Snowblower Forum banner

15541 - 15560 of 15640 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,813 Posts
If you've ever tried to remove rusty wheel from a Troy Bilt Horse tiller you'll appreciate this. I figured it was high time I took my wheels off and cleaned/greased the axles. Ber in mind this is at least a 20 yr. old machine. ANYWAY, I knocked the pins out and jacked it up. The wheels literally slid right off. Thank God the PO had the presence of mind to see to these maintenance items. I cleaned the old grease off the axle shafts and inside the axle tubes on the wheels and applied a nice coating of Never Seize and re-installed the wheels. So grateful. This was yesterday. Today I'll pressure wash the whole machine and take care of the rest of the required maintenance items.
Unusual tofind a conscientious owner but very nice. That is why I charge less on a service if the person hadme service it the last time.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
That's great that they just came off! It's impressive, but also frustrating, to see how much easier something like that can be, with some preparation. Greasing a shaft, anti-seize on weather-exposed bolts, etc etc, can make the difference between breaking stuff and fighting the aftermath, to just removing something in 2 minutes and moving on.

I now try to treat any stuff that I remove which may be at risk for these problems. I got it off once, but I may not be that lucky the next time, which may be several years down the road.

·
Premium Member
5,203 Posts
Wow. On a tiller, in all that dust, very impressive that the grease lasted that long. You are very lucky indeed.

tx
To be honest, Paul, I think the previous owner must have greased the axles or had someone do it for him. Another thing... This tiller has the original tines on it and it has to be 20 yrs old because it's a real Troy Bilt, not an MTD so it couldn't t have been used much. Tines not worn much. And finally, it has covers (caps) in the wheels and they are probably responsible for much of the good condition of the axles and wheels.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
but aren't rototiller's generally used in dry dirt? you don't usually see people operating them when gardens are muddy. between that and being stored properly i doubt the axles would see much moisture.

i got a bit too much sun today but got some work done. replaced the 1 lower balljoint on the elcamino. the castle nut was loose on the 1 side and i couldn't tighten it. things went pretty smooth but i have a feeling that had something to do with having the proper tools to do the job lol. then went on to change my moms tires for her since i had everything out anyways. it is now warm enough out that she needed to get the winters off and summer put back on.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Today I did something stupid!!! I decided to re-stain my civic property post at the end of the driveway.

That wasn't the stupid part...
When I bent over to pickup my 3/4 full gallon of stain to go do the other one my cell phone slide out of my shirt pocket and you got it, right to the bottom of the can of stain. I quickly dove in and retrieved it swung it around several times to get the most of it off. Turned it off and ran to my work shop where I wiped it clean then sprayed it with alcohol ( Brake cleaner ) Blew it dry, waited 1/2 hour. Turned it on and it works fine. Took the top picture with it.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
My phone is my camera. So can't take a picture of itself. Everything works so far , even the charge port. I got lucky and moved on the cleaning process immediately after it took the plunge.

·
Premium Member
4,813 Posts
got a free 928 a little while ago cause the motor was blown. so checked a couple gx270's I had in storage to see which one had better compression. cleaned carb and threw it on chassis to see if drive was smooth. the drive is good and smooth so installed a zerk in right side tranny and pumped in new grease.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
...my cell phone slide out of my shirt pocket and you got it, right to the bottom of the can of stain...
After having the shirt pocket phone ejection issue a few times, I started wearing Carhartt pants with a cellphone sized pocket on the right leg and a smaller pocket for my reading glasses case on the left leg. Problem solved, for now anyway!

·
Registered
818 Posts
tabora: I love my Carhartt double front pants with those pockets. I have never had my cell phone fall out. Little pleasures in life !!

tx

·
Premium Member
4,813 Posts
tried to help a friend reinstall 2mounting bolts on a ac compressor for a 2007 ford f250 .what a PIA. couldnt line up holes properly. did some home work after the fact .may have to jack engine to get the right angle.

sounds typical of automakers nowadays. they don't want anyone to work on theirvehicles anymore.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
did some work on the dart today. dad managed to get it over to the car wash and back on the old bad gas. we ended up draining about 7 gallons of old gas out of the tank and then put 6 gallons of fresh e-free 91 gas straight from the gas station. the carb still need work. it is still running rich when idling but seems to run pretty good once it gets moving. the worst part is there doesn't seem to be any idle mixture screw on this carb. it has a C.A.P. carter bbs carb which seem to not have an adjustment screw.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
And on the seventh day!!! Wife may not see you but HE will. I try to never work on Sunday, seems like something always bites me when I do. I remember my mom 50 years ago telling my dad not to go sow the barley on Sunday. But it was a nice day and they were announcing rain for the next few days. Dad went anyway, he wished he hadn't, coincidence or not he had a miserable day with multiple breakdowns and to make things worse the crop never made out of the ground and he had to re-sow the whole field. He never ever worked on Sunday again or Friday the 13th for that matter. lol

Warming up nicely.

·
Registered
818 Posts
but isn't the 7th day of the week actually Saturday?

15541 - 15560 of 15640 Posts