Snowblower Forum banner

15501 - 15520 of 15640 Posts

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Wow, smokey, that looks to be in great shape!

My current blower is mechanically sound, and I replaced the worn parts. But it must have spent a bunch of time outside, and it shows. Which also led to a bunch of stuck fasteners twisting off, causing a lot of headaches.

The whole thing made me really appreciate a non-rusty machine. And it, of course, helps curb appeal and value, when it's time to sell.

·
Premium Member
4,813 Posts
messed up my back yard last year by maybe dethatching too low? maybe dug up grass roots? not too good when it comes to lawns etc.

so reseeded and the rain the last couple days is probably good for it. been watering 2 times a day according to grass seed bag. been 9 days and still not coming up. it's cold here at night. 30's and then 50's and 60's.

did I try too soon? maybe should have waited until June?
20200512_111338_resized.jpg

·
Registered
818 Posts
yeah orangputeh, the weather is slowing down germination. Need soil above 50F, which usually means air temp above 60F for a few days. Also, the more I read about de-thatching lawns, it seems like it does more harm than good, ripping up good roots as you described.

tx

·
Registered
52 Posts
Great find. No rust on the handle bars of a 30-40 year old machine shows it was well taken care of. Good luck with the repairs.
Here is a link to the Toro two stage manual-

Well thanks Grunt I appreciate the link, it's in the kind of condition I was hoping to find and for $ 100 I can't complain too much. should be a fun project.

·
Registered
454 Posts
snow next tuesday . it's been so cold lately we have been having fires in the wood stove.
Well, not here in Penciltucky....getting up to 85* WHAT? I'll let you how many cold beer I drink after firing up the John Deere....TGIF

·
Registered
354 Posts
make sure to ad some support to the center to keep it from bulging out in the center. i have seen a lot of people make that mistake when building planters. the longer and taller they are the more likely you are to have issues with them bulging.
Thanks for the tip I'll cut a 2x4 stake and drive it into the ground on the inside at the midpoint.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Thanks for the tip I'll cut a 2x4 stake and drive it into the ground on the inside at the midpoint.
My dad always notched PT 2x4s into the side walls on the bottom edge of his raised beds about every 3-4 feet. The 2x4s ran from side-to-side across the short dimension between the long dimension walls and were well covered by the soil, of course. He had beds that were up to 16' long and were about 6-8' across.

·
Registered
52 Posts

My current blower is mechanically sound, and I replaced the worn parts. But it must have spent a bunch of time outside, and it shows. Which also led to a bunch of stuck fasteners twisting off, causing a lot of headaches.

The whole thing made me really appreciate a non-rusty machine. And it, of course, helps curb appeal and value, when it's time to sell.
I really lucked out when I found this one, I'm not sure I would even touch a machine that sat outside it's whole life it's just too much hassle, good to know you got yours sorted out.

·
Registered
354 Posts
My dad always notched PT 2x4s into the side walls on the bottom edge of his raised beds about every 3-4 feet. The 2x4s ran from side-to-side across the long dimension and were well covered by the soil, of course. He had beds that were up to 16' long and were about 6-8' across.
Thanks. That is another option, essentially like a tie back on a retaining wall.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I really lucked out when I found this one, I'm not sure I would even touch a machine that sat outside it's whole life it's just too much hassle, good to know you got yours sorted out.
if the price was right i and machine looked decent i would take a gamble on it even if it spent its entire life outside. i don't have space to keep my snowblower inside. it gets the next best and sits under my tire rack through the summer and on my side deck all winter. it is not so much about inside or outside but more so where does it sit when not in use.

topped up the fluids in the elcamino. nothing really too low but a few things needed to be topped up. also ended up moving a play set at my sisters place. while doing this also discovered some weak metal on the swing set side from it being used improperly so had to drag out the welder to patch it up and pray it holds together but won't hold my breath. if metal breaks next to a weld once it will usually do it again. also dropped off a trimmer for my nephew to use. i think he was happy. he fired it up and did some trimming around the house. if he takes good care of it may upgrade him to a nicer one when i happen to come accross one.

·
Premium Member
4,813 Posts

I learned the hardway about buying equipment that has lived it's life outside even if it seems to be a good deal. I bought a Honda HS928 for $500 . Great deal huh? Not really. Cables, bearings, augers/impeller rusted, axle rusted , handlebar clutches rusted , etc etc. Actually the parts weren't too expensive but the LABOR??? I'm glad I don't keep track of the hours or else I would have got discouraged on this unit.

Like you mentioned , the most annoying thing is trying to take it apart with rusted/corroded hardware. The cost of hardware adds up as well. It's a real shame that some people don't care of these machines. This 928 had low hours and that is why I bought it. But the outside life really negated this.

·
Premium Member
4,813 Posts
picked up a free Honda trimmer/ pretty clean. had a broken primer bulb so replaced that. almost starts but wont stay running. took plug out. good spark. carb is so small dont know how to clean. have no experience with these.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
picked up a free Honda trimmer/ pretty clean. had a broken primer bulb so replaced that. almost starts but wont stay running. took plug out. good spark. carb is so small dont know how to clean. have no experience with these.
check the metering diaphragm. that is usually the first place to start since they usually dry and fail when exposed to ethanol. since it acts as the float if it isn't working properly you won't get any fuel. if that is fine you may need to pull the mixture screws and try blowing out all the passages in the carb.

not much going on here today. been pretty overcast here but the temps have been nice. haven't wanted to chance doing anything outside just in case the weather decides to rain

·
Registered
52 Posts
I learned the hardway about buying equipment that has lived it's life outside even if it seems to be a good deal. I bought a Honda HS928 for $500 . Great deal huh? Not really. Cables, bearings, augers/impeller rusted, axle rusted , handlebar clutches rusted , etc etc. Actually the parts weren't too expensive but the LABOR??? I'm glad I don't keep track of the hours or else I would have got discouraged on this unit.

Like you mentioned , the most annoying thing is trying to take it apart with rusted/corroded hardware. The cost of hardware adds up as well. It's a real shame that some people don't care of these machines. This 928 had low hours and that is why I bought it. But the outside life really negated this.
Looks can be deceiving, many years ago I picked up an 86 CR 250R, the ad read well and it looked in great shape so I just gave the guy his asking price and brought it home, first clue was the shiny gold anodized aluminum pipe cover it hid a bunch of dents in the pipe, next was the skid pate which hid aluminum weld on the oil drain plug, fresh shiny paint didn't help but it sure sucked me in !

·
Premium Member
4,813 Posts
check the metering diaphragm. that is usually the first place to start since they usually dry and fail when exposed to ethanol. since it acts as the float if it isn't working properly you won't get any fuel. if that is fine you may need to pull the mixture screws and try blowing out all the passages in the carb.

not much going on here today. been pretty overcast here but the temps have been nice. haven't wanted to chance doing anything outside just in case the weather decides to rain
thanks. I bought a new carb and kit that included primer line, gaskets, extra bulbs etc. maybe I should have thrown the new carb on but i willtry your suggestions.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
thanks. I bought a new carb and kit that included primer line, gaskets, extra bulbs etc. maybe I should have thrown the new carb on but i willtry your suggestions.
well i think it depends on what that carb cost you. if the new carb was cheap enough it probably isn't worth messing with the old one. i usually try ordering the metering diaphrams and fuel line in bulk so most of the time i can usually get a machine going and only be into it about $5 or less since most cheap machines only go for about $200 new and about $50-100 used. i don't do too much dealings with honda's or commercial machines so i am not quite as familiar with cost to repair vs what they go for

15501 - 15520 of 15640 Posts