Snowblower Forum banner

15681 - 15700 of 15747 Posts

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
lazy day here. slept in because too wore out from last 2 days of helping a friend take down some trees. i always push myself when taking down trees. always feel strong till about 1-2 and then slowly go down from there.

hey Coby any advise on a aftermarket key fob that seems to have very poor range most of the time and batteries were just changed hoping it would help. my spare key fob that i never use still work perfectly. the main one that i use pretty much has to almost be touching the antenna for the receiver to pick up the signal most of the time. sometimes it will work from a distance but most time doesn't. they are nahas2501 remotes. trying to avoid having to replace it unless i have to since it sucks to program a new one since my vehicle isn't wired to flash a new remote. it is just wired to control the doors only. the remote start stuff hasn't been hooked up since you can't really remote start a carbed engine.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
It's been a while since I've checked in so it's time for a short update. We finally sold our farmhouse and barn in Pennsylvania so I'm no longer making a weekly 5 hour round-trip trek to mow the 9 acre lawn. We kept the remaining 55 acres and leased it to local farmer to make hay so I no longer need to brush hog. It was a tough decision as this was my childhood home but old age is catching up. The house was in great shape but a 1916 six-bedroom house, 8 stall garage and barn requires a lot of maintenance.

Back in Ohio, I re-evaluated our lawn care which takes 7+ hours (mowing, trimming, edging). So, after considerable overthinking, I finally purchased a Scag zero-turn and cut my lawn care time to just 3 hours! A zero turn mower is a game changer and I should have made the leap years ago.

Since I'm retired, I'm not exactly sure what I'll do with an extra four hours every week....maybe I should jump back into refurbishing the pile of snow blowers in the barn.....just sayin' scag1.jpg Scag3.jpg scag4.jpg scag5.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,895 Posts
It's been a while since I've checked in so it's time for a short update. We finally sold our farmhouse and barn in Pennsylvania so I'm no longer making a weekly 5 hour round-trip trek to mow the 9 acre lawn. We kept the remaining 55 acres and leased it to local farmer to make hay so I no longer need to brush hog. It was a tough decision as this was my childhood home but old age is catching up. The house was in great shape but a 1916 six-bedroom house, 8 stall garage and barn requires a lot of maintenance.

Back in Ohio, I re-evaluated our lawn care which takes 7+ hours (mowing, trimming, edging). So, after considerable overthinking, I finally purchased a Scag zero-turn and cut my lawn care time to just 3 hours! A zero turn mower is a game changer and I should have made the leap years ago.

Since I'm retired, I'm not exactly sure what I'll do with an extra four hours every week....maybe I should jump back into refurbishing the pile of snow blowers in the barn.....just sayin' View attachment 167640 View attachment 167641 View attachment 167642 View attachment 167643
Haha
When I was younger I used to care take a cemetery. We only had walk behind B&S mowers. It was great exercise plus I got paid about 4-5 dollars an hour . I loved that job. Cutting grass all summer and raking leaves in fall ( Massachusetts )

It was about 10-20 hours a week. I just worked how much I wanted as long as the work got done. That was 40 years ago. probably couldnt do it now.

·
Premium Member
4,895 Posts
broke my made in china vise from costco. at least i'll get my money back with no hassle. we return about half the stuff we buy from Costco, electric blankets , coffee makers, anything electric. motion lights lasted about a year .

when am I gonna learn? I heard they would cancel your membership if you return too much. I returned a $1000 wood stove that was damaged in shipping and asked them about that, they said I didnt have anything to worry about since been a member for 25 years and spend a boat load of money there.

we love the guarantees but wasting time buying the junk from there. that's why I like going to garage yard sales and buying old 30-40-50 year stuff made in the USA.

whatever happened? yes I know. no need to educate us.

Attachments

·
Registered
370 Posts
Came across this today. The mower is long gone IMG_20200620_134316.jpg

It had a page of ads for other OMC products such as the Sno-cruiser snowmobile. The neat one was a product called the Scuboy.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
about the only thing i did today was trim some bushes at my sisters place the a edger. i was actually pretty surprised how good and quick it cut through things and i was even able to get things very straight. give it a few more weeks to see how the bush does and then going to try taking a few feet off the top. been wanting to get this bush under control for a while but it is just such a pain because of the slopes. it shouldn't be as much of an issue with the edger attachment on my trimmer

·
Premium Member
4,895 Posts
stayed away from phone. too many kids. i did get a ton of packages. chocolate cookies, chocolates, devil dogs , cake......all delivered by UPS and FED-EX.

i think the kids are trying to kill me off.....

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Happy belated Father's Day everyone!

I worked on my "new" tractor, got the engine oil and filter changed. Then while doing the same for the tranny, discovered that its new (aftermarket) oil filter didn't fit for some reason. Got the OEM filter on order.

Also bought a used set of X-Tracs locally. So I'll get to try out my unopened HF Mini Tire Changer, and this winter I'll get to try X-Tracs.

Of course, if they don't have enough grip, my existing chains won't fit them. So I'd have to decide whether to commit further, buying X-Trac-compatible chains, or go back to my Snow Hogs and chains.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
...The neat one was a product called the Scuboy.
I have a very similar unit that has a small Honda GX engine to run the compressor. I have both the standard SCUBA mouth regulators and a pair of clear diving helmets for it. It's cool being able to walk around on the bottom and have the unit float on the surface and follow along.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
That does sound pretty cool, I had no idea such things existed. I'd have thought liability would mean you could never make something like that today, but maybe that's not true.

We've done tourist SCUBA a few times, down in Mexico, etc. That is a really cool experience. But it got a little unnerving one time when we were kind of out in a bay, and we surfaced, but were waiting for the boat to come back. You're bobbing along, with the little waves trying to get you in the face, it felt kind of unsettling, vs being underwater. I was glad when the boat arrived.

I think the two dives that day were about 25 minutes each, that turned out to be about enough for me :)

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
...We've done tourist SCUBA a few times, down in Mexico, etc...
I did a lot of SCUBA in golf course ponds fetching golf balls when I was in junior high school. I've been a lifelong snorkeling enthusiast and have done open water in Bermuda, Jamaica & Belize in addition to extensive freshwater snorkeling in lakes, rivers & quarries in Maine and the rest of the northeast US. I first tried SNUBA diving (surface compressor, regulator on a hose and snorkeling gear) in Maui about 20 years ago. And then about 15 years ago tried the helmet bottom-walking in St. Thomas. After those very positive experiences, I started acquiring my own hookah rig with the little Honda 4HP GX.

·
Registered
947 Posts
The wife's Toyota needed a recall fix so I brought it and my bike to the dealer this morning. Rode 14 miles back home and then later in the day rode 14 more back to the dealer to pick up the car. Considering that it was 90 degrees and I am 50/260lb, I feel that something important was achieved today (plus the car was fixed).

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Unless you are biking consistently, you are setting yourself up for a heart attack, but since you are still living to talk about it, congratulations.

·
Registered
264 Posts
i did so much, it is hard to recall it all, went to fil's to bring up some stuff, the back to load a car cut up a ton of cardboard,carried some furniture down at my house for the trash man etc etc etc

·
Registered
947 Posts
Unless you are biking consistently, you are setting yourself up for a heart attack, but since you are still living to talk about it, congratulations.
I bike every other day, but never as much as done yesterday. I take it slow but I know what you mean!

15681 - 15700 of 15747 Posts