Snowblower Forum banner

16181 - 16200 of 16366 Posts

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
did some welding at my sisters place. have 1 snowblower left to weld up over there but just didn't have the motivation to drag it out and tear it apart just so i could weld it up. the weather was pretty crappy out even tho it didn't rain it sure looked like it was going to. also had the ignition switch on the elcamino fail. luckily enough it failed in a way i was able to work with. it will turn to the run position but will not rotate into the start position so i got to manually bump the starter. luckily my neighbor is a lock smith and had the special too to make removing the steering lock plate easier. i might have been able to get it apart but getting it back together would been impossible. hoping the parts store has some new cylinders in stock. want to get my neighbor his tool back ASAP. sounds like someone else want him to do something similar with a old suburban whenever he has some time.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I picked this one for free this weekend, MTD 5/22 snowblower, looks barely used.
i would say sell it while it is still working and buy something else to keep at the property you maintain. those are the single speed junkers with the transmissions that commonly go bad and cost about $200+ to replace.

·
Premium Member
5,214 Posts
I picked this one for free this weekend, MTD 5/22 snowblower, looks barely used. I checked it over, added some fresh gas, and it fired right up and ran well. I changed oil (which looked fine), cleaned and gapped the spark plug, and lubed a few areas. I know this is an inexpensive machine, but geez, how cheap can it get? The plastic impeller is kind of held there with a pin, and already makes noise. The plastic chute snaps into place over more plastic. The handlebars bend a little when pressing down on them. I am not sure how the transmission works (it is only a 1-speed, so it can't be more than a set of gears). I will be interested to see if it can throw any snow. If it works at all, I've got a neighbor drive that I usually clear that I can leave it there. We'll see.

tx

View attachment 168533 View attachment 168534 View attachment 168535 View attachment 168536
ya. give it away.I give these MTD's away for free. wouldn't wanna sell and ruin my hard earned reputation. as long as the person you give it to knows it is a plastic type machine. no high expectations.

·
Super Moderator
6,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #16,184
Good to see you, hope you and your mom are doing well.
hope you and the family are doing well mom's doing great and i've finally recovered from my broken foot

·
Registered
880 Posts
i would say sell it while it is still working and buy something else to keep at the property you maintain. those are the single speed junkers with the transmissions that commonly go bad and cost about $200+ to replace.
I think I would actually feel guilty selling such a cheaply-made machine.

tx

·
Registered
880 Posts
ya. give it away.I give these MTD's away for free. wouldn't wanna sell and ruin my hard earned reputation. as long as the person you give it to knows it is a plastic type machine. no high expectations.
I was thinking of painting it NE Patriot colors.

tx

Reactions: orangputeh

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I think I would actually feel guilty selling such a cheaply-made machine.

tx
could always sell it cheap. what does a winter engine go for? $100? i know it is usually a brass gear in the transmission that fails but i don't know what causes it to fail. could last a month or could last another 5 years. never really know. my sisters neighbor has one that i am suppose to fix before winter gets here. luckily it needs a pull start and carb cleaning.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I am so off my guess. It's on the other side of the country. What a beautiful place that is.

I had planned a road trip to Maine and Acadia NP this summer. All that changed due to Covid-19. Do you recommend checking out this island?

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Do you ferry out or boat there? Could you live there year round? Looks peaceful with a low crime rate.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Wow ... even my little 521 Bolens has a gear box with like 5 gears and reverse, first one I seen with a gear box like the rider mowers. ... all steel ... They sure don't make them like they used to.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Do you ferry out or boat there? Could you live there year round? Looks peaceful with a low crime rate.
These days we usually take the ferry. We used to take our 19' Celebrity or 14' Seadoo Speedster back and forth all the time from Rockland. My record crossing in the Seadoo was about 15 minutes on a dead calm August morning. We have a Carver flybridge cruiser that we used to travel up in from the marina in South Portland, but it's a long trip and burns about 105 gallons of fuel each way.

Well over a thousand people live there year round, but our cabin is 3 season only. Gets a bit nippy in the winter.
Though, ahhh, from your map, I think that "lake" is the Atlantic? :)
Ayuh! Was just tugging on @aa335's leg a skosh.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
105 gallons each way? Man, I am too cheap to own a boat :) That must be a lot of fun, though!

·
Registered
160 Posts
105 gallons each way, thats what mine drinks in a hour if i hound dog the kittens to 2300 rpm.drop to 16 or 1700 maybe 70

16181 - 16200 of 16366 Posts