Snowblower Forum banner

16961 - 16980 of 17058 Posts

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
no truck parts for me today. i knew things were moving too fast. should hopefully be here tomorrow. tracking says they were too late to make it onto the truck today. at least fridays weather looks decent temp wise even if i don't get the parts till later should still be able to get them installed Friday hopefully.

otherwise not much done here today. weather is has been pretty cool out so not been doing much work outside.

·
Super Moderator
749 Posts
listening to some of my dads 33 rpm brass horn polka music . now i know for sure i need to get off my six and digitize them all before the disc warp any more,

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
Could have sold this 3 times in the last couple days after a snow . People with cash but they were all the wrong people.This machine is 30 years old and not all parts are available.

When I do sell an old 80 like this one I sell to a mechanic who knows Honda's and knows what they are getting. Never a problem. I have had problems with newbies so usually suggest new or late model Honda.

People sure can get out of joint when you wont sell to them. I dont need the aggravation.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Fired up a 2003 vintage Ariens Pro 1332. Gas is a bit old but is treated and still ran well. Battery tender I kept on it over the summer worked well. Going to run it every week until I run all the old gas out of it, unless we get a decent snow storm soon.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Been awhile (again)...just thought I would check in.

No snow to speak of recently. I have rotated from lawn mowers to snowblowers in the shed. I will probably next week begin firing up the trio, getting them ready for work.

School is online only now, we're down until November 30th. Iowa is in really bad shape with Covid numbers, and my bet is Thanksgiving will only amplify already terrible numbers. The district is already drawing a line in the sand as far as returning 11/30, will know 11/25 if we're out a couple more weeks. My hunch is sort of a trio of scenarios - a), we ain't coming back the 30th (get that rubber stamp out right now) and we'd be lucky if it was 12/14, or b) we'd be even luckier to come back after Xmas break in January, or c) it would not surprise me at all we're not back until sometime after Valentine's Day if not full blown springtime.

My last bus driving day was 11/13...I bid adieu to my kids that afternoon without saying goodbye, rather "I'll see you when I see you" just like I did last March (we never did come back). A part of me believes it'll be the same thing this year. I miss my kids greatly already because I don't believe I will see them for 9 months. Heck, I may never see them again (more on that below).

Been doing training they lined up for us, just to get it all out of the way (yearly stuff per the state). Our driver's pool is so bad (we're down 20+ drivers, mostly from opting out), we're probably reducing total routes...might find out something about that today if not Monday. IF we come back it'll be half the kids each day, and since many buses are only hauling 10 or so kids per trip that last week - I sorta knew it would come to this.

In other news...

My S10 had a transmission issue. It's a vehicle owned by me, so of course I already broke it ;) Not sure of chicken or egg order of issues - but the SES light went off a couple weeks ago. A trip to Autozone confirmed P0740, which is the AT torque convertor clutch solenoid. I took it to a trusted mechanic who stated the TCC solenoid fried, but when they replaced it the ECM also had issues/fried - so a couple new solenoids, a used ECM/reprogramming, fluid/filter/flush, and $550 later, I have my truck back. Looking back at it, there were symptoms I failed to properly recognize going on before it began - those slight symptoms are now gone. It shifts when it is supposed to, no slipping at highway speeds (VERY subtle hesitations occasionally), RPM's stay constant in each gear which hopefully means the TCC is locking 100% again.

Otherwise, have closed my cabin down...have one trip left to check my work as well as prep my X5 for staying there over winter. Parking it in a spot where no damage will result (rocks/tree branches, etc), pulling the battery, closing up the air filter box from mice, then covering it...that kind of thing. I should drive it home, but I have nobody to drive the 2nd vehicle as well as having zero faith it'll actually make it home without the trans failsafe gauntlet coming down yet again (seems to be running fine again). This time next week, I will truly have no more trips to make there until February - so I will begin taking down the two tree trunks remaining at home from derecho damage, as well as the annual winter home cleaning and organizing I do after cabin closing.

I may have a LOT of time on my hands this winter...hopefully they pay us in full like last spring. My hunch is they will considering if they lay us off they'll lose most everybody they have to other jobs. They cannot afford to allow that to happen, finding school bus drivers is a nationwide problem and we aren't immune.

So if we're off but they pay us, it simplifies my immediate future greatly. I do have projects galore that are mostly indoor in variety...stuff got put off because of the derecho timing right before school began. I "saved" my cabin last spring during the Covid off time - same thing would occur here at home.

Otherwise I will have to find a new job at a very very bad time to try to find a new job.

Reactions: Grunt

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
with the winter starting its getting harder and harder to get going in morning. more coffee and procrastinating.

havent found a good heater for garage yet.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Just sitting here wondering how how will "spend my day". May go work in the shop, may just "relax".
My partner works in retail, grocery so "essential" and she exhibited some basic "covid" symptoms yesterday, and was required to go for testing. I'm 68 and have had a cough and sniffles for a week, so I was told to go as well.
Went in at 4 pm, now we are "quarantined" at home until the test results come back..going to be a long 3 days waiting to find out we both "failed" that test, but her workplace and our provincial Work Safe required it.
We have a bit of snow here, but not enough to snow blow, weather has been all over the place -14C with wind chill and 4 inches of snow to +11C and sunshine..then back to the -6C stuff..and a bit more snow.
Orange..don't rush out and get a heater yet..Black Friday coming soon LOL, and lots of good deals..especially this year, and with Covid thinking there will be lots of "clearance" coming soon.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Today I repaired a cluster and HVAC unit , then an other dropped off his cluster repaired but haven't been paid yet.

16:15 @tm +8°C ( +39 °F )

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Reactions: captchas

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
got the drag link and universal joint replaced on the my suv. not really impressed with the new universal joint. had to grind the caps a little to make them clear the hole for the axle. should have spent the extra $10 bought the acdelco one like last time. so far steering feels way better. glad i had a ball joint separator. made popping the joints out easy and you can tell they were in there tight since they released with a pretty good bang. i doubt i would have been able to hammer them joints out. got to grease all the joints while i had it apart. should hopefully be good for a while. i am getting tired of fixing things. next up will be the exhaust. it broke on Tuesday and has been annoying me since.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
2000 are dying a day in the US. That is almost 60,000 in November. Wait after the Holidays.

Total Cases
NewCasesTotalDeathsNew
World57,898,994+662,9561,376,858+11,137
1USA12,277,827+204,179260,331+1,999

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
a fairly good nite sleep. 2 nights in a row.

what am I gonna do with all this energy??? just have to warm up a bit.

16961 - 16980 of 17058 Posts