Snowblower Forum banner

17781 - 17800 of 17953 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,250 Posts
just made a sizable check to IRS. They overpaid my refund and now they want the money back with penalties and interest....

only in America.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Only time it felt good was when I made a chunk of money on a particular Stock. When you make $165,000 in capital gain you don't mine paying a sizable amount, which in my case turned out to be a little over $29000. I believe that stock was Peregrine Diamond.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
My Dad who farmed in Ontario for over 60 years, always said....." I don't mind paying tax, because it means I made money" Unfortunately, he is not around today to reap the enormous prices received for farm land.

·
Registered
1971-72 910962 s/n-03101 att.-910995 s/n-048006 TEC# H70-130067A s/n-1218R
68 Posts
that just means stores no longer have to take them even tho most place won't even take a $100 these days. they are still always worth face value but you would have to take them to the bank to get that and they are likely worth more to collectors
I wish the USA would get rid of coin.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Played a bit this morning with Juneau, the problem child 922002/HS40. First, ordered and received a new genuine Ariens NOS attachment belt - which had a LOT more meat compared to what appears to be an Oregon belt (but otherwise looked fairly new and good condition). The attachment now engages about a zillion times better (exact measurement on my part I assure you), rakes spin much faster, and the machine now throws a LOT farther/better.

Second, played with the governor/throttle adjustments. I noticed that there seems to be a limit as to what the engine will run with the governor actually working. Meaning, I follow the book in how to "just" increase RPM's, and that appears to offset the governor setting to where it doesn't kick in. Then adjust the governor to where it engages again...drops peak RPM's. No happy medium between the two at 3,550 give or take. So, the sweet spot with current parts seem to be roughly 3,300 rpm - and at that setting, there was a slight but noticeable "bounce/surge" to it.

So I lubed up the various carb linkage parts and while shut down, things seemed to free up a bit. But then with a casual glance before re-assembling everything, I noticed the governor spring seemed to be REALLY stretched out. Best way to describe it is the gov would occasionally hang up (hence the lubing things up), like it simply didn't have enough "spring" to it. Then I noticed that there are uneven gaps in the spring loops and also that the spring is attached at the highest tension spots possible.

Then I remembered a YT video I watched yesterday about surging throttle issues related to a governor spring being a tad bit weak. This guy had settings on the gov arm left to tighten the spring, which solved the issue.

So, I search for the correct part number and found it, found 2 NOS springs for $10 on ebay (figuring that The Badger probably needs one also since it exhibits similar characteristics and is only a month younger by man. date)...ordered, hopefully here soon.

Things seem to make even more sense why all the teeny tiny issues are there yet again...can't hurt, should help. Just putting the puzzle pieces together.

Reactions: Ziggy65

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I wish the USA would get rid of coin.
that would be a slippery slope towards a cashless society. if you don't like coins best to just use plastic. i don't spend much cash anymore but i do miss getting change so i could pull all the collector coins out.

started parting out some of the snowblower parts machines i have. already sold a chute clean out tool. i would have never thought about selling that out of all things but someone wanted it. now hopefully some of the other parts sell that quick. would be nice to get a couple rid of a couple parts machines but still some good usable parts left.

·
Retired Moderator
10,364 Posts
Took the truck in for a bath. Went to Menards and Fleet Farm trying to find a 3/4" bore double pulley for my Ariens project, nothing. Wanted to get something local at least to trial fit before figuring out what final diameter I wanted to end up with.
Like Radio Shack it seems the box stores are turning more and more to faster moving stuff and limiting their variety. I really miss Radio Shack.
Want to make one of the snowblowers into a trailer tug. Hope to dig out one of the Spirit or (MTD) I have and pull the auger housing off to start the conversion. I have one with broken augers and another with a beat-up housing. Have to figure out which will be the volunteer.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Want to make one of the snowblowers into a trailer tug. Hope to dig out one of the Spirit or (MTD) I have and pull the auger housing off to start the conversion. I have one with broken augers and another with a beat-up housing. Have to figure out which will be the volunteer..
View attachment 173582
is that double pulley on the machine in the picture not 3/4" bore? i pulled one off a machine last night just like it. the pulleys are also 2 piece pulleys so you could widen them with spacers if you needed to run a belt wider than 3/8"

that pretty cool. does the other mtd have a single shaft engine? only reason i ask is that the friction plate on a single shaft has a larger pulley so it would likely allow the machine move a bit slower in all gears but help create a bit more torque

·
Registered
223 Posts
that would be a slippery slope towards a cashless society. if you don't like coins best to just use plastic. i don't spend much cash anymore but i do miss getting change so i could pull all the collector coins out.

started parting out some of the snowblower parts machines i have. already sold a chute clean out tool. i would have never thought about selling that out of all things but someone wanted it. now hopefully some of the other parts sell that quick. would be nice to get a couple rid of a couple parts machines but still some good usable parts left.
I always keep several hundred bucks on me. You never know when you might need it.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I always keep several hundred bucks on me. You never know when you might need it.
you should always keep some cash on you. i still do even tho most of my spending is on credit. there are still some places i buy stuff that usually only take cash like the farmers market. most them could probably accept other other payment but that would likely brings costs up. bad enough the cost of the stuff i like has been going up over the last couple years.

·
Registered
232 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
These belts seem to last forever, the one I took off wasn't even really worn so I hung it on a nail on the wall of my garage as a spare.

17781 - 17800 of 17953 Posts