Snowblower Forum banner

16481 - 16500 of 16689 Posts

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
sounds like might have just been operator error. it does seem to happen a lot. i bought a snowblower off someone and they said it was hard to start. i start it the same way i start all my other equipment and it starts first pull every time.

messed with the stihl chainsaw. it had a clogged filter screen and the arm that connects to the needle seemed like it might have been bent down. also discovered the kill switch spring is partially broke. otherwise it seems like it runs pretty good. might just need a new chain. got the old one soaking in vinegar. it is not super rusty. really just seems like it has been stored in a damp location. it might free up if i can get some of the rust broke free or liquid of some sort into the links.

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
orangputeh, not restarting when the engine is hot (if that's what you're describing) sounds like the failing coil I had on my tractor last year.

If restarted immediately, it was fine. But keep it shut down for 5 minutes, and enough heat would soak into the coil that you'd lose spark. And you had to let it cool for 20 minutes before it would start again.

·
Super Moderator
toro 928 ohxe 38801,
446 Posts
how can it be warmer in canada than in new jersey
47.3 F
Feels Like 47.3
img

img

WIND & GUST
0.0 / 0.0 mph
DEWPOINT
43.9 F
PRECIP RATE
0.00 in/hr
PRESSURE
30.21 in
HUMIDITY
88 %
PRECIP ACCUM
0.00 in
UV

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Prepared my Honda push mower for it's winter slumber.
Washed out the underside of mower deck, sharpened the blades, oil change, cleaned and gapped plug, blew out air filter, ran fuel system dry, fogged engine and coated underside of mower deck with Fluid Film.

Gassed up both snow blowers (full maintenance done in spring), both fired up on the first pull and ran well, also exercised the augers and drive train.
Noticed the in line fuel shut off was leaking on the old 10000 series. I had installed this last winter as it came with the new Chinese carb I had ordered and the under tank shut off was not completely shutting off the fuel. I installed a new shut off, which I purchased from the local small engine repair shop, hopefully it is better quality.

I would avoid using any shut off, gas line or fuel filter you get with the cheap Chinese carbs, although the carb seems to be working fine (fingers crossed)

I also picked up a new clutch spring for the old Ariens when I was at the small engine shop. They are a Cub Cadet Dealer and their show room was full of new blowers. The owner said they have sold 30 new machines already, he thinks buyers are worried they will run out of stock due to the COVID shut down earlier this year.

Blowers are patiently waiting for the lake effect snow machine to start up :) ❄❄

snowblowers20201014_131426 (3).jpg

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
How can it be warmer in Canada than in New Jersey
47.3 F
Dunno but we'll take it. It actually hit 18° C ( 64° F ) this afternoon and announcing the same for tomorrow. 20° C ( 68° F ) for Friday

19:[email protected] +13°C ( 55+°F )

:cautious:Piece of advice: If you are going to eat fish take a tic-tac before putting on a face mask or you'll gross yourself out. I learnt the hard way:sick:

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
hahahaha i was thinking something similar when i was at the hardware store after lunch. definitely need something to make your breath smell good as you are breathing it in. i am also hoping masks help the people with bad breath get help since they got to put up with the bad smell all day.

just finished up a yard machine or taken it as far as i am willing to go. only real issue with it is the electric start gear being destroyed. i can't justify spending $50 to replace the gear or starter motor just to maybe make an extra $50. better off to just sell it as is and let them decide. otherwise it is a nice clean machine.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I've done nothing for the past week because I have a herniated disc in my neck that is slowly paralyzing my left arm. Same thing happened to my right arm about 4 years ago. Waiting on an MRI and PT appointments and hopefully I I can avoid surgery again! Getting old sucks.

·
Premium Member
5,389 Posts
had Carl's Jr for lunch. they sure have gone downhill. my wife loves the western bacon burger but they were horrible.

never again. will drive extra for In and Out Burger.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
I've done nothing for the past week because I have a herniated disc in my neck that is slowly paralyzing my left arm. Same thing happened to my right arm about 4 years ago. Waiting on an MRI and PT appointments and hopefully I I can avoid surgery again! Getting old sucks.
Dealing with the same at the moment but my right arm. Nothing worse than projected pain!!! Luckily for me I took the advice of my osteopathe. There is one exercise that actually work. Here it is if I can explain this properly.

Join your hands interlacing your fingers, then put your hands behind your neck bringing your elbows forward and tilt your head backwards letting the weight of your skull do the work. Hold it for 20-30 seconds. Do not force it. You can do this while waiting at a red light or when just sitting watching TV. Do this as often as you wish and in less than a day you'll feel much better. I herniated both sides C6-C7 about 4 years apart. At least now my heads on straight lol , but I'm a quarter inch short like I wasn't short enough before and I can't tilt my head back as much as before.

·
Registered
170 Posts
WHAT DID I DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO???? Had To Go And Wake Up Here Again!!!!!!!! You All Know How Much I HATE When That Happens To Me.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
"Ziggy65", that looks like a clean '68 Mercury Cougar you got there! :p Nice!👌

Claude
Thanks Claude, it was my first car and I have enjoyed it for 38 years, it is definitely a keeper:)

That looks like a sharp 70 Chevelle in your garage.

·
Super Moderator
toro 928 ohxe 38801,
446 Posts
been there, doc's have been in my neck 4 times ,4 levels fused from the front and back and now another feels like it's going bad . it becomes a chain reaction after number 1 . neck, mid and lower back issues here,
yes getting old stinks big time

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Today I repaired a couple of Buick LaCrosse key FOBs flip key. I had to replace the whole case on both, one was really glued tight and was pretty hard to break apart. The other one snap right open.

Price of gold had gone down a couple of days ago so I bought a couple more Krugerrand, added them to the clan.

16:[email protected] +19°C ( +66°F )

·
Premium Member
5,389 Posts
this was donated to my FB group for me to use for parts or get it running to give away. previous owner said it sat outside for 3 years ( probably a lot longer ) and had 2 different small engine shops take a crack at it to get it running.

neither could so he gave it to me. I have a lot more patience so got it running. the drive was locked up also but got it free with some penetrating oil, grease and letting it sit for awhile soaking etc.

just need ( hopefully ) a general service and then will give it away.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I core plugged and over-seeded awhile back, coming in nice....

Picked up my sister's 24hp Craftsman tractor, not going up hilly inclines when she was mowing. Took off the deck, belt looked fine, but appeared to be slipping, ...... I cleaned out many years of grass everywhere, some solidified. Took a test drive , climbs inclines now no problem. I'll grease and lube it up before I bring it back to her.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
it was a pretty crappy day out weather wise. we got quite a bit of rain for most of the day. had the tecumseh carb kits that ordered 2 weeks ago show up. didn't really need them but better to have them and not need them than need them and not have them. may need 1 on the 1 machine at my sisters place. i could see the float bowl seal was leaking and i just couldn't get it to stay running. also sold that MTD machine. had it sold and gone for full asking price less than 24 hours after listing it. i know i listed it lower than similar machines but it did need the electric start gear so i priced it accordingly. i even had multiple people interested in it. i guess i just don't try to get that greedy with them so i am not stuck sitting on them. got 3 parts machines that i am going to have to do something with soon. at least i got the lawn tractor inside so getting at my parts machines should be a bit easier.

16481 - 16500 of 16689 Posts