Snowblower Forum banner

16941 - 16960 of 17058 Posts

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Normally I go over on Tuesdays and play TV Bingo with her. Today for some reason she didn't want me to come over. Then just before Bingo she called to ask if I was coming over.

·
Super Moderator
749 Posts
yes it is hard, one min thier a sweet normal, than with the flip of a switch they go ballistic and not know they have. or they get lost in some odd place in thier life decades before , it's a very sad issue,

·
Registered
812 Posts
My girlfriend is best in the morning. As the day goes on, she gets worse and can lose her temper at night. It is very sad to see it happen to someone you love.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
It just destroyed me today. She has always been the anchor.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
My brothers and sisters don't seem to notice any change. But they visit once every 3 months. I'm there 3 times a week.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Yes, you are there to definitely see the changes. You might take her to the doctor for a full physical and rule out any physical problems that could be causing this behavior. Donepizil, trade name "Aricept" is the drug that can be helpful in delaying onset. My girlfriend would not take it and still denies that she has any cognitive disorder.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Getting a professionnal evaluation done Thursday. I already know the possible results. I just want her to be safe everyday. I love my mom.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
at least she has lived a good long life and didn't have to deal with something like that at a younger age.

apparently my truck parts are in Mississauga so i may actually get them tomorrow which will be awesome. just hope i get them at a decent time. would love to toss that new drag link on and if the weather is nice enough it would be nice to try getting that 1 universal joint swapped out to have 4x4 fixed and working before i need it. i doubt it will even do 3wd. pretty sure it is either 4x4 or 2wd with a open front dif.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
I know. My neighbour's dad is younger than me and already in a home. I feel lucky in a way. We are all healthy physically. I have a bad back but living with it. This new kidney belt sure helps.

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
Don't want to burdend anybody. One day she is fine, the next day she is all over the place. Today was a bad day. She told me off, never ever heard her talk that way to me. Then later she called like it never happened. It's sad to see loved ones go this way.
as long as you know its not personal. my wife went thru this with her Mom.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Today I disassembled the chassis of my 1987 Honda HS80K1TAS into its component parts... All went well until I tried to use my cherished Proto 4749 1/4" ratchet handle to remove a 12mm bolt in a tight location. Broke a tooth off the ratchet wheel...
Well, happy day! 45 days ago I broke my little Proto ratchet handle while disassembling my old Honda HS80. The distributor had quoted 7-10 work days to get the warranty replacement; it finally arrived today. I do like it better than my little 5" Craftsman even though the selector lever works the "wrong" way... The paperwork stated that the current value is $26.99 - Yikes!

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
My mom is turning 90 tomorrow and showing signs of early dimencia. I love my mom and this is stressing me out.
My mother-in-law is 96 now and has lived with us for 14 years in an apartment I made out of my man-cave in the 1st floor addition (the man-cave has moved to the daylight basement). We're in the same situation you describe, but the alternative would be less to our liking... Good days and bad (mean) days, but we're still very happy to have her on this side.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
My mom is turning 90 tomorrow and showing signs of early dimencia. I love my mom and this is stressing me out.
I feel your pain Coby, I went through this with both my parents when they were in their mid to late 70's. My mother was diagnosed with Altzheimers at about the same time as my father got dementia. Her short term memory began to fail and his personality changed from happy go lucky to sad and depressed. My father eventually went into the nursing home first and mom followed him about a year later (we kept her in her home as long as possible, maybe a little too long as she thought she was fine and fought us hard). It was the worst time of my life.
We were able to get them into a good nursing home with caring staff with rooms across from each other. Dad passed away in his sleep on his 81st birthday and mom joined him 6 months later.
I visited them every weekend (4 hour round trip) for 3 or 4 years, (my wife is a saint), we took them shopping, for ice cream, scratch tickets and they loved getting visits from our dogs. At the time I said I will do all I can for them, I don't want to have any regrets.
You sound like you have been a loving caring son, you will have some tough decisions ahead, please rely on family and friends for support. Try not to take what she says personally, it is the disease causing it. Enjoy her good days.
Reach out to the the government agencies in your province who offer assistance for care and guidance as well as the local Altzheimer society.
Please PM me if you have questions, glad to offer any assistance.
Take care
Chris

Reactions: kbz1960

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
Heavy slushy snow. Keep on falling on roof from trees and woke me up at 2 a.m. Been up since.
Cleaned front room, made fire in stove, had some chicken noodle and listening to Frank Sinatra.

Probably back to bed at 6 for a couple hours.......nice being retired and having this option.

·
Super Moderator
749 Posts
lake effects flurries here, enough to turn things white, wonder why the one ski area is making snow, air temps are going back up by friday making it melt away

·
Registered
61 Posts
Still waiting for snow here. All this week and next calls for no precip and sunny to partly cloudy skies. Lot's of wind though.
Waiting to use my new Toro - - - (y)

·
Registered
61 Posts
JT did you hit it with some Fluid Film ? People on here are true believers in FF.
I did. Not sure where to all spray it. I looked for joints in the bucket wellds and elsewhere.
Hope it holds up as well as my Craftsman. I used that machine out in the street with road salt and sand at times.

16941 - 16960 of 17058 Posts