Snowblower Forum banner

15721 - 15740 of 15796 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
9,900 Posts
Well, we got moisture !! It dumped around 8-9 inches the night before and then more last night. Flood warnings everywhere.

·
Registered
751 Posts
The retired electrician came by yesterday and installed a new dryer receptacle. Joe the electrician is 79 years old and doesn't have to work, but just likes getting out and keeping busy. He has a knee replacement, but he still gets up and goes! He has changed every receptacle and wall switch in the house so far, added some outlets and hung two outdoor lights. Yesterday, I gave him a Milwaukee right angle drill (that I have used twice in 10 years) so he didn't charge me for the dryer receptacle work.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Wow, K4aF, that is a ton of rain! It has been very very dry here. Sunday we finally got a bunch of rain, some more yesterday, and it looks like it will continue for a few days. I don't know how much we got in town, unfortunately. But we could definitely use it.

I'm trying to find a used mini tiller, something to help chew up the buried (existing) grass in the yard areas where I'm adding dirt, and to mix up the soil. I'm currently leaning towards a 2-stroke Mantis, vs a Craftsman, etc. They have a reputation for being built well, and I like the idea that you can flip the tines around for just kind of loosening up the surface, vs digging deeper. It seems like that might be good if re-seeding a thin area, for instance.

You can get a small rear-tine tiller for not too much more, and I'm sure that's a much more capable machine, but it seems like overkill for me. And it would require a bunch more storage space, which is always in short supply.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Guy called me up to asked if I'd look at his 2006 Buick Alure odometer display that wasn't working. Told him it wasn't in the list of the clusters I have parts for but that I was willing to have a look. Took the back cover off and it immediately jumped at me like it was waving a red flag. So Re-did this obvious broken solder joint asked him for nothing. He insisted I take $20 even though it only took me a minute.

Broken solder will do it every time...

He just sent me a picture of the cluster in the car and a 10Q which I assume means Thank You in cell phone jargon. An other happy customer...

·
Premium Member
4,932 Posts
Guy called me up to asked if I'd look at his 2006 Buick Alure odometer display that wasn't working. Told him it wasn't in the list of the clusters I have parts for but that I was willing to have a look. Took the back cover off and it immediately jumped at me like it was waving a red flag. So Re-did this obvious broken solder joint asked him for nothing. He insisted I take $20 even though it only took me a minute.

View attachment 167706

Broken solder will do it every time...

He just sent me a picture of the cluster in the car and a 10Q which I assume means Thank You in cell phone jargon. An other happy customer...

View attachment 167707

·
Registered
34 Posts
All your Canadian friends are wearing wet suits for the forseable future, bloody rain has not let up for a month and more to come, just have to say thanks that it is not snow, Yu all have a good one.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
All your Canadian friends are wearing wet suits for the forseable future, bloody rain has not let up for a month and more to come, just have to say thanks that it is not snow, Yu all have a good one.
And here we are hoping for rain. It is so dry that even the weeds are dying.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Coby7, you is living on the wrong coast??
Don't think so, I'd rather have 30 sunny 30° days and water the garden than 30 days of depressing rain. We are suppose to get possibly some rain and thunder boom-boom tonight. We need at least and inch of rain to top up the reservoirs and wells.

·
Premium Member
4,932 Posts
we need rain once a week to keep wildfire risk down. it's a real fear around here. I installed a roof sprinkler on the roof and they have inspectors coming around and making sure you have defensible space.

last year I failed my 1st inspection. too much stuff within 30 feet of house, branches too low on trees, firewood to close to house etc. they gave me 30 days or else $700 fine. 2nd fine would be $1500 and so on.

so I worked my you know what off , took before and after pictures , and it took 27 days working several hours a day to clean it up.

inspector came and we passed with flying colors. she gave me a certificate to show the insurance company in case they cancel our homeowners insurance which they have been doing around here.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I found the cause of the terrible smell when running the dryer. After having a technician come in and disassemble the dryer, he found nothing. When he left, I noticed that the 220 Volt plug was loose. The dryer would not turn on until I unplugged it and plugged it in again. Joe the electrician replaced the 30A receptacle and sure enough, it had been arcing enough to burn the bakelite (or whatever that material was in 1964). It fell apart when he took the cover off. You can see that one of the hot sides is mostly intact as is the ground in the middle.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,932 Posts
the neighborhood is emptying out as people go to the lakes, campgrounds etc.

great for me.

Beatles real loud in garage

made this in 20 minutes for my new Tekton mini pliers. 2X6 , a little sanding , burning , holes drilled and clean cover. curious squirrel is always around checking out what I'm doing.

Attachments

15721 - 15740 of 15796 Posts