Snowblower Forum banner

16981 - 17000 of 17057 Posts

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Better than waking up at 2am and doing SUDOKU all night trying to fall asleep then dragging your feet all day.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Take some Melatonin or Diphenhydramine (antihistamine). The latter really works well if I need to use something. Melatonin will make me drowsey, but not necessarily let me sleep soundly all night and is less likely for side effects.

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
Sometimes i feel like i am just spinning my wheels trying to help some people here. do you old pros feel that way?

I mean , all we can go on is the owners description of the problem and we do the best we can with possible solutions based on our experiences .
Then either we dont hear back from them or are told that they dont understand or listen and do what they want anyway. Usually they come back with more problems because they did not want to advice given here in the first place. I say , if you don't want to do it right or want a cheap redneck fix then go someplace else. Go watch some yahoo videos on you-tube.

When I feel like I have wasted my time I get REALLY irritable.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Sometimes i feel like i am just spinning my wheels trying to help some people here. do you old pros feel that way?

I mean , all we can go on is the owners description of the problem and we do the best we can with possible solutions based on our experiences .
Then either we dont hear back from them or are told that they dont understand or listen and do what they want anyway. Usually they come back with more problems because they did not want to advice given here in the first place. I say , if you don't want to do it right or want a cheap redneck fix then go someplace else. Go watch some yahoo videos on you-tube.

When I feel like I have wasted my time I get REALLY irritable.
Well . .. whatever you write to help someone. . . there are always others who come here later maybe for the same problem and the advice given is helpful to them. And. . we may never know because all forums have lurkers and never register to join.
It's all good. .. . I try and remember that as much as possible. (y)

Anyway . . today I applied a little silicone spray lube to the "plastic on plastic/metal" moving parts on both the old and new snowblowers. There was a creak in the interlock hand grip controls on the 'ol Craftsman. Now it's gone. Smooth operating and like new.

Reactions: orangputeh

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Installed the new brake rotors & pads on the left side of the 2007 Honda Civic that my son is giving to my niece. Can't get the rear caliper to retract, so it may require replacement. Will hopefully do the right side tomorrow and swap the new tires onto the wheels.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Are those the type of calipers you have to screw back in with a tool? Did the ones on the Trax a couple weeks ago.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
does it look like the bleeder screws will open? if your going to replace them anyways may as well try opening them up and pressing the piston back in with them open. if they don't move with the bleeder open they are definitely seized.

not a ton going on here today. did some shopping at the farmers market. also had my sister and BIL come down. there ferret was dehydrated and not feeling the greatest and needed some sub Q fluid. since this a fairly common issue for stray cats and my aunt being a crazy cat lady we have had quite a bit experience with this type of thing but usually on a bit larger animals. we definitely saw a slight difference in the ferret. the rest is up to the ferret and my sister/BIL. if that doesn't do the job they are likely in for a pretty expensive vet trip.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
definitely looks like it might be one of them fancy calipers like Coby mentioned. i never get why they got to complicate things that don't need to be this complicated.
\

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
but who actually uses their park brakes? most people are too dumb to use them in an emergency whether they actually work or not.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
I do all the time. Every time I come to a stop I kick it in neutral and apply the parking brake. Then you don't have to keep your foot on the pedal. Also stops better in neutral when you're not fighting the engine.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
If it's a screw type a clamp won't work.
definitely looks like it might be one of them fancy calipers like Coby mentioned. i never get why they got to complicate things that don't need to be this complicated.
Thanks, guys, that's it exactly! Never ran across one of those before. You just saved me a bunch of cursing tomorrow...

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
The tool I showed you is only like $5 at harbour freight and is 3/8 drive.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I do all the time. Every time I come to a stop I kick it in neutral and apply the parking brake. Then you don't have to keep your foot on the pedal. Also stops better in neutral when you're not fighting the engine.
you just don't fall into the "most" category. i know a few people who have had brakes fail and never even thought about trying the park brake.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Never creep ahead or roll back this way when not paying attention.

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
finally got the main jet and emulsion tube out of a 20-30 year oldcarb.

a couple sessions in cleaner didnt help. a coupledays with penetrating oil didnt help.

then used some Marvel Mystery oil in pick up tube.for a day. still wouldnt budge with a screwdriver.

finally used a mini ratchet with screwdriver bit. cute little set of mini ratchet with small sockets and bits. the ratchet is maybe 4 inches long and carefully so as not to damage brass jet broke it free.

only a couple things in life feels better.......

16981 - 17000 of 17057 Posts