or parts failing? Also as mentioned, how many of each brand are being sold at this dealership and what percentage of them come back for warranty repairs. That's the info I would like .

·
Registered
71 Posts
What tends to break on them? I'm most interested in what breaks on an Ariens since I have one (any spare parts I should keep on hand?), but curious about the rest as well.

·
Registered
579 Posts
What tends to break on them? I'm most interested in what breaks on an Ariens since I have one (any spare parts I should keep on hand?), but curious about the rest as well.
For me personally, I like to keep extra shear pins, belts and a friction disc (wheel) on hand for my Ariens and Craftsman snow blowers. If one of these parts go, I can you use my backup blower to finish snow removal, then work on the other without having to hunt for the parts; kind of a time saver!

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I'm of the mind set of having a backup, and a backup backup. But I like snowblowers! I also have multiple machines at any one time for sale to bail me out.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I'm of the mind set of having a backup, and a backup backup. But I like snowblowers! I also have multiple machines at any one time for sale to bail me out.
Same with me! I like a backup to the backup and also have multiple units for sale. And I have used my backup to the backup when the backup broke down! It worries me not to have 3 machines, scares me to have only 2, terrifies me to have only 1.

I also like to use the machines I have for sale, even for only one sidewalk, before they go out of here in case there is a problem, I can take care of. And I've had my main machine, my backup, the backup to the backup all fail, broken, broke belt, belt slipping, carb problem, water in the gas, didn't start, and have gone to the For Sale machines to use.

·
Super Moderator
3,855 Posts
I don't know much about which comes back for repairs the most...but the OPE dealer near me that I do business with is an Ariens dealer, and I notice that 8 out of 10 blowers out back for repairs are Ariens....

also, 8 out of 10 blowers out back for service at a Toro dealer are Toros.
and 8 out of 10 blowers out back for service at a MTD dealer are MTD's.
etc. ;)

Scot

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
also, 8 out of 10 blowers out back for service at a Toro dealer are Toros.
and 8 out of 10 blowers out back for service at a MTD dealer are MTD's.
etc. ;)

Scot
I thought of that as well..that's why I mentioned it was at the Ariens dealership. I went to another repair place I go to visit nearby this morning to wish the owner Merry Christmas, and looked over the brands on the floor just repaired. 50/50 Ariens and MTD, with a lone Honda

·
Registered
7 Posts
Depends of what machine is popular in you're area 50% of my neighbors have Ariens the rest are mixed brands, so when i got to my local repair shop guess what i see most in for repair you got it right Ariens

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
The Ariens/Toro dealer that I’m friends with has more Ariens back in for warranties and repairs.

They say that most consumers initially want the Ariens but some are swayed by the dealers preference of Toro.

It ends up equating to nearly equal sales of each brand, but more Ariens back for repairs.

Still anecdotal.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Lot of variables to consider. As mentioned, how many of what brand the dealer/service shop sells is a big part of it. Clearly, an Ariens dominant dealer will be working on more Ariens.

Also worth thinking about how many extra doodads are offered on the machine. Complexity leads to service calls, and the more complex the system, the more calls will be made. I think if I paid a few hundred extra for an automatic roof scraper (!) you better believe I'll make a stink if it doesn't work.

·
Registered
543 Posts
get a large mix due to the 3 local box stores, hd,lowes and tsc, yet the most often in are MTD brands, from the biggest two boxes are so poorly assembled to start with.
one thing i can say about tsc is they do properly assemble, oil,fuel and test run before they line them up outside.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
How many are there for a tune up vs an actual mechanical failure? When you have a brand that sells a lot of machines, you'll no doubt see more at the repair shop for tune ups and repairs.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts