Snowblower Forum banner

15861 - 15880 of 15969 Posts

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Wow, it's looking fantastic, nice work! It's going to look new.

I went through the last items on mine. Checked the spark arrestor screen, it looked good. Topped off the gearbox grease, and I think it's ready to go, I'm just waiting on the carb rebuild parts. This engine is showing 180 psi of compression, vs the 130 that I measured on the first one, so that's nice. I also mounted a tachometer, for engine-tuning purposes.

Cut the grass Saturday, and replaced my garage door springs, after 1 broke. Working on buying some cheap used ATV tires. If they'll fit my tractor (they're a little bigger than stock), they would offer more traction than the stock turf tires.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Oneacer, great job on the restoration, that tiller looks killer :cool:.
What orange paint did you use, from the photos it looks like a good match to the original Ariens orange?

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Today I programmed a third FOB to my Buick just because people on Encore forum said you had to go to a locksmith or the dealer. Well you don't, it works great and I stayed home to do it. It always feels great to win an argument and to go to bed smarter.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
It's going great! Will you have the heart to get it dirty, once it's done? :)

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
:) ... I actually don't even have a garden ... I used my neighbors Toro Front tine tiller doing some work for another neighbor, tilling up a mound of top soil and spreading it around their yard filling holes for sowing new grass. I enjoyed using his tiller, so decided to pick one up for myself. I did not want a new one, and came across this old Ariens. I really enjoy working on the older machines, especially Ariens, as I find them to be solidly well built, nicely designed and easy to work on.

It will probably only see occasional use on my yard, preparing areas for new grass seed.

But who knows, maybe I'll start tilling gardens for people, as I have a nice low aluminum trailer I have had now for like 30 years. I used to snow blow driveways with my wife years ago. .... :D;):)

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Cool! I got my little tiller for yard work, like stirring up the existing dirt, or maybe loosening the surface before seeding. No gardening. It seems like it will be a handy little tool, and I can lend it to people too, it's not something that will be used every day.

It's gotten me wondering about other uses too. Like last year a truck packed down some tracks through the yard. I was going to add dirt there to fill in the depressions. But I realized it's really just packed down, maybe I'll try tilling it, perhaps that would kind of fluff it up again. I think I heard that over-packed dirt isn't ideal anyhow, so it would probably help with that aspect, at least.

Nice trailer! An aluminum trailer would be an investment, but should hold up better over time, and presumably leaves more towing capacity for your cargo, vs burning through it with the trailer itself.

The carb rebuild kit arrived yesterday for my Mantis. I figured I'd see what I could learn, so I installed just the metering diaphragm, to see what that did. It fired right up, and actually stayed running, which was cool.

But I had a heck of a time tuning it, and it kept changing. Rev it up, adjust the high needle, running great. Let it idle for 10 seconds, then rev it up again, now it's running differently.

Took it apart again, installed the other gaskets/sheets, sprayed out the adjustment screw holes with carb cleaner, and also checked the height of the metering lever. It was sitting too-low. Maybe that has something to do with it? So I bent the lever slightly to get the height in the correct range (I hope it's not too high, it's basically flush with the body now), I'll hopefully get to try it later today.

Hopefully I'll learn something during the process. I can swap to the OEM carb from the other machine, if I wanted. Or worst case, buy an aftermarket carb. But I'd like to figure this out, since that would help me better understand future problems.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
not too much going on here today. pretty much got 2 snowblowers 90% finished up. left is before and right is after. swapped control panels with the snowblower i am hoping my nephew will use this winter. i got a 8/24" for him and it is nice to have the deflector control. also did the impeller mod on the 8/24". since i had the 8/24 apart for the impeller mod figure it is as good as any time to swap the control panel and make it something i would want to use. really about the only thing left to do to these things is a oil change. i was thinking about doing the impeller mod on the 10.5/29" but didn't feel motivated. maybe another day. not much to it.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I actually don't even have a garden ... I used my neighbors Toro Front tine tiller doing some work for another neighbor, tilling up a mound of top soil and spreading it around their yard filling holes for sowing new grass. I enjoyed using his tiller, so decided to pick one up for myself.
Nice job, that thing sure is pretty. 👍
Neither do I, Yet...Somehow I ended up with 3 tillers that I never purchased. One was an vertical shaft front tine tiller called the Rocket made by some obscure manufacturer in Arkansas. Found that curb picking on trash day, had an old 3hp Briggs vertical with an iron flywheel. Started right up. Another was an Ariens Rocket 5 rear tine that came in a package deal with some other rare Ariens early (1974ish) 924000 attachments and tractor. Started right up after i cleaned the carby, but i have nothing to use it on.
Then there is my personal favorite, the 932000 16" tiller attachment that I have installed on a 932017. The seventeen is the model with the Briggs and Stratton electric motor with the deadman trigger., It's just such a joy to use. No gas, no linkages, no transmission. It always starts and you don't need ear protection. I use it to turn the big compost pile or to flatten and reseed uneven turf. Then I put the 2 stage bucket on for winter, use it as a backyard blower. There is only one downside, it helps to be within 100 feet of a 120v outlet.😃

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
not too much going on here today. pretty much got 2 snowblowers 90% finished up.
Cool, glad they're coming along!

Then there is my personal favorite, the 932000 16" tiller attachment that I have installed on a 932017. The seventeen is the model with the Briggs and Stratton electric motor with the deadman trigger., It's just such a joy to use. No gas, no linkages, no transmission. It always starts and you don't need ear protection.
Wow, that sounds pretty cool! Got any pics? Or even video? Being tethered by a cord isn't always ideal, but there are advantages, as you alluded to. Plug & play can be great.

At the other end of that spectrum is my tiller experience today :) I reinstalled the carb that I worked on last night, I got one "pop" out of the machine, on the first or second pull, and that was it. Lots of pulling, but no more action. Fiddled with the carb screws, even poured a bit of gas into the intake, nothing. But thinking maybe it was too-rich, it was dripping some gas/oil from the muffler.

Opened it up again tonight, bent the flow metering lever down a bit. Re-set the needles. This time I was getting pops, but it wouldn't really start. Finally squeezed the throttle and pulled, and it fired up. That let me then dial in the needles. But it's still running somewhat inconsistently. When it was running, I saw gas dripping from the black tank plug where the fuel lines come out. I'll try replacing that stuff, I have a set available. Maybe it's pulling air in or something, the fuel line feels hard.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
the only crappy part is when i got home i found out i had the proper oil so i could have done the oil changes today but didn't. i thought i had 10w30 which is ok for snowblowers but i wanted 5w30 for them which is what i had at home. oh well. i guess i will do it another day. sounds like i may have to take my niece for a bike ride now that she is finally starting to use the new bike she was given so could always do a oil change before or after the bike ride since i store some snowblowers at my sisters place. just have to make sure to bring the oil.

·
Registered
370 Posts

Wow, that sounds pretty cool! Got any pics? Or even video? Being tethered by a cord isn't always ideal, but there are advantages, as you alluded to. Plug & play can be great.
I have this one from the PO (this is my backup unit, I have two)

The decal on the motor cowl says Briggs and Stratton (in the white) Electric (in the red) Motor (in the black)

·
Premium Member
5,010 Posts
the only crappy part is when i got home i found out i had the proper oil so i could have done the oil changes today but didn't. i thought i had 10w30 which is ok for snowblowers but i wanted 5w30 for them which is what i had at home. oh well. i guess i will do it another day. sounds like i may have to take my niece for a bike ride now that she is finally starting to use the new bike she was given so could always do a oil change before or after the bike ride since i store some snowblowers at my sisters place. just have to make sure to bring the oil.
View attachment 167931
using sunflower oil? sorry first thing that popped into my addled brain when I saw this pic

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
using sunflower oil? sorry first thing that popped into my addled brain when I saw this pic
lol no. I just thought to throwthe picture in after lol. That is one of the larger sunflowers we had pop up. Just wish they had grown taller

15861 - 15880 of 15969 Posts