Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While blowing down at EOD last evening in Connecticut my 13 year old Ariens stopped and I found the attached wrapped all over the augers. Today after multiple cuts with my Dremel I was able to get the mystery cables out. I replaced 1 shear pin and it started right up and I completed my blowing. I now see that the metal plates say "TIRE SIDE" so I'm guessing this is a tire chain for some wheel. Any other thoughts.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Thanks! Would this type be used on a car or pick-up or both?
What a cluster-muck that had to be, pulling that spaghetti out of there in the cold with frozen fingers ....

Answer: Probably light trucks as well as cars:

"These Peerless Winter Track Passenger Car Tire Cables work equally well on front- and rear-wheel drive vehicles. The low profile design allows them to be used on all vehicles, including those that require S.A.E. Class "S" requirements. They are lightweight and quiet running so you have a smooth ride. These Peerless tire cables are designed to hold up against use."

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Peerless-Winter-Track-Passenger-Car-Tire-Cables/19853271

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tom, thanks for your reply and especially the walmart description because it shows why I kept seeing 3/4 inch "springs" falling as my Dremel cut another cable. I'm retired so I did the work in daylight and when my fingers got numb I went into my man cave via the hatchway. I don't think I could have been successful without the Dremel battery operated tool. Midway through I realized I had not turned the fuel shutoff. I mopped up at least some of the gasoline. Hope I don't have a hole in the asphalt.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Gladly. I sure hope that never happens to either of us again! What a mess, and the gasoline spill to add to the pleasure of it all. Hoping the asphalt is ok, too.

Here's to happier snow blowin': :icon-cheers:

Tom, thanks for your reply and especially the walmart description because it shows why I kept seeing 3/4 inch "springs" falling as my Dremel cut another cable. I'm retired so I did the work in daylight and when my fingers got numb I went into my man cave via the hatchway. I don't think I could have been successful without the Dremel battery operated tool. Midway through I realized I had not turned the fuel shutoff. I mopped up at least some of the gasoline. Hope I don't have a hole in the asphalt.

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
Well According to description: They are lightweight and quiet running so you have a smooth ride!!!!! You wont even notice they are ON!!!!! OR OFF!!!!!! May as well put that next to the pile of missing hubcaps near the street> GLuck, Jay

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Well According to description: They are lightweight and quiet running so you have a smooth ride!!!!! You wont even notice they are ON!!!!! OR OFF!!!!!! May as well put that next to the pile of missing hubcaps near the street> GLuck, Jay
Yup, they are very quiet, until they get into an auger, where they make quite a racket.... for a few seconds.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't hear any noise (over the engine). The engine and lights just stopped "instantly".

Glad I got it going on Friday to finish blowing the 15+ inches cuz I also used it for about 2 or 3 inches Saturday morning and will be blowing 4 to 8 tomorrow morning.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts