Snowblower Forum banner

18681 - 18700 of 18795 Posts

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
First vaccine shot today. Hope to duck side effects but next couple days will tell. Just happy to be able to get in to get it..
Glad you got the first shot Mark. I got my second shot of Pfizer today and hopefully like the first shot, no side effects, yet!

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Based on the Ontario government's vaccine roll out schedule, I don't expect to receive my vaccine any sooner than September🙁.

My wife has a compromised immune system and severe respiratory issues, hopefully she will get hers a little sooner, but it will probably be September as well.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Yesterday, I evidently had plenty of motivation to simply Do Something, and I certainly accomplished that. Learned something new too regarding snowblowers.

I was able to further work on the shed, combining two spots for handled yard stuff into one in the left front corner. I now have I believe 8 different items hanging in an 18" area. Dunno why I didn't attempt that the first time. But, it means I can now create a wall shelf stand for my miter saw on that side (getting it off the floor).

I was also able to free up the drive lever allen wrench set screws on Juneau and The Badger, which were rusted in. This allowed me to ease up on the lever "pull" required to engage the wheels. Hopefully I dialed them in correct to where I don't have to re-adjust - plus eliminating right hand cramps.

Then I just HAD to try my first impeller mod. I've read a bunch of threads here thru the years, watched many a Youtube video, etc - so I thought I was finally read to try this out. The Badger, having had the chute rivets removed and screws installed a couple years ago - seemed like the proper test vehicle. What was interesting is the impeller for Juneau has very little gap - Badger's was much wider (the machines are exact same model/year), which confirms why this machine makes tootsie rolls efficiently with the really wet stuff.

But as with all learning opportunities, there tends to be a bit of 1 step forward, 2 back, then 2 steps forward 1 back thing when learning - so it take twice as long. I used 1/8" x 1" flat aluminum for the mounts, 1/4"-20 stainless hardware, corded tire sidewall remnants left over from the plastic wheel re-treading done on both 922002's - and bought a cobalt 1/4" drill bit which made very easy work of the steel and aluminum. Should have bought some tractor belt, but tried to save some money with the sidewalls (which should still work - brand new tires, corded, fairly thick/flat, etc).

Probably the most difficult thing about it was with 22k series the chute opening is small. My hands are not small. This made things quite fiddly regarding drilling and mounting. I pre-cut the rubber hoping it would be the correct size - then learned one more or less has to fully mount the pieces first, turn the impeller to check the fit (which means in effect cutting the pieces over-sized), then trim the rubber back as necessary - so I am taking apart each blade's rig numerous times. The 1st two were laborious, the next two went a lot better.

Given that I began about 330pm, I was out in the shed to roughly 8pm - and it got pretty darn cold given I began in sunlight and warmth (wasn't wearing a coat) and ended in dark and cold. I was dead tired, very sore from hunching over, and didn't have proper tools to really do it up right. A small drill press, a vise, a work table, and a swivel socket adaptor would have been nice to have. I have 4 socket sets but not one swivel adaptor in any of them (writes down on post-it of Things To Buy)!

I have most the hard work done, gonna go out here in a little bit and recut 2 pieces of rubber for better fit (too big, turns but drags) and maybe build 2 new ones (too small, still a slight gap). I could leave them alone, as it sits it will be better (gaps were pretty big)...just want to get it all done the best I can, then re-assemble. Should go faster now that I know what I'm doing, just waiting for the sun to come up.

Forecast is for a wet sloppy potential 3-4" of snow today, probably beginning about 11am. Hoping I have everything together and ready to go by then. My hands are all torn up unfortunately. Nothing serious but 3 fingers now have band-aids with 1st aid cream protecting them (and they're all a bit swollen/sore). That's where having my vise at home (have one I rarely use at my cabin) and nice work shelf would have been REALLY nice to have.

That's the next shed interior project. Nothing fancy, just a table/shelf on the wall space I just created that I can pivot down out of the way when not in use. Pre-drill holes for the miter saw, vise, etc...hardware to mount securely yet disassemble quickly. Should be easy to create.

·
Registered
529 Posts
The weekly Costco and grocery run yesterday. Fairly busy day on tap today, replace a thermostat in the ensure, take my son to an appointment, get caught up on a few things in the home office and setup the slow cooker with an inside round oven roast.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
please don't get me going on that subject ziggy . age 73, major health issues, who knows where on the waiting list .
I got my first shot one week after calling the VA. Give it a try Charles.

Reactions: Jesse11B

·
Registered
803 Posts
Welp...fixed up the impeller pads, checked my work...the tolerances now on all 4 blades is pretty darn near perfect. One or two were still a tad tight but running the auger for about 5 minutes, whatever pads were scraping seated and now she spins great.

It's amazing how easily things become once you somewhat know what you're doing.

Still frustrating morning though - for whatever reason Badger is throwing the drive belts repeatedly. New tensioner spring, new aftermarket (Pix I believe) belts. I changed back to some used genuine Ariens and once again it seems to be fine. The only difference in the belts are the Pix belts are more trapezoidal than triangular...I suspect they simply do not seat down in the sheave enough.

I also changed out the attachment belt to a genuine Ariens...thought I had done that a while back, evidently not. The one I replaced was beginning to show signs of peeling (aftermarket belt)...she now spins great.

Looks like I need to go belt shopping yet again.

Then as I was testing, the throttle cable came out of the clasp at the lever control. I may drill a hole in the nameplate to run that cable straight coming out of the lever assembly to free it up some - pretty tight bend running the cable behind the plate. It'll look dorky, but it should free things up.

Snow just to our west, should be here within the hour.

I ate nothing but a handful of chips and dip yesterday, I am HUNGRY. Gonna cook up some boneless skinless chicken thighs here in a moment. Think I'm gonna deep fry them with some Louisiana breading mixed with Old Bay.

Mmmmmmm, fried chicken.

Reactions: Grunt

·
Registered
03 Simlicity 860Ei, 76 Ariens 922022
106 Posts
I am paying bills today, gotta be done.
Need to get out with the dogs. Sunny, 30f and calm.

·
Super Moderator
6,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #18,694
i went over to
20210221_140127.jpg
20210221_140246.jpg
20210221_140331.jpg
20210221_140500.jpg
20210221_140544.jpg
my mom's for a few hours then made a stop at ford park on the way home

·
Registered
803 Posts
Welp...got about 3". Very wet stuff. The impeller mod seemed to do the trick, threw very nicely (better than this machine had been from a "throwing" aspect). Chute stayed clear the entire time.

OK, Mother Nature. Bring on next week's sunshine so I can see my driveway at some point in February.

Reactions: Darby

·
Registered
479 Posts
Moved some snow around with the snowblower to make a ramp for the kids to play on. I just want them to do stuff outdoors since it's getting warmer. Good times today. Happy to see the kids playing outside.

Still trying to figure out the click click noise on the Toyota Corolla, it has 238,000 miles.. Sounds like coming from the rear when I turn, doesn't make the sound all the time. Only happens once in a while. Put the car on the jack stands, spin the wheels. Everything rotating smoothly. Shake the wheel at 3 - 9 oclock, and then again at 6 and 12 oclock, nothing.... Took the rear wheels and rear drum brake off the car, inspected the hub and suspension. Nothing....

I'm tempted to replace the rear wheel bearing/hub. I have a new replacement hub/bearing assembly on hand. I just don't like throwing parts at a problem that I haven't isolated. It's $300 in parts that I don't want to waste. The rear suspension doesn't seem to have sign of problems. Will keep on looking for the root cause.

Also, I took an afternoon nap. My daughter asked if I was going to take a nap. I said absolutely since I am feeling sore and tired after moving all that snow around.

18681 - 18700 of 18795 Posts