Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone have any idea of what the breakdown is for newish machines in North America?

After reading this forum for a bit I would think it might be Ariens first followed by Honda than maybe Cub or Husky.

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
I dont know the numbers for North America, but in this area MTD brands thru big box stores out sell all others. Which include yardworks, Cub Cadet, Yard machine, to name a few, MTD machines are sold under many names. The appeal seems to be price and exposure. These brands are sitting around most hardware stores. Most people seem to buy them on impulse without much researhing. Toro would be number 2 with Husqvarna 3rd due to local dealer presence.
The majority of the used machines I see listed for sale are MTD.

·
Banned
2,029 Posts
unfortunately, mtds are top sellers around here as well. mostly due to uninformed buyers and there everywhere nowadays

·
Registered
266 Posts
unfortunately, mtds are top sellers around here as well. mostly due to uninformed buyers and there everywhere nowadays
I agree that MTD is the largest snow blower supplier, but not because their buyers are uninformed. The fact is not everyone wants, needs, or is in position to afford more than an entry level two-stage snow blower.

Perhaps they don't have the clearing area to justify a more expensive machine, or maybe they don't care about more than basic features, or perhaps they'd rather spend their money on something else.

I have a Craftsman (MTD) snow blower, purchased in 2014 for under $600. It has a cheap plastic chute that doesn't catch ice like the expensive steel ones. I added DIY paddles and now my snow blower out throws my neighbor who was more informed so he bought an Ariens.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Anyone have any idea of what the breakdown is for newish machines in North America?

After reading this forum for a bit I would think it might be Ariens first followed by Honda than maybe Cub or Husky.
every forum has a bias, you can't avoid it, it's just a way of life. Here it happens to be Ariens or Honda. No big deal just what it is, but I wouldn't say it's representative of the larger market. Or maybe it is. I don't know. Just saying, recognize the pros/cons of internet information, and accept it.

To answer your question, I think MTD seems to sell a lot. They are a decent machine for the money, not top end, but not total junk either. They work, I had one for nearly 20 years, and it ran perfectly and worked fine when I sold it this year, for $300. Got me through as much as 30 inches of snow. Wasn't easy, but it worked.

there's an ass for every seat, and money dictates volume.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I agree that MTD is the largest snow blower supplier, but not because their buyers are uninformed. The fact is not everyone wants, needs, or is in position to afford more than an entry level two-stage snow blower.

Perhaps they don't have the clearing area to justify a more expensive machine, or maybe they don't care about more than basic features, or perhaps they'd rather spend their money on something else.

I have a Craftsman (MTD) snow blower, purchased in 2014 for under $600. It has a cheap plastic chute that doesn't catch ice like the expensive steel ones. I added DIY paddles and now my snow blower out throws my neighbor who was more informed so he bought an Ariens.
Excellent post. I had the same experience with my MTD, as I said. If not for the fact I have to do three houses, and three EOD situations, I'd still have it.

·
Banned
2,029 Posts
i personally think that if buyers did their research better then people would be willing to spend a couple hundred more to get a significantly better quality machine. im not sayings ariens is the best you can buy, and i am not saying mtd is the worst you can buy, believe me you can do way worse. i just think that for a little bit more you can get something way better such as a toro powermax or a deluxe 24. i personally think its sad that most people are to lazy to do a half hour of research and make a wise well looked into purchase. i know if i was spending my hard earned money i would

·
Registered
221 Posts
Kind of like peoples preference for Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Honda, Toyota......... They are all good snow blowers and cars and trucks.
You have to keep up on the maintenance on anything mechanical or even the best rated brand will wear out and fail.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
i personally think that if buyers did their research better then people would be willing to spend a couple hundred more to get a significantly better quality machine. im not sayings ariens is the best you can buy, and i am not saying mtd is the worst you can buy, believe me you can do way worse. i just think that for a little bit more you can get something way better such as a toro powermax or a deluxe 24. i personally think its sad that most people are to lazy to do a half hour of research and make a wise well looked into purchase. i know if i was spending my hard earned money i would
I agree. I buy that way myself, buy good, buy once. Especially for tools. My wife says I shop around and research before buying shoe laces, but it's how I am.

However, you're projecting your assessment of "value" to other people, who have a different assessment of "value". To write them off as "lazy" or "ignorant" is arrogant. Let's face it, most of these machines have the same engines, and most will start, run, and move snow. A lot of these things hard core people discuss are ethereal nuances many consumers don't care about.

To label something as "better" when most people care about "good enough" misses the foundations of consumerism. They'd spend $1000 twice, and get new machines, then spend $2000 once. Who can say if that's the right way to go or not?

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I was talking at breakfast today with a man and we started on snowblowers.....he has an MTD product that he bought from Home Depot new in 2004, and all he has done is change the oil once, and put gas in it. I know other people with the same experience...only they have never changed the oil. I don't think they are the best quality machine made....but obviously, they are good enough.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
I agree that MTD is the biggest seller because of the number of brands they have and the distribution locations, and their price.

After that, who knows, there isn't much left, Toro maybe mostly because of their single stage presence, Husqavarna because of the number of marketing locations, Honda but they have a high price point, then Simplicity, quality but you pay for that.

Today's shoppers are more price conscious but are unaware of the differences in quality and the smaller more important nuances. They look at the name they recognize from years before when that name meant quality, then the color and shinyness of the machine. Snow blowers have gotten more complicated between the differences and a knowledgeable salesperson could easily bore the person! Though a good salesperson will cut to the chase and ask quotations of the buyer.

Looking at MTD, they use the same engine as others, same tires, same belts. MTD will last many years and will do the job. You keep it in your garage, service it, wash it off. The metal may be, may be, slightly thinner than some others. I don't know anything about their bearing quality or gearbox. The worst things about MTD, the cable routing and the cables on some of their models, and the transmission on their lowest end model that uses a handle bail same as lawn mowers use and had no gears but one forward.

There is no fair comparison to the quality of a Honda or Simplicity, look at the design, look at the thickness of the metal of the frame, how well it is supported, less flex in the frame. Honda and Kawasaki engines are the mold for all the other engine manufacturers.

You want better, spend a little more money; you want a lot better, spend a lot more money.

If it does the job for less money, that's all the public cares about. The key point here, it does the job. This is why there are low end cars and high end cars, but remember, they both will do the job, getting you from point A to point B.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I dont know the answer but it would be interesting to see if the industry publishes such numbers.

My guess would be to agree with all those saying it is MTD....They are less money on a whole. Available almost everywhere.

Most people with an MTD brand machine are getting their needs met. It is just like a car.....If you can afford the Lexus you get it.....most can't or some who can don't believe there is enough value in it for them. They get something for less money.

·
Registered
772 Posts
go look at home depot's website there are about 2 pages of gas snowblowers that have 4-5 stars for reviews.

at that point people will say what is the least amount of money i can spend for the style and size of blower i want.

alot of the time thats the MTD brand. that is why they sell the most blowers.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I was talking at breakfast today with a man and we started on snowblowers.....he has an MTD product that he bought from Home Depot new in 2004, and all he has done is change the oil once, and put gas in it. I know other people with the same experience...only they have never changed the oil. I don't think they are the best quality machine made....but obviously, they are good enough.
Good point. Those who buy more expensive equipment are more likely to take care of it, resulting in better longevity and performance.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
go look at home depot's website there are about 2 pages of gas snowblowers that have 4-5 stars for reviews.

at that point people will say what is the least amount of money i can spend for the style and size of blower i want.

alot of the time thats the MTD brand. that is why they sell the most blowers.
But let's not disparage them as being ignorant, lazy, stupid, whatever. That's just not fair, and turns people off, people who could be posting here.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts