Snowblower Forum banner

15781 - 15795 of 15795 Posts

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Finally got around to looking at the 10 HP Yard Machine blower that followed me home from the transfer station.

Engine was froze, would not turn over. I cleaned out all the mice nests from the shroud and the belt cover, pulled the plug, sprayed in some Trizol (weasel piss) into the cylinder, then took a pipe wrench on the pully shaft and lightly worked it just a couple times, and it freed right up, pulled the cord and good compression ….. needless to say it had no gas or oil in it. I gave it some fresh 5W30 oil, gave it a shot of ether, and it farted right up. Put in some of my fresh conditioned gas, and one pull got it running just fine.

Impeller and auger work great, all the belts in great shape. Gears work fine, but needs a slight adjustment on the drive, as rev 1 wants to travel slightly forward, and rev 2 works like rev 1 should. Forward gears all work fine, but just a tad off in speed.

Amazing what people discard … they would much rather toss and buy new, or just don't have the know how to get them running again.

This is getting out of control, lol, I have 8 now, giving my brother one for his daughter in law and selling one to my neighbor. I need the space back in my garage.:):D

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
some people just can't be bothered with stuff like that. most shops likely won't even touch it or just says it needs a new engine which will likely cost more than the machine especially after labor.

been raining for most of the day. had pretty good thunder storms yesterday. got some much needed rain. i did at least go to the store today. mainly just needed water. last time i was in the store they were sold out of the stuff i normally get plus the place i got it at today had a limit of 4 so i should hopefully be stocked of for a while.

·
Premium Member
4,932 Posts
Finally got around to looking at the 10 HP Yard Machine blower that followed me home from the transfer station.

Engine was froze, would not turn over. I cleaned out all the mice nests from the shroud and the belt cover, pulled the plug, sprayed in some Trizol (weasel piss) into the cylinder, then took a pipe wrench on the pully shaft and lightly worked it just a couple times, and it freed right up, pulled the cord and good compression ….. needless to say it had no gas or oil in it. I gave it some fresh 5W30 oil, gave it a shot of ether, and it farted right up. Put in some of my fresh conditioned gas, and one pull got it running just fine.

Impeller and auger work great, all the belts in great shape. Gears work fine, but needs a slight adjustment on the drive, as rev 1 wants to travel slightly forward, and rev 2 works like rev 1 should. Forward gears all work fine, but just a tad off in speed.

Amazing what people discard … they would much rather toss and buy new, or just don't have the know how to get them running again.

This is getting out of control, lol, I have 8 now, giving my brother one for his daughter in law and selling one to my neighbor. I need the space back in my garage.:):D
have a picture? I love these stories. wish they would let me take machines from the dump. it's heartbreaking.

·
Registered
373 Posts
2016. It's the 4 cylinder model. Gave it a coat of nu finish and cleaned the interior. Other than that not too much else today aside from weeding one of the the flower beds. Kind of a lazy day.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
oneacer, nice save on the free blower! I kinda wish I could rescue equipment like that. But it's probably better that I can't, lest I build a collection :) It would be nice for the occasional machine, though.

I had been looking for a mini tiller, and picked up a used Mantis on Saturday. Not pretty or perfect (missing 2 tines teeth), but for $50, I'm happy. Others around here are $175-200 at the moment. Demand seems to be exceeding supply.

Compression is good (130 psi), and we got it to idle at the guy's house, but it died when you gave it throttle. Tweaking when I got it home got it running ok at speed, but it wouldn't idle well. Yesterday I took the carb apart and ran it through the ultrasonic cleaner, then gave it fresh gas, and re-tuned it from scratch. It seems to be running nicely now. But hopefully that's still true when the engine is cold. It's older, the carb is fully adjustable, so I have it running somewhat rich, to be safe. I stuck a tach on it for now, to help with tuning.

In some quick tests Saturday, I was impressed. Even with the tines in the more aggressive tilling orientation (digging in), it chewed through the fresh dirt, and the existing grass that was buried underneath. I didn't know if it would manage that, with established grass.

Pretty cool, IMO. Once I get the yard areas filled in some more, I should be able to really try it out. Or maybe I'll chew them up as-is, before I make the new-dirt layer deeper. I want to make sure I can mix up the grass that's buried under it.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Here is the photo of the 10HP Yard Machine blower, just have to freshen up the paint.

Also, here is my 25.00 Ariens tiller … waiting on the electronic ignition, then once its running, I'll go through the seals on the tines, straighten out the tine cover, and give it a fresh coat of paint.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
my only real dislike about those blowers is the skids. those machines really need the longer steel skids like on the nicer machines to keep the bucket from getting damaged. otherwise they have used the same style bucket for a while

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Yeah, after I straighten the bucket edge, where it looked like someone kept slamming into curbs, and paint it, I think ill put on the long poly skids.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
My old kei truck was getting very long in the tooth, found a new one:

Suzuki Carry. 2004, DA63T. Only 14k miles and very well kept by the previous owner. Here pictured after fresh 'shaken' inspection and a quick trip to my long-time bodyshop to get a couple of niggles knocked out.
They've come a long way, much nicer to drive than my old '90.

Snow related: It came with an Aiba Works snow plow in near mint condition.

Hope everyone's staying smart, safe and healthy. 🍻

·
Registered
93 Posts
oneacer, nice save on the free blower! I kinda wish I could rescue equipment like that. But it's probably better that I can't, lest I build a collection :) It would be nice for the occasional machine, though.

I had been looking for a mini tiller, and picked up a used Mantis on Saturday. Not pretty or perfect (missing 2 tines teeth), but for $50, I'm happy. Others around here are $175-200 at the moment. Demand seems to be exceeding supply.

Compression is good (130 psi), and we got it to idle at the guy's house, but it died when you gave it throttle. Tweaking when I got it home got it running ok at speed, but it wouldn't idle well. Yesterday I took the carb apart and ran it through the ultrasonic cleaner, then gave it fresh gas, and re-tuned it from scratch. It seems to be running nicely now. But hopefully that's still true when the engine is cold. It's older, the carb is fully adjustable, so I have it running somewhat rich, to be safe. I stuck a tach on it for now, to help with tuning.

In some quick tests Saturday, I was impressed. Even with the tines in the more aggressive tilling orientation (digging in), it chewed through the fresh dirt, and the existing grass that was buried underneath. I didn't know if it would manage that, with established grass.

Pretty cool, IMO. Once I get the yard areas filled in some more, I should be able to really try it out. Or maybe I'll chew them up as-is, before I make the new-dirt layer deeper. I want to make sure I can mix up the grass that's buried under it.
I sold my FG100 for $150 last week. The buyers said they,too, were having an awful time finding a mini-tiller.

IMG_02001.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Nice, around here that would be $200+, from what I've seen. Little tillers are in short supply. And anything that says Honda gets a higher price.

It hasn't been much use yet, but I'm impressed so far. I even tried letting it dig at the edge of kind of a little sinkhole in the yard. It did fine, and chewed that stuff up, dropping it in the hole.

A coworker recently dug a long trench through his yard, about a foot deep. If this had been available at the time, he could have used it to loosen all that soil, I'll bet it would have made the job easier. It's interesting to realize the other things they might help with.

I ran it again last night, and found that I needed to re-tune the carb. And I have a gas leak when I tip it forward on its nose. Maybe the black rubber plug in the tank (where the lines come out) is leaking, I'm not sure.

I'll try again with the engine cold and see if yesterday's tune "stuck", or if it's changed again. May need to rebuild the carb. But if I need to replace the plug, fuel lines, etc, I might try the <$15 Amazon kit that also includes the carb. If that carb worked, great, and I'd keep the original if it was needed in the future.

15781 - 15795 of 15795 Posts