Snowblower Forum banner

15521 - 15540 of 15640 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,813 Posts
well i think it depends on what that carb cost you. if the new carb was cheap enough it probably isn't worth messing with the old one. i usually try ordering the metering diaphrams and fuel line in bulk so most of the time i can usually get a machine going and only be into it about $5 or less since most cheap machines only go for about $200 new and about $50-100 used. i don't do too much dealings with honda's or commercial machines so i am not quite as familiar with cost to repair vs what they go for
I just finished putting a new carb on and it started right up and ran fine. it was $17 for carb, primer ile, filter, extra bulbs , gaskets etc. these Honda UMC425 trimmers go from 329-389 and sell around here used for about 200.

i guess the guy ddint want to mess with it sohe just gave it to me.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
heck that is pretty good. turning $17 into $200 seems pretty good to me. a lot of the time people know they are usually not worth paying to have them repaired. you know that carb and fuel line would have been over $100 from honda plus labor to install which would have likely brought it close to $200 to repair. all the good machines i have got over the years came to me for free or cheap with carb issue.

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
Happy Victoria Day Canadians, enjoy the long weekend.

Finished garden bed. View attachment 167382
Great job on the garden bed.

Happy Victoria Day! Or is that May 2-4?

The May long weekend holiday (which takes place May 16 to 18 in 2020) is officially known as Victoria Day, after the long-reigning British monarch. But in recent years (decades?) Canadians began calling the weekend the May Two-Four weekend, after the copious amounts of beer that gets drunk on the first (fingers crossed) summery weekend of the year.

Check out link:

Kinnon Elliott Illustration and Design

·
Registered
354 Posts
Repaired a couple of sections of lawn that the crows dug up with some of the left over soil. May have to buy some nematodes to spray on the lawn for grub control.

Went to the garden center this afternoon to pick up some tomato and pepper plants and had a BBQ for supper.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Shopped today at a big box. The dryer problem seems to have gone away by itself. There must have been a nest of mice in there because it stank for awhile when I ran it. I popped open the top with a dull table knife, but found nothing out of the ordinary. IMG_0101.jpg

·
Registered
15 Posts
Not a snowblower but got a pretty nice freebie tonight. Lawn Boy edger from early 70s from what I can tell. Engine model # D462 serial #6034306. Can’t find another nameplate. Turns over freely and overall is in pretty good shape. 16:1 fuel mix. I don’t have any experience with these old Lawn Boys. Might have to join another forum. Wife said no more snowblowers (5 right now). Had to branch out and got her on a technicality. I

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Not a snowblower but got a pretty nice freebie tonight. Lawn Boy edger from early 70s from what I can tell. Engine model # D462 serial #6034306. Can’t find another nameplate. Turns over freely and overall is in pretty good shape. 16:1 fuel mix. I don’t have any experience with these old Lawn Boys. Might have to join another forum. Wife said no more snowblowers (5 right now). Had to branch out and got her on a technicality.
Hello Brent, nice find. There are a few very knowledgeable Lawn Boy collectors over on our sister site - mylawnmowerforum.com - that could help you.

·
Premium Member
4,813 Posts
Had to give a Honda owner some bad news today. One of the augers is broke at the auger tranny shaft area and the impeller is very bad. The rest of the machine is in poor condition. Found out that it was used commercially after the fact.

look at the sleeve welded onto the impeller shaft. it's so wobbly I am surprised the tranny gearbox did not crack.

Turning down repair work. The owner did not care. he gave me the machine for parts as he was happy with the other service I did on his better HS928.

Attachments

·
Registered
818 Posts
Well orangputeh: even you can't save all the Hondas. Hopefully you didn't spend much time or $$ to find out.

tx

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
This one can go live on a farm upstate, to play with the other Hondas whose buckets and augers were worn away due to never adjusting the skids, etc.

Kids, don't worry, every day they'll get a fluffy 4" of snow, and a new wax job, along with all the ethanol-free gas they can drink.

·
Premium Member
5,203 Posts
If you've ever tried to remove rusty wheels from a Troy Bilt Horse tiller you'll appreciate this. I figured it was high time I took my wheels off and cleaned/greased the axles. Ber in mind this is at least a 20 yr. old machine. ANYWAY, I knocked the pins out and jacked it up. The wheels literally slid right off. Thank God the PO had the presence of mind to see to these maintenance items. I cleaned the old grease off the axle shafts and inside the axle tubes on the wheels and applied a nice coating of Never Seize and re-installed the wheels. So grateful. This was yesterday. Today I'll pressure wash the whole machine and take care of the rest of the required maintenance items.

Attachments

·
Registered
818 Posts
If you've ever tried to remove rusty wheel from a Troy Bilt Horse tiller you'll appreciate this. I figured it was high time I took my wheels off and cleaned/greased the axles. Ber in mind this is at least a 20 yr. old machine. ANYWAY, I knocked the pins out and jacked it up. The wheels literally slid right off. Thank God the PO had the presence of mind to see to these maintenance items. I cleaned the old grease off the axle shafts and inside the axle tubes on the wheels and applied a nice coating of Never Seize and re-installed the wheels. So grateful. This was yesterday. Today I'll pressure wash the whole machine and take care of the rest of the required maintenance items.

Wow. On a tiller, in all that dust, very impressive that the grease lasted that long. You are very lucky indeed.

tx

15521 - 15540 of 15640 Posts